Windows and different versions of SSD's for storage

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Windows and different versions of SSD's for storage

Post by Tunnelcat »

My gaming rig has two older 2T Samsung EVO 860 storage drives for my games. It's now a slightly older platform for Samsung and it's mostly their newer EVO 870's being offered for sale. My question is, will Windows 10/11 notice the difference in the storage stack and/or will there be a performance impact if I add a third SSD, but in the newer Samsung EVO 870 2T? The read/write speeds might be somewhat different between the older 860's and a newer 870 I'm guessing. I also understand that the volume size difference might cause problems if I were to get a 4T SSD drive on top of the two 2T's I already have, but that's a different question.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Windows and different versions of SSD's for storage

Post by Krom »

No difference, basically all recent (last ~3 years) NVMe drives beyond the slowest of the slow QLC+DRAMless drives are well beyond the basic windows single user requirements to max out responsiveness that they are all but indistinguishable from each other and you can mix and match whatever you need.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Windows and different versions of SSD's for storage

Post by Tunnelcat »

They're regular 2.5 inch internal SSD drives bought within the last 3 years when the system was built, but I doubt that makes a difference. Thanks Krom.

Well, I've got to put the stop to getting an extra SSD for a bit until supplies rebound. My system contains the 860 Pro SSD's, not the EVO's. Alas, they're also very hard to find at a decent price right now, even the 870 Pro's and those seem to be their best SSD's for longevity and speed. :frown:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.