Prescott

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Akasha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Prescott

Post by Akasha »

I've heard that Prescott performs worse than a Northwood with the 512 kB L2 cache and the same clock frequency. Is this true?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yes.
DaveD
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DaveD »

The first P4's had the same problem when they first came out.
Wait for the later versions.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Soso -- check out Intel's New Weapon: Pentium 4 Prescott @ Tom's Hardware.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

this would be a perfect time for AMD to release higher-clocked chips, but no...
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

AMD plans to release a 2.6GHz by the end of this year and a 4.8GHz by the end of 2006.
True AMD fans know that GHz is not everything, AMD's biggest lead is their huge Cache 1 and onboard memory controller.
If you put these into the spin and look at performance, AMD will actually beat Intel at the end of 2004.
Athlon 64 4000 (Socket 939, 512KB Cache 2, 2.6GHz)
Athlon 64 FX-55 (Socket 939, 1MB Cache 2, 2.6GHz)
Since the only difference between the A64 4000 and the A64FX-55 is the Cache 2 doubles, then add 300 MHz Points - 4300MHz Performance Quality.
300 instead of 200 because the memory controller performs better in higher GHz envionments since if it would have a FSB, it would be the speed of the CPU itself.
But it doesn't have a FSB because the memory controller is on the CPU.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Totally forgetting that Intel will have prescott in the 5 GHz range if they decide AMD is a threat.

-Krom
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Nope. Prescott is a good chip. I just got a 2.8GHz to 3.2 with a plain old FSB crank. Core sits at 42.5C at idle, stock 1.525 vCore. Managed to get it to 3.5GHz with a 5:4 RAM ratio - but the best performance is always with a synchronous FSB.

Thing runs like a champ. Remember, Prescott isn't pushed as a super ANYTHING. It's around the SAME performance as a Northwood P4 until you get into the apps which like cache - then the Prescott kicks Northwood rump.

However, I'd say that it's pointless to upgrade to one, given the very short lifetime of Prescott on the Socket 478 platform. Building a new system though - **** yeah - why not? Here in NZ they are $9 (wholesale) more than a Northwood.

I'd hazard a guess that once the new socket is unleashed, and Prescott hits 4+ GHz, it'll be leaving Northwood in the dust, clock-4-clock, just like Northwood did to poor Williamette.

If you do a lot of encoding, and Photochopping, then Prescott is a no-brainer.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Just make sure you have an LN2 cooling setup for the CPU and it's mosfets.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles952/
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Aggressor Prime:
<b> AMD plans to release a 2.6GHz by the end of this year and a 4.8GHz by the end of 2006.
True AMD fans know that GHz is not everything, AMD's biggest lead is their huge Cache 1 and onboard memory controller.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that really doesn't help AMD much, "True AMD fans" don't buy enough.

There is a difference between being a high-performance CPU at a low price, and a low-priced CPU.

Irregardless of many ISC AMD's CPU's can spit out, Intel has proven steadily they can easily put out a higher clocked CPU thats faster at the finish line.

AMD need to match Intel's clocks if they want to remain competitive.

Which is more impressive:

"This AMD chip runs at the same frequency as the Intel chip, but beats the pants off of it."

or

"This AMD chip performs as well as the Intel chip, but runs at a slower frequency."
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

/me seconds flip
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

Did you know the Prescotts run at 70C in a Water Cooling Environment and 26C in a Vapor Cooling Environment?
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

70C WTF?!?!?!? i cant even get my 3.06 that hot with crappy airflow
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I'm guessing AP is wrong since I can just tell and Mobius already posted his Prescott temps (with air cooling even I'm assuming?).
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Considering that AP is our resident mindless AMD fanboy, I doubt hes right. Especially since he didnt quote his source.

Prescotts do put out a lot of heat, but not nearly enough to make a water cooler run that hot. If it was a very poorly-designed unit, maybe. Your basic Koolance unit wouldnt have any issues with it.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

70 Watts i'd belive.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

More like 103.

"...the TDP (thermal design power) reached a new record: It is 103 Watts for the 3.4E and 3.2E GHz versions."

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040 ... tt-02.html
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Nah. I don't believe 100 watts for the 2.8 core. Sorry. The temps just aren't THAT high on it. Maybe I lucked out and got a "good" one? Who knows? [H] just dig a big OC test on a Prescott 2.8 - so go see what they say about it. They were surprised and impressed - but yeah - they DID melt some plastic standoffs they used! Image
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

AMD cpus do alot more work per clock than Intel thats y u could see a 1.4ghz AMD eat a 2ghz Intel up alive, and AMD can OC alot better hell ask krom Image what are u getting 2.4ghz out of a 1.468 was it?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Warlock:
AMD cpus do alot more work per clock than Intel thats y u could see a 1.4ghz AMD eat a 2ghz Intel up alive, and AMD can OC alot better hell ask krom Image what are u getting 2.4ghz out of a 1.468 was it?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He got it up to 2.6 IIRC....

AP: How bout a source to go along with your usual bull****?
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by MD-2389:
AP: How bout a source to go along with your usual bull****?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

for once its not me feeding BS Like that Image Image