Lighting Question

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
TSXMike
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Lighting Question

Post by TSXMike »

So there are some places in a level where I want to have light without a light texture being there. I know you can temporarily put a light texture there, run the light tool, and then remove the light texture. This works well for my inquiry. However, this means I have to temporarily set the textures all over the level, and if I want to make ONE change to the lighting, then I gave to temporarily do it all over again. This makes it difficult to make one change.

So my question: Is there another way to set lighting to a face or segment without temporarily adding a lamp texture and running the light tool?
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Lighting Question

Post by vision »

Yes it can be done, but it's actually easier to run the light tool and remove the textures. I used to manually light my mines by adjusting the cube light for all the vertices, but that's a huge pain in the but. Hopefully someone else will come to this thread and offer a shortcut. I don't know of any off-hand, though I've only made about a dozen mines.
TSXMike
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TSXMike »

With all that was done with DLE, there's gotta be a way to run the light tool for only a selected or tagged segment or face.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I mean there technically is, but from my experience it typically results in the editor crashing.

As far as lighting a face without a light, there are ways to do it without a visible light, but there is still a light there. This can be done either by making the primary texture a light of choice and putting a solid texture as the overlay, or by using the empty_light texture as an overlay (which was designed for this purpose).
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
TSXMike
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TSXMike »

I didn't know there was an empty_light texture. Which one is it?
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

In the light section of the texture picker there is a solid white texture. This is the one.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
TSXMike
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TSXMike »

I noticed the brightness slider in the texture tab at the bottom. This seems to do that. I still have to experiment around with it to get a feel for it.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yeah, these days with DLE that's a much easier way to do it, gives you more control, and it looks better.
It is designed to work especially with D2X-XL, which I think can read the brightness values directly, but it also bakes the resultant lighting into the map for every other version of the game.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.