Lithium

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Lithium

Post by woodchip »

A large lithium deposit has been found on the Nevada/Oregon may be the worlds largest. Hurray! Oh but we are forgetting the environmental impact:
The extraction of lithium can, depending on the methods used, emit vast amounts of CO2, contaminate groundwater with dangerous heavy metals, and guzzle tons of fossil fuels. Its environmental toll shouldn't be overlooked in the rush to green transportation infrastructure.
But don't worry, in their zeal to make ev's to save the planet, The environmentalist will overlook all this.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Lithium

Post by Tunnelcat »

You mean damage the planet, just like oil fracking does right now in the form of permanently poisoned ground water? Maybe you should saunter over to a few of those PA residential neighborhoods that are sitting above said oil fields currently being fracked and have them show you the neat trick of how they can light their well water on fire, right out of their faucets.

But you're also forgetting that Lithium has been found in the Salton Sea, where it can be mined in evaporation ponds. Maybe they'd like some of those economic riches for their economically depressed area like Texas has had for decades.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Don't worry all of that Lithium is probably on sacred land next to the sacred mountain right near the sacred river and feeding the sacred animals under the sacred sky and the sacred clouds.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Spidey wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:04 am Don't worry all of that Lithium is probably on sacred land next to the sacred mountain right near the sacred river and feeding the sacred animals under the sacred sky and the sacred clouds.
And the right wing has the nerve to complain when other people mock their religion. :roll:
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I'm an equal opportunity religion mocker.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

I make a land acknowledgement before ordering at McDonalds.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I just hope they can use the lithium without making a toxic lake.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Mining for oil is also a very carbon intensive process, then they just burn it up releasing even more carbon into the atmosphere and have to start all over again from scratch. Lithium is recyclable, once it is out of the ground it can be used over and over again.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

And storing coal ash is currently more contaminating to the environment than mining lithium. The map on this site is revealing as to the large number of toxic lakes we have sitting around just in the U.S. alone. And I dare woody to find any scientific evidence that those ash ponds are safe.

https://earthjustice.org/features/coal- ... -sites-map
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

There's an abandoned copper mine in Butte , Montana that created a lake of acid called the Berkeley Pit that burns birds form the inside out.

I've seen Lithium refineries and they're mostly exposed to the open air. I know we need the business, but mining in the US has a history of leaving long-term negative effects.
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

And things are done that way because it's more profitable, good for business and makes them more money. Money is king, even with liberal-minded endeavors.