CD-ROM boot record

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

CD-ROM boot record

Post by thewolfe »

CD-ROM boot record

CD-ROM boot record

CD-ROM and Floppy don't work.

Get a message at "bootup" which says

Boot Record from CD-ROM not found
Boot Record from Floppy not found

Can't load drivers because of the above but don't think it's that anyway.

Any suggestions?
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Have you, by accident, enabled "Boot from CD-ROM" as the primary boot option? Usually you do this to install an OS from a bootable CD-ROM, but once it's installed, you enter the BIOS and disable the CD-ROM as primary boot option and raise the HDD to be No.1 on the list.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

It was always set w/ CD 1st, Floppy 2nd and HD 3rd.

I did change it around but it made no difference on the CD-ROM or floppy working.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by thewolfe:
<b>
Get a message at "bootup" which says

Can't load drivers because of the above but don't think it's that anyway.

Any suggestions?</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This just means that you don't have a bootable floppy or CD present. Perfectly normal, IOW. If you're having some sort of problem, perhaps you could elaborate?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
<b>
Usually you do this to install an OS from a bootable CD-ROM, but once it's installed, you enter the BIOS and disable the CD-ROM as primary boot option and raise the HDD to be No.1 on the list.
</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't really matter, if there's no floppy or CD, it will still boot to the hard drive - it's just the boot order / priority. Having the hard drive first in the boot order just makes POST a little quicker.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

The boot order would not, in my humble opinion, have anything to do w/ the CD-ROM and floppy not working once the computer was "up and running".
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

Are you saying they don't work once windows boots if so check the power connecters and the cables to make sure they are plugged in tight.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

yeah wolfe - we need more info. Be specific about your problem. Currently you got us guessing rather than giving educated and informed suggestions.

I recommend removing all boot items except the HDD. Like whatsisface says, boot times are shorter.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Don't know what else to tell you.

Neither the CD_ROM nor the floppy work and the message at bootup says:

The computer works fine other than that.

Running Win98 Pent 111 128 MN.

Let me know what else I can tell you.

What about trying to something in DOS trying to repair the boot record or trying to repair windows. Ops, can't repair because of no CD-ROM or floppy.

Here we go loopdy.........
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Have you tried resetting your BIOS back to the default settings? Then set the FDD first, HDD second, CDROM third and try it then.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Haven't tried that yet, but why not.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by thewolfe:
<b> Don't know what else to tell you.

Neither the CD_ROM nor the floppy work and the message at bootup says:

The computer works fine other than that.

Running Win98 Pent 111 128 MN.

Let me know what else I can tell you.

What about trying to something in DOS trying to repair the boot record or trying to repair windows. Ops, can't repair because of no CD-ROM or floppy.

Here we go loopdy.........</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are normal messages and are not indicative of a problem. Trying to repair the boot record or Windows will not fix a hardware problem. What kind of computer is it (name brand or custom?) Is the floppy drive light on all the time? When you try to use the floppy drive or CDROM drive in Windows, do you get an error message? If so, what is it? Verify that all BIOS settings are correct (if you're not sure, select "Load Defaults"). Verify that all drive cables (data and power) are connected correctly. Verify that the CDROM drive and any other IDE drives on the same IDE controller are jumpered correctly. Are the drives getting power? Does the BIOS detect the drives? Try different drive data cables. Try the drives in another computer. Try different drives in your computer. Troubleshooting is a process of elimination.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

What does hardware manager say about the drives?
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

First things first: Admit to yourself that the floppy is a waste of space, and chuck it out. I refuse to work on, install or specify floppies these days - the only thing I do is remove 'em and chuck 'em in the trash bin.

When building new PCs - the ONLY items I EVER have problems with is floppies - particularly old ones - many motherboards just refuse to recognise them.

You don't need a floppy for anything - so why bother with one? If you're absolutely desperate for one - you should be able to get a new one for $7 or so. BTW, new floppy drives are significantly faster than old ones.

As to the CD-ROM, it could be toast - best plan is to remove it from the box and install it in another box (just attach an IDE cable and a power cable, forget actually installing it) and see whether it works in that box. If it does, at least you know it works. If it doesn't - you're off to spend $25 on a ROM drive. Best bet is a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive so you aren't stuck with a useless single-purpose drive when you next upgrade. (Forget trying to play DVDs with your existing setup though - not enough CPU horsepower for it).

Remember, a single drive on an IDE cable should have the jumper on the back as "Master" and it should be on the end of tghe cable.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Not to nitpick, but the position of a device on the ribbon cable only matters if either its the only device on the cable or there are two and cable select mode is enabled. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter as they'll work fine either way.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Help Wolf

Enough of this BS, Lock this puppy

ubb/Forum8/HTML/006555.html
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

I reset defaults and got the Floppy to "read" but although it "found" the CD-ROM it couldn't read anything.

Now it's all moot point because the guy who was having the problem bought a new computer.

Although, I will be getting the old one to fiddle with. I try to repair and hand them off to a newbie or senior that only uses e-mail and writes a letter now and then.

Thanks for the posts