3d Character : Beast Warrior

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Hurry up and finish your stuff so that people will come in here and read my work :)
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Darkside;

I'll do my best man :)

roid;

hm...How about you eat a bag of hell!!!!

Sergeant Thorne;

Thanks!

Duper;

I'd like to see it... Can you get that for me?

Robo;

interesting... I might look into that.

Beo;

Rooooofffllleessss

For now, I started the rig and facial morphers... But man there is so much work to do! (ugh) So far the sword arm is rigged, or at least sort of rigged...

I just realized I have the sword rotated the wrong way in his hand as I am posting this. I'll correct it tomorrow. Also his gums and tongue only have base colors on them I will texture them shortly.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

DT, how much you charge per hour? I'd love for you to make me a animated icon for teh DBB but in a medival time period.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Hi Merlin,

I no longer do freelance artwork. Sorry - I'm just too short on time right now to take on any outside projects.

Btw everyone I had a job interview at a very large, popular game company a couple days ago. Not sure how things will pan out but I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

More shots of the rig later
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Good luck on the job. I didn't think you did freelance but hey I wasn't expecting it anyways.

Any chance you telling us which company?
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

This is still really beta but I'm plugging away at it! I know there are many things to fix

As for the company, I suppose it doesn't make a difference either way... Electronic Arts.

More soon!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Good luck with EA dude. Would be wicked to know someone in the gaming industry.

Just point them to this thread and they should have no reason NOT to hire you.

I visit www.renderosity.com daily and your work is by far the best I've seen.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

EA? oh nice.. I'm in the same neck of the woods. maybe we should grab lunch or somethin.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

holey *uck balls 0_0
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Let me start by apologizing for the size of some of these images.

The rig is complete! It's far from perfect but I think I can get what I need out of it.

Merlin;

They've seen this model in moving video and were very impressed! Too bad I couldn't pose it in time for the interview :(

Ferno;

Not sure what you mean, EA is stationed all over the world if I were to work there, I'd work at there Tiburon division here in Orlando.

Warlock;

Hehe!
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

ah ok... I figured since you said EA, you meant the one in Vancouver B.C..
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I'm working on the hair now. Most of the day was spent with Shag Hair without much to show for it. So at the end of a long disappointing day I decided to try something else.

Robo, your suggestion of using the scatter tool to simulate hair is showing a lot of promise. It definitely has the potential to look good, the question is whether I can get the whole thing rendering with the amount of poly's it adds.

In the test I ran (on one section of fur) each hair was 7 polygons with the section totaling about 9k. The render was promising, as was the result for the amount of time I put in.

Problem is, even at 9k a section I'm looking at somewhere in the range of 150 to 200k just for hair if I do both legs in entirety. This character is currently 300k so that's adding a lot.

If it really does end up looking good but won't render as a whole... It might be time for me to finally break down and start looking into composite rendering. Maybe then I can figure out a way to get the animations I need....

But that's all beside the point. I'd like to thank you for your suggestion! If this works out I owe you one.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Here's the fur, it all renders.... Not that great but I think it should be enough for what I need. In moving video it looks pretty good with motion blur. For my final still I create I will probably touch it all up with photoshop.

Don't pay attention to all the little things clipping, its just an issue with the rig that will have to be compensated for in all my final renders.

Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Wow, a suggestion of mine actually worked.

Make sure you tell it not to display the actual number of iterations though, thats bad news :)
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Not rendering it with meshsmooth anyway, that would send the poly count through the roof. But yeah, I have to have meshsmooth off in viewport + mesh select on everything to even rotate around this guy. And its slow.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

I can see why :shock:
very well done, I don't need to do a full-on review, the pics do it for me
Badboy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Badboy »

:D Once again I must pass out and die :lol:

/me is wishing I could do 3d work like that
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Thanks guys. Heres a quick composite test. Nothing fancy. Hopefully he'll be better integrated in the real thing

The background is 2 layers, the ruins/terrain and then the animated sky behind it.

I think I'm going to start animating by wednesday... He's got a little beard now too and I just have to tweak a couple textures then I'm setting the posed animation to render. Should be doing that tomorrow.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Really nice work once again. I wouldn't imagine EA games not hireing you after they see this.

If I had the tools and the time right now I would love to do something up to this scale. Hopefully one day. I could actually model it but the problem would be with hair and rendering the actual model.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Hey guys I heard back from EA

phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=50689#50689

I'd like to keep this thread on-topic about this project, so any comments regarding EA can be posted there. Thanks!
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

There must be a pool of Talent that we all get a bit of when we're born... and you got a whole heap from those of us who didn't get any! 8) :lol:

Just saw this thread (don't often check the Gallery), and I'm with Merlin: jaw's fallen off, rolled off somewhere, I hope I can find it. :lol:

Looking at some of the base weapon models, they look like studio shots of very high-quality plastic models (in other words, extremely detailed, and extremely realistic). If some of us had about 1% of that talent, we'd be satisfied. Glad to see you've been working on this and will be able to do it for a living!

Keep up the awesome work, and watch the drool puddles. We can't help it. :lol:
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Thanks Pleb! This however, is where it starts to get ugly. :lol:

Here is my first preview of the animation :

link removed, new version below

It's encoded in DivX 5.2 to keep the filesize down to something reasonable. This clip is one meg.

Animation is not my strong point (at all) so please feel free to rip this as much as you want. Just be specific as to what I need to focus on & improve to make this decent! I'm not aiming for the most amazing animation in the world, just something that doesn't look stupid.

Thanks again, input is needed more than ever at this stage!
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Good work D!
Maybe the swing could be a bit more swift at the end of your animation. Seems like the character is cutting butter with no particular rush ;)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

is he just making a posturing gesture ... ie roaring.. or is he swinging in attack? If the latter, he's swinging with the flat of the axe along the path.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Yeah man I need to fix that... Damn this is tough hehe :)

Someone passed along a site to me with some really helpful information on animating and I'm going through the steps now. I think my next attempt will be better (or so I hope)
*JBOMB*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *JBOMB* »

it doesnt surprise me that you were picked up by EA..
Your stuff is imaginative and executed on a pro level. Congrats to you on that and the beast is super wicked DT..

I have a feeling the only thing holding you back right now is your own computer..

i hope in madden 2k7 all the players have horns and swords ;)
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Hey everyone here is an update, let me know if you think this looks better. I reworked a lot of it and added camera shakes too.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/jeremyg/hidden/minanim2.avi
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Awesome! way WAY better!

just a couple quick thoughts. You might to bring the tip of the axe back in toward his head and roll the blade around as it decends .. which I think it does, but it goes out of view.

Also, keep the eye-line pointed focused in the same area throught the swings; like he is looking at his target which is to his low right.

Great job! Keep it up! 8)
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

whow man! R-E-S-P-E-C-T and congrats!
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Darktalyn1 wrote:Hey everyone here is an update, let me know if you think this looks better. I reworked a lot of it and added camera shakes too.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/jeremyg/hidden/minanim2.avi
Maybe I'm missing a codec or something, but when I play that AVI it's just black.

Weird.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

^^ The same...
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Get the current version of Divx. what.. 5.03 or something?
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

What's up guys you're going to need the latest DivX to watch the vid (like Duper said)

I'm making slow but steady progress on this guy but school has started and I have 4 tough classes so I'm not working on this as much as I'd like anymore. Plus my girlfriend is back in town so I tend to get... distracted on my free time :)

I'll see if I can get something posted up tonight. It's actually much farther along than what I have shown so far.

One of the big issues I'm having right now is that I downloaded a nice collection of sound files that I want to edit together to create the audio clip for this animation, but Premiere isn't reading them. They play fine on my machine but when I import I get nothing.

Does anyone have a program for converting mp3's or wma's to wav files? I think if I convert them to wav it might work... If no one has something I'll have to hunt for a program myself.... Nothing is ever easy, it seems :/
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Musicmatch has an mp3/wav converter... and you can convert it back if you like, to any quality.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Thanks Robo tomorrow I'm going to try to tackle the sound issue, see if I can't start getting this whole thing wrapped up.

Here's some stills from the video as it stands right now.

There's some problems with the render so I'm going to have to render it again tomorrow but I'm pretty happy with how its going overall. Let me know what you think.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

hey guys i uploaded a pretty low quality divx of the animation, let me know what you think. im planning to make any changes then re-render + add sound. You'll need divx5.2

http://plaza.ufl.edu/jeremyg/hidden/minanimtest.avi

So, now is the time for any final crits and comments! Thanks
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

Wow you never fail to impress me. :shock:
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Very "Edgy"! It looks great.

you realize that there is no way you can post crap any more. ;)
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Amazing ;)