paintball equipment

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

paintball equipment

Post by kurupt »

me and a few buddies are picking this up as a new hobby. i've played before so i already know i love it, but we used crappy wal mart guns and whatnot back then, and we played in the woods. we're gonna start palying indoors and in leagues - do any of you guys who play know of some decent equipment for me and my buddies to pick up? i'm not sure what brands are good, what types of things are worth the extra money and what aren't, whats a good accessory to buy that actually makes the game more enjoyable and isnt just a cool looking gizmo, etc.

anyone got any advice on what to buy?
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

How much money you willing to spend?

Right now the hot gat is the new 05 Angel Speed ($995)

Check this movie out: http://www.bjelectric.com/images/speedtest.wmv

A loader (to quickly feed the balls to that monster) is gonna cost ya ~$125, a descent air system will be another $150-$200. A good barrel kit will be another $150-$200 (A must, most stock barrels suk)

Then you gotta get a pack and pods (figure ~$50), pants ($50-$100), mask ($60+), jersey ($40+), etc. etc. etc. (gloves, shoes, padding)

Then when you get to the field you gotta buy paint. A case (2000 rounds) of paint is $50-$80 plus air fills are usually a buck/1000PSI (tank usualy hold 4500PSI)

It's an expensive hobby. Lemme know if you need somemore info!
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

Here's a few pix of me and my daughter at a tourney we played at a couple months ago.

I'm shooting an 04 Angel Fly with an Empire ReLoaderB loader, a Powerlyte Scepter barrel kit and a Nitro Duck Xtreme adjustable air system. "Chica" is shooting the 03 Angel Speed with a ReLoaderB, an Empire Barrel kit and an Air America adjustable air system. There's ~$3000 worth of stuff there!
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

would going that route be better than building my own gun? i've heard that its common to do that. a grand is a bit pricey for me right now, but may be something i'd get later on down the road. for now i'm lookin to spend a few hundred bucks.
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

I've been saving up for a $500 all metal MP5 airsoft gun for a while. But I keep buying games so it's taking a long time :P
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

Ballsy to post pictures of your daughter, even in taliban-approved attire :p

I really like paintball, but I can't afford it :( however, I would chime in with a bit of sensible advice. Don't go stir crazy with the gun. If you can't reliably hit a moving target the size of an apple, a more expenisve barrel is not going to change that, and breaks count whatever you shot it with.

If you are very accurate under stress in "real" situations (ie not target shooting, game shooting) then yes, the fancy gear will make a difference, but generally speaking you being new means you don't shoot bullseyes from the hip. In my experience, the quality of the ammo makes as much difference, and that's raelly not something you control unless you always go to the same club. You buy their paint.
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

Very true. I'm doing some research to pick out a few good guns to start with.

Spyders/Pirahnas have always been a favorite, as far as starter guns go. The problem with them is that they break-down and require frequent maintenence after a few thousand shots.

I'll post more tonite, as I'm at werk now and we're having some networking issues that are demanding my attention...
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i'm leaning towards a tippmann 98 with a flatline barrel to start with. its in my price range and ive heard its good for newbies like me. any comments on that gun? anything better thats in the same range?
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

My friend says not to go with a Tippmann. He says go with a Spyder, they're cheaper and easier to maintain. I can't back that up with anything personally, although he's done some work with paintball guns.
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

The Tippman 98 Custom is an excellent choice, if for nothing else than the fact that they never break! Plus you can customize the heck outta them!

Forget about the flatline barrel though, it's a gimmick that only works under a very limited set of circumstances, ie. long distance with nothing in the way. Even if it makes it to the 'target', the ball is moving so slow that at the point of impact it probably won't break. (known as a 'bounce', in paintball lingo)

And like I said earlier, the Spyder/Pirahna family of sear-trippers are probably the most popular of starter guns. But when they start to break down, it's a never ending battle to keep up with the constant maintenence.

I should know, my first gun was a Pirahna EXT. It worked fime for about 3 weeks then it started chopping balls and double firing (which then chopped even *more* balls!) It took $45 in parts and few hours of work to get it running right again.

If you can spring for a few hundred more (~$500), The Indian Creek BKO has been a pretty good first-time 'electro' marker (gun) for a lot of people.
Nirvana
DBB Harasser
DBB Harasser

Post by Nirvana »

There's the gun I own...
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i can almost read what that says on the gun... hehe
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

dang... thats some friggin rapid shooting. ive never played paintball, but i want to soooooo bad... its the place i live :(
Nirvana
DBB Harasser
DBB Harasser

Post by Nirvana »

kurupt wrote:i can almost read what that says on the gun... hehe
It's actually a very customized tippmann... they call it the "messiah"
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

I suppose they won't let us shoot these things at those pesky rabbits in our backyard... :P
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

If your gonna go with Tippman I'd go with the A5 with the flatline barrel, I've seen them go for around $250-$300 with the response trigger.

I had a spider electra for a while, all and all it was a pretty good gun but Sarge is right they do require work after a while.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Here's a quality rig for a bit under 3g's. The only complaints I've heard is that they're louder than most other paintball guns and they only shoot red paintballs.
If you want to win tourny's you gotta go with the best. I promise, you'll be the last man standing.

http://conspiracyx0.tripod.com/weapons3/R700.htm

Buy some real firearms, you wieners. :)
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

heh, I'm not playing paintball with you :P
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

Flatline barrels are teh suk, don't do it.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Cool pics Sarge. You must have to take a real gun to keep the paint ball boys away from that cute daughter of yours! I can't believe it. It seems like yesterday when she was what 10 and playing D3! I remember playing her in that movie theater mod of Dwnunder's.

Margo
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

Sarge wrote:Flatline barrels are teh suk, don't do it.
Care to elaborate why? I've never used one but heard they give you added distance over stock.
If your gonna be playing speedball etc. personnally I wouldn't get a tippman period.
Tippman is a good reliable gun for woodland/scenerio play.
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

Hey Marge! How ya doin!

And about the flatlines...
Forget about the flatline barrel though, it's a gimmick that only works under a very limited set of circumstances, ie. long distance with nothing in the way. Even if it makes it to the 'target', the ball is moving so slow that at the point of impact it probably won't break. (known as a 'bounce', in paintball lingo)
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

Hey if anybody lives in or near San Diego, the Commanders Cup paintball tourney is this weekend at Qualcomm Stadium.

WDP is there showing off their newest Angel, the G7. I guess it's a prototype that to be out in Jan or Feb.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Doing Good! Wasn't your dad a marksman of some sort in the service? Is that where you and Cat come by the sharpshooter genes?
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

Lol yea, he was a Marksman with the submachine gun.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Well ok. At least I had the gun part right... :)