750w PSU for Core i5 13600k + possible Geforce 1660 ti

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

750w PSU for Core i5 13600k + possible Geforce 1660 ti

Post by Pumo »

Hello everyone.
I'm building a new system and already bought many of the most important components.

This is what I got now:
Core i5 13600k, AORUS B760M Elite AX Motherboard, DeepCool AK620 CPU cooler, CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh case and an EVGA SuperNOVA 750GT PSU (it's a 750w 80 plus Gold one).

I will use both a 1TB Crucial SSD and 1TB 7200 RPM HDD from my current build as well as my current GeForce 1060 6GB, and will also buy a 970 Evo or 980 PRO 1TB M.2 SSD, 32GB (2x16) DDR5 RAM, a couple of extra case fans, and perhaps later during this year (or even next year) I might get a 1660 ti or a 3060 ti at most, it depends on budget.

Now according to both Outervision's and PC Part Picker calculators I'm pretty good with the 750w PSU I bought even if I ever get a 3060 ti, as even in that case I wouldn't get more than 515/542w but I want to make sure I made a good buy, as I found the PSU at a pretty nice price at a local store and decided to go for it.
Thought it was a pretty good deal taking in account I'm still with my 1060 and it's more plausible for me to maybe get a 1660 ti than the 3060.

But just to make sure and even if some people already told me that 750w is more than enough for my build, I would like to read some extra opinions from here, specially Krom's as he always gives pretty good advice. :P
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: 750w PSU for Core i5 13600k + possible Geforce 1660 ti

Post by Krom »

Should be totally fine, the RTX 3060 default TDP is 170 watts and while gaming the CPU will probably not exceed 100 watts. HDDs and SSDs are trivial, a bunch of case fans together may use more power than a SSD. I wouldn't expect the full load gaming to go much over 400w in that configuration.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Ok, that's pretty cool, glad to know I'm on the right track with this build.
Thanks a lot Krom!
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Just for further reference, I plugged only my tower into a kill-a-watt meter and ran Rage 2 for a half hour or so and I saw around 630w peak and that is with a 9900k and a 3080 Ti, the CPU was reporting around 90w of load and the GPU was reporting 385w. My PSU is a seasonic 850w 80 plus gold rated unit, so assuming about 87% efficiency the total system load was around 550w and that is with a GPU that is more than double the TDP of a 3060.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

That's pretty reassuring for sure!

By the way, on a side note, I found that my Aorus B760M motherboard has two CPU 12v ATX connectors, a 4-pin one labeled as ATX_12V_2X2 and a 8-pin one labeled as ATX_12V_2X4, as can be seen on the manual: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/ ... 4359c77a60

My PSU offers one 8-pin CPU cable and two 4-pin CPU cables with their respective outlets (both are 8-pin labeled as CPU1 and CPU2).
For my 13600k, should I connect both cables (8-pin and a 4-pin) on the motherboard to have a total 12-pins connected to the PSU, or should I only connect the 8-pin one and ignore the extra 4-pins?

I read on Reddit and some other places that the extra 4-pin connector is optional and only used in case of Overclocking, but I also read that it could bring more stability to the CPU in general, even for the 13600k, and that it doesn't makes any damage to have both connected and it would be the best practice.
However, on the other hand on a couple of forums I even read that It could actually damage the CPU or Mobo if I connect the extra 4-pins. (?)
Very inconclusive information. :?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

They connect into the same voltage plane so plugging in all of them is just distributing the load over a wider area/number of pins. So I don't know what the forums saying it could damage the mobo or CPU were smoking but it just doesn't work that way. Plug them all in, it will be fine.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Ok, cool, I will connect the 12-pins then.

Now it comes another question for this build, lol. :P
The case comes with three included fans and an ARGB SATA-powered fan hub with 4 fan headers, as can be seen here: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/ca ... d500-mesh/ .

The three included fans from the case are already connected to three fan and led headers on the hub, but I also bought a pack of 3 CoolerMaster Sickleflow 120mm fans (that can be daisy chained) as I plan to have 6 fans on the case.
Can I connect the three daisy-chained Sickleflow fans to the remaining free 4th led and fan headers on the hub safely, or it's too much for a single header and would get a power/current issue doing it this way?

Note that the individual Sickeflow fans rated current is 0.15A, with their RGB Rated current as 0.21A.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

The standard limit for a 3/4 pin fan header is 1 amp so it should be fine, a SATA powered hub has up to 4.5 amps available. No guarantee the RGB nonsense doesn't impact it though, just don't put it next to anything flammable.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Ok, looking at the installation instructions of the Sickleflow and a couple of videos it seems only the ARGB part is connected via daisy-chain, while the PWM is connected through a separate splitter.
So I think I will connect just the ARGB to the hub, so I can be able to control the leds of all 6 fans through both the reset button and software, while the PWM will be connected directly to one of the available mobo headers.
This will reduce the stress to the hub even further.