Comments on new build components?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Comments on new build components?

Post by dissent »

Nope, haven't tried that yet. Been avoiding it since everything is working ok once it does boot up and it (the load optimized defaults thing) doesn't annoy me that much (yet). That could change.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Oh lookee; a couple things.

I ran across a story talking about a recently discovered "PKfail" vulnerability that affects many systems, and I presume, perhaps my Gigabyte mb. Should I be worried about this?

In the course of searching around that issue, I decided to determine the secure Boot status of my build, and i see that it is turned off. Should I turn it on?

I guess I'm glad I opted for the i7 processor instead of the i9. Is there really a risk of a 50% failure rate for the i9?
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I've heard reports that the i7s and i5s are failing too. Even the Xeons are starting to break down, it hit the whole stack.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Hey. Awesome. Guess I should start a clock

more info here -
https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/26/2420 ... oltage-q-a

Looks like I better get up to speed on that mb BIOS update after all. Yuck. I was not at all impressed with the clarity of Gigabyte's info that last time I looked. Oh well ....
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

was a bit of an adventure getting the BIOS updated but it's done now. Went smoothly once I was able to find the BIOS update file while in the Qflash screen. Was mildly annoyed that I had to reset my PIN.
The BIOS screen looks quite a bit different once it's been updated.
Also seems like it may have fixed my boot failure issue (so far)

Now just have to wait for the Intel microcode fix.

EDIT - looks like the FJh bios update microcode fix for the 0x129 voltage overheating issue has dropped. Previous bios update was to the FJe version, which has been working fine so far.
Haven't been stressing this system much at all, so I think I'll hold off on this update for a couple weeks and see if any early adopters are showing issues.