Install Win 10 1903?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Install Win 10 1903?

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'm now being offered Windows 10 version 1903 on my one gaming system. Should I wait and let the bugs get sorted out, or go for it?

Also, the other system I want to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 is using Intel's Rapid Storage Technology for the RAID setup. I hear on the internet grapevine that 1903 doesn't play nice with older versions of Intel's RST software, specifically versions listed between 15.1.0.1002 and 15.5.2.1053. My problem is, that one Win 7 system of mine has a really old version numbered down in the 11's that's not even mentioned for the versions that are having issues. It doesn't even have an Optane drive anyway. I'm almost hesitant to try to upgrade it until I find an answer.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Install Win 10 1903?

Post by Krom »

The 1903 rollout has been pretty uneventful so far, I've been running it for like 3 months already.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I’ve been having issues with 1903 having to do with deleting the file before the one selected while deleting files that are on the drive in sequence.

Example if there is a sequence such as…

Filex (003)
Filex (004)
Filex (005)
Etc…

If I delete filex (004) Filex (003) also gets deleted.

I have also seen some weird stuff, such as when I shut down OneDrive using Group Policy, I found some random folders in my Quick Access afterwards.

I also lost some functionality on my Media PCs XFi Titanium HD sound card, this is a known issue, with no resolution in sight.

I didn’t really want to upgrade, but with Windows 7 support coming to an end….
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Hmmm, I think I'll give it another month, like September. MS needs to get their act together before they start pushing these hornet's nests of updates on all us beta testers in the wild. I read that anyone with 1803 is now getting 1903 pushed onto their machines too, even if they have a metered connection. I'm still sitting pretty with 1809 and August is going to be too busy for me to deal with a messed up OS on 2 different Win 10 systems no less. The Win 7 system is a way later project.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well I haven't been able to reproduce that delete glitch, so maybe it was just a fluke.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

:o https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... -down.html

What about blocking video driver updates on 1903 Krom? I've been able to do it just fine on 1809, but it seems 1903 is hell bent on forcing video driver updates. Makes me wonder what Microsloth is smoking these days.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Windows 10 forcing them to update to a newer nvidia driver is probably because a couple months or so back the nvidia driver update included several patches for critical kernel mode security vulnerabilities, which means windows update treats it as a critical security update and won't take an older driver for an answer.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

That's just lovely. I went ahead and installed 1903. But after all was said and done, every Steam game I had previously downloaded vanished. Now I've got to reinstall every damn game...again. Nothing happened to any of the Ubisoft games I had installed either. :rant:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Now it's even weirder. The first time I went into Steam and file explorer after the update, nothing was there except for an empty Steam folder. The second time I went into Steam and file explorer, everything was back where it's supposed to be. Just effing strange.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea, 1903 is buggy, the network tree wont display in file explorer on my work PC…heh, I’m sure it’s punishment for disabling OneDrive.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I still have One Drive active, so Microsuish shouldn't give me grief about it. Another change happened too. I have an ASUS motherboard with all the lights and displays on the cooler and heatsink. The RYUO program that operates those goodies is on a little USB drive partition on the main OS drive. Well, Windows AGAIN bitches that there's a problem and it can't scan the drive. Uh, it's not supposed to scan the thing because it's a program's partition, so that's why it nags upon every bootup. The solution is to disable that little usb drive partition in the Device Manager, which thankfully doesn't disable the program. I had it disabled before 1903, but in MS's infinite wisdom, when they installed the new version of 10, they re-enabled it. So essentially after installing this version of Windows, I have to go back through and "fix" everything that I "fixed" before. So that means it will probably happen every time MS rolls out a major update. :roll:
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well...the last update reactivated OneDrive...go figure...right.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

The big updates always reactivate onedrive, been that way since the beginning.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Anyone with Win 10 1903 run into this issue with the last Friday MS update? I've got 2 machines running 1903 and so far this clusterf**k of an update is optional. It seems hit or miss whether you get a redlined CPU on your machine. But if a user had altered their computer's search parameters before installing this update, it's a guaranteed issue.

https://www.askwoody.com/2019/microsoft ... ve-update/

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/t ... ilization/