Problem with changing descent.pig size

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Problem with changing descent.pig size

Post by Xfing »

I'm working on a texture patch right now (not unlike UUD2SP) for both D1 and D2, and there is a problem I've run into in D1.

After replacing some textures in DTX with fixed versions, the size of descent.PIG increases by a few kilobytes. It is not a problem for DLE or Descent while run under DosBox, but unfortunately Rebirth looks at the size of Descent.PIG and if it doesn't match, it just exits with no error message right after the title screen. It's different than if descent.PIG is missing - in that case there'll be an error message. I've noticed that this file size gets changed regardless of whether you export the textures using DTX and just reimport them with an offset (that's what's needed to fix the alignment of one of the monitors), or export them with DLE and make the adjustment in some outside graphics software. After replacing the 10 frames of the monitor, the file is always bigger by approximately 24 kb.

Descent 2 Workshop doesn't have the function of messing with D1's PIG archive as of yet, but the size of the respective D2 PIG archives also increases when importing one texture over another, so it'll probably still be the same in D1. It's not a problem for D2X-Rebirth though, as it doesn't match game data files by their sizes.

So is there anything I can do to import permanent replacement textures into descent.PIG without the size of the file changing?
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Problem with changing descent.pig size

Post by Xfing »

Alright, apparently Arne was able to code up a tool that was able to make the change without changing the file's size. Thread redundant. I'll be making a more exciting one soon :P
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6