Intel Management Engine updating process

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Intel Management Engine updating process

Post by Tunnelcat »

I've got a boutique builder laptop with a Clevo P7xxTM1 motherboard. I can't seem to obtain an updated BIOS for this board, either from Clevo or the system manufacturer, though I was able to enable TPM 2.0 in the settings. But the Intel Management Platform is from 2018 and I'd like to update that for security reasons. What's the best way to update this? I see it listed in the Device Manager and has an update this driver button, but is that the best way to go? Do I uninstall the old one first or just click on Update and let er rip?
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Intel Management Engine updating process

Post by Krom »

Try just clicking update and let it rip.

Would really be optimal to just disable it entirely, but that is probably not reasonably possible.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'll give it a whirl then and cross fingers.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, trying to update from the Device Manager was worthless. It claimed it was the newest driver. 2018, yeah. Pbbfft! :roll: So I went to Intel and downloaded the actual package. I ran the installer (Windows bitched it wasn't certified in the MS store) and it's now updated and seems happy. At least the rev number lists the new version in the Device Manager.