Don't Panic! - a set of very smol maps for D1

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

ShivanHunter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Don't Panic! - a set of very smol maps for D1

Post by ShivanHunter »

https://sectorgame.com/dxma/mission/?m=2123

Had these gathering dust on my hard drive for years, thought I'd go ahead and clean them up for release.

A set of 30 small levels, roughly "Descent-1-shaped" in terms of environment design and enemy selection (this means bosses on 7 and 27, and look for secret exits on 10, 21 and 24) with a twist: All levels consist of only 42 cubes/segments! Inspired by the timeless Descent Vignettes as well as various constrained mapping projects in the Descent and Doom communities :)

Tested with D1X-Rebirth 0.59.100 (with dodgeable homing missiles). Should be vanilla-compatible except for the MIDI soundtrack (All credits go to Id Software). Co-op starts are placed in each level, but not tested at all.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Don't Panic! - a set of very smol maps for D1

Post by vision »

Very cool, I'm happy to have another D1 level set! I played the first several levels but the bad thing about small, novelty levels is that it feels like you're playing the same level over and over again. There is no sense of exploration, no tension, just a puzzle you have to shoot though. I'll likely finish it this week but I don't know if it has the replayability that Vignettes has. Good work nonetheless though!
ShivanHunter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ShivanHunter »

Thanks :) Yeah there's certainly not much to explore with only 42 segments. My hope is that the levels are varied enough to be interesting. Have fun!
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Yeah I can't even bring myself to finish it. Stopped at level 10. It's just the same thing over and over. Guess I'm not the target audience.