I got my first kill 2day!

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I got my first kill 2day!

Post by max kragen »

Well,thanks to certain members of this community,starting today I am officially a D3'er! You guys and gals that selflessly helped me know who you are and I would just like to offer up my most heartfelt "thanks"! And for all the others that could'nt help but still tried, "kudos" 2 you as well! I look forward to the day when the tutelage that I am recieving reaps its rewards in the form of me blowin' some of ya' to peices! Man, this has got to be one of the greatest games ever made! See ya'll in the tunnels!(OMG, did i just say "ya'll")lol
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

congrats! i remeber my first kill... well... sorta. i dind't know i got the kill till someone said hey shadow! ( about a half hour later) you have 8 points!

well max, i look forward to killing... i mean seeing you in the "mines"... dunt exactly see any bulldosers or anything. check out pd forums 2.... not 2 many people but all super friendly... anyways check out pds levels. cool new search system.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Congrats max! I still remember my first kill. It was bizarre...

I was flying phoenix in an outside arena, and I had a perfect line of sight on an enemy pyro... I sighted, sighted, sighted, and cut loose--with a napalm rocket. Nothing else, I hit the wrong button. At any rate, that napalm rocket streaked along, slammed into the guy, and sent him burning back into the tunnels, where he died from napalm overdose.

Ahhh... those were the days. :) If you want help, target practice, or training, feel free to contact me! I love helping newbies. :D
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I didnt think my first one was notible, forgot it a long time ago, may you also have my fortune to forget the first one somewhere along the way into the next 140,000. ;)
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

gg tonight max

;)
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

...well after last nites lil' excursion I have come to the realization that I need a stick. You guys whupped me good lol! I think @ one point I had been killed 30 times in a row!(I've never had so much fun dying in a game tho'!)
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i reccomend getting a 3dpro if you can find one. mmm mmmm good. ;)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

If not, you can probably find a Saitek Cyborg Evo at any local computer store. I still like my 3DPro the best, but since my new compy doesn't have a gameport, the Evo is the next best thing. Great button placement, a good feel, and lots of adjustability. Plus, it gets noticed very easily by floor-mates: "WTF is that!!!" :P
iten
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by iten »

max, I'm also new to this game, about a week or so now, and I just got a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro. It works fine for me, but not in Linux. :cry:

Welcome to the community.

BTW, does anyone know why I suck SO much after just a couple days of not playing (I was sick)?

Maybe it's cause I was playing Stadium against roswellrevenge (who sounds pretty good).'

EDIT: Oh yeah, my first kill? That would probably be in Halcyon, I was firing blindly with the Fusion and managed to hit someone right in the face.
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Alt Control

Post by Mickey1 »

max, Mickey1 from the Fort of Wayne greets you to 6dof. I use a ms natural keyboard, mx500 Mouse and a hardware hacked Gravis gamepad pro. I press the shoulder buttons with my feet. Being able to just twitch to make an input is better than hunt and peck. a-left,s=reverse,d=forward,f=right,spacebar=turbo,alt=flare,left foot=up down, right foot=roll-right left,mouse to aim and shoot.

easy to make foot buttons:
http://www.locl.net/homes/mickey1art/descent3.html
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

iten wrote:BTW, does anyone know why I suck SO much after just a couple days of not playing (I was sick)?
If you are new your muscle memory hasn't built up yet ;)
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

I use keyboard... im not the best but on a team game i can be a pretty important player... score bout 1/5 of the flags and get close to top with kills close to top with low deaths... except i always end up with like 20 scuicides :P played since d1 came out, and that was when i was like 5, and ive used the same kb config so mabye im just postin spam saying keyboards good :D
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

GG dude:)

-snoopdawg
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Alt Control

Post by max kragen »

Mickey1 wrote:max, Mickey1 from the Fort of Wayne greets you to 6dof. I use a ms natural keyboard, mx500 Mouse and a hardware hacked Gravis gamepad pro. I press the shoulder buttons with my feet. Being able to just twitch to make an input is better than hunt andpeck.a=left,s=reverse,d=forward,f=right,spacebar=turbo,alt=flare,left foot=up down, right foot=roll-right left,mouse to aim and shoot.
Well, Mickey I thank you for the welcome and info but I have limited resources(my comp is a Dell optiplex GX1 Pent. II w/300mghz proc. thats about a zillion years old)so it may be a while b4 I'm able to "finalize" my controls. Until then I'll just keep tryin w/this k/b mouse combo and pray for the best outcome :)
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

snoopy wrote:GG dude:)

-snoopdawg
Hah...sup snoop....gg 2 you 2 "dawg"!and thx for all the ingame help! you really explained alot to me that i didnt understand b4.
Tangaroa
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tangaroa »

Heh, I think I might have played against you today, I use the alias Tango.

Then my joystick broke. :(
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

Tangaroa wrote:Heh, I think I might have played against you today, I use the alias Tango.

Then my joystick broke. :(
yup, that was me...I remember during gameplay you talkin bout your problem but what sticks out in my mind is how you were fakin me out with your movement...turns out it was not intended.Thats funny cause I was thinkin, "This guys good with the ol' switchback move" (lol) gg tho'!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Hmm. First kills... interesting topic.

I don't remember my first kill in D3, but I'm pretty sure it was in the first demo, and in Polaris.

I don't remember my first kill in D2 either, but it was probably in Minerva when I was getting absolutely trashed. Unless (perhaps) I got an accidental kill in a co-op game of D2 level 4 - which I seem to recall was the first game I played online, back on about the first couple of days of September 1997...

Obviously, having played D2 for more than a year before the D3 demo came out (it's very weird, because I swear it seemed longer than that), the first kill in D3 wasn't a big deal then - I'd had about 4000 in D2 by that stage.

It is kind of funny, when you start playing a game such as Descent. Even if you've had practice in single player before, that doesn't come close to preparing you for what multiplayer is like. When you start going head to head, you get absolutely smashed for the first few weeks... then you eventually figure out some tricks that work against people of a similar skill and start to get reasonably effective with them. Your skills gradually improve, and you can hold up against somewhat tougher opponents, then perhaps you find some fighting techniques that serve you quite well in most situations and perhaps start to push your efficiency past 50%...

At least that's how it worked for me. I went on to become reasonably adept at FFA brawls in D2, sometimes pushing a 60% efficiency... then once I reached Vice-Admiral I found the 1 on 1 scene... believe you me, that's a whole different ballgame. You can look pretty decent in an FFA, but still be sadly lacking in a duel. Once you are able to defeat most of your opponents there, well, you're probably fairly well known already. :) That's where the Descent 'gods' often come from...

Okay, enough of the personal bio stuff... congratulations on achieving those kills, and may they be followed by many more. :) It often takes months to just get reasonably decent at a game, and years to become one of the pros - but you do get there.
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

Top Gun wrote:If not, you can probably find a Saitek Cyborg Evo at any local computer store...but since my new compy doesn't have a gameport, the Evo is the next best thing. Great button placement, a good feel, and lots of adjustability...
So what kind of connection does the Evo have?
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

max kragen wrote:
Top Gun wrote:If not, you can probably find a Saitek Cyborg Evo at any local computer store...but since my new compy doesn't have a gameport, the Evo is the next best thing. Great button placement, a good feel, and lots of adjustability...
So what kind of connection does the Evo have?
I'm pretty sure they're all usb.

Welcome Max, it's great to see new people :D

I think my first kill was in Half-pipe and it was most likely because someone got to close to my ship when it exploded :wink:
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Gravis gamepad pro $10.00 at Best Buy

Post by Mickey1 »

Max the controller I made cost me less than $20.00. This controller was made in 1998 and still works!
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LEON »

My first kill was in Parkhaus. But i guess it doesn't count, cuz he whent afk or somthing in the middle of the fight. Not a clean kill. My "next"/"first" (clean)kill i don't remember.

Congrats on your first kill and welcome to D3 :)

BTW, i fly with team NuB.

Leon
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

LEON wrote:BTW, i fly with team NuB
I would reccomend joining them- they'll give yah alot of pointers that will help yah get the hang of it quicker.
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

Geez guys...talk about makin' someone feel welcome! You all are great!(BTW, Mickey1, I'd be really interested in knowin' what your controller looks like).
Tangaroa
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tangaroa »

Dont remember my first kill, It may have been in my first or second game.

Unless the movement was rolling, then it probably was half intentional.

The rolling however, was very irritating, think ive come up with a solution that will do for the meantime though.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Welcome, max kragen!

My first game was my first kill. It was in The Core, against Lord Oberon--1-40. :)
iten
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by iten »

I second joining NuB. They've really helped me so far.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

kurupt wrote:gg tonight max

;)
Sigh, there goes K hunting noobs again :D

Good thing stats aren't working any more. :o
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

wow, whats your wierd fetish with me and stats?
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

Iceman wrote:
kurupt wrote:gg tonight max/quote]
Sigh, there goes K hunting noobs again :D Good thing stats aren't working any more. :o
LOL Iceman...I know you were prolly just givin' him sh*t but just for the record...kurupt is a pretty fair player in my eyes..I recall that night he was givin' me more than a fair chance along with some good tips.
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Click link

Post by Mickey1 »

max, I had the link in my first post but here it is again. All I did was short the shoulder buttons with a push and hold button switch. You do need to solder the connections. The frame is just a plywood setup so I can rock the pedal. That is why left is up or down and right is roll left or right; can't push both buttons on the same pedal at the same time. Very easy to make. Finding the buttons will be the hardest part.I got mine at a small surplus shop for a dollar each.

http://www.locl.net/homes/mickey1art/descent3.html
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

All my kills have been from shooting at two actually GOOD pilots in a dogfight from afar and hoping I steal one of their kills.... :wink:
yea I've only gotten about 5....
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

Ye Who can recall their first kill, is just getting addicted to Descent 3 full time, or is hooked for life ! !...

I relive my most profound MD moments in CTF Polaris when meditating on the thread's question...

But then !... I seem to get flashbacks to the opposite !.. My Most Memorable Exploding Moments .. ! Like last night Max ! You SkyBoat Whoard Noobie ! eat those green orbs FAst !
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I don't remember my first kill. =/

I remember the first time I played the d3 demo was on a 233mhz pentium mmx with an s3-virge video card that didn't do transparency. It was in The Core and I was using the name Wombat. Laser bolts looked like beach balls because the auras around them were opaque. I don't remember if I got a kill.

The first time I played d3 full was in Infernal Bolt (Internal Bolt according to HEAT ;) ), and I remember a bunch of people saying I had a speed hack because I was the only one in a Phoenix and they had never seen one before. I definitely got a kill there. Then the next day I had to go to Costa Rica for 2 weeks...

This doesn't count all the kills I got in d1 and d2.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

my first kill was in my Team [NuB] checkout flight, which was, incidentally, my first online game.