If you're so healthy, would you have sex with someone with syphilis?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

If you're so healthy, would you have sex with someone with syphilis?

Post by Ferno »

Doctor just straight up crushes the guy who called in.

Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: If you're so healthy, would you have sex with someone with syphilis?

Post by Jeff250 »

I don't know if this is the best argument, since it would have been easy for a more quick-witted antivaxer to argue that STDs aren't a great analogy here and show some statistics on how, unlike many STDs, almost everyone clears COVID with zero lasting consequences to themselves. The argument for vaccinating and wearing masks, while valid, is also very subtle and nuanced. I think the seat belt analogy is a good argument for when antivaxers ask, if XXX works, then why do people who do XXX still get sick? (The fallacy being the assumption that if something is effective then it must be 100% effective...) You still wear a seat belt even if it can't save your life in every car crash. The seat belt analogy also works to help explain why you should do something to protect yourself even if there is a very small chance of death otherwise (because even though the probability of getting in a deadly car crash is low, the cost of wearing a seat belt is even lower), and it also helps to diffuse the argument that you shouldn't take a vaccine because they can kill you (a seat belt can, extremely rarely, kill you too, but the risk of the seat belt killing you is dwarfed by the chance of it saving your life). There are likely some other good analogies out there to help folks overcome fallacies when thinking about vaccines or masks, but I think that this STD one would break down pretty quickly if you're dealing with an antivaxer who is a bit more quick witted.

I'm not sure if anything really helps if the antivaxer believes in a completely different universe of facts though. Like, if someone thinks that the vaccine contains microchips or something, I'm not sure if there is any easy way to convince them otherwise, and, even if you do, they'll be able to come up with new conspiracy theories faster than you'll be able to debunk them (Brandolini's law).
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

There are directed energy weapons that create pestilence in people who know there's no corona virus, but they don't know it, all they know is the vaccine is bogus. The weapons are fired at people who don't believe it, then they have to take the vaccine to fit the narrative on the news.

This is a bit off topic so I'll say this: I don't want to have sex.
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Somehow I don't think that will be an issue for you.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

It won't, and I don't need the likes of you to tell me that.
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I somehow get the feeling Burly's comment was sarcastic/satirical, Top Gun...
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Maybe a better analogy would be Typhus. Since some people can carry it and be asymptomatic, would you want someone with bad bathroom hygiene preparing your meals? Think of Typhoid Mary. She was a cook by profession and wasn't very careful with her hand washing after using the bathroom. They practically had to lock her up to keep her from infecting people in the places she worked because she refused to quit her chosen occupation and refused to believe she was a carrier.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.