Modifying Robot Eyes

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
TSXMike
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Modifying Robot Eyes

Post by TSXMike »

So I'm wondering why the robot's eyes will not be animated once modified in rbotedit. I'm guessing it may be a frame count mismatch. Its just something I've been messing with lately.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Modifying Robot Eyes

Post by LightWolf »

RBoTEdit breaks all animated textures from what I've seen.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
TSXMike
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TSXMike »

How is it done then? I am guessing rbotedit would be limited here leaving me with HAXMEDIT32 or one of the polymodal construction programs?
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Each robot replacement entry on HXM files stores information about the textures you're replacing over the original model, but it has some limitations.
When using animated texture info on HXM files, you must replace a texture on the robot that already has an animated texture slot, as those are referencing pecific frames specified on the original HAM and PIG files.

i.e. if the robot doesn't uses any animated textures, and you replace some of those with an animated one, it won't be animated in game.
Another more tricky example:
Suppose that a robot uses rbot010 on the body, and eye01 on its eyes. If you happen to replace the body texture with an animated texture (like ctrl01, as an example), the texture won't be animated at all because originally rbot010 is not animated. BUT you can replace the eye01 texture from the eyes with another animated texture, as long as it has the same framecount (IIRC) like eye04, and it will be animated in game.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

It seems like RBoTEdit removes some animation data though. I've replaced only static textures with static textures before and the animated one still stops animating.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter