Weight loss trick. 100% success.

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Weight loss trick. 100% success.

Post by flip »

I think the the term 'evolution' is too loosely defined these days. If it means an organisms ability to adapt to it's surroundings by subtle changes that affect it's survivability, there is a case for that. If on the other hand you mean a complete change of structure that effectively changes from one species to another, you have your work cut out for you. It's like Spidey just said, the term evolution is so loosely thrown around now, that it is even used as an explanation of how ALL organisms store energy. I think for the sake of honesty, everything should be tested under the law of physics first and then when reliable evidence is collected, it should be weighed against the theory of evolution. I would bet that a great deal of evolutionary theory would not stand up to the Laws of Physics.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Hehe. Your dads/scientists should keep their science locked up instead of in their dresser drawer. Next thing you know someone who didn't know the science was loaded is playing with it and pointing it in an unsafe direction and somebody gets hurt.

You gonna bust a fact in my ass you need to quit holding it gangsta style and line up the sights. :mrgreen:
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

My god, I can't believe what I'm reading. I'm... speechless.

I'm actually going to delete the link to this board now. I can't get past the irony of this much ignorance and anti-science on forum dedicated to a science-fiction game. Maybe science-fiction is to blame and it makes people think all science is fiction and they can't tell actual science from fantasy? I don't know.

:? See you later, randomly.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:Evolution also gave you a big brain, to help you with such problems.

Example:

A few years back (actually quite a few) it was learned that the signals to stop eating that the gut sends to the brain, is not based on how much you eat, but how long you have been eating.

Think that big brain of yours can figure out a way to use that info to help control weight?
That's the problem Spidey. We know that we are eating way more calories than we can burn, but our brains and the corresponding stop eating signal is set up for foods that don't have a lot of carbohydrates or sugars, but instead contain a lot of bulk and lower nutrition. Now we have junk that is loaded with fats, sugars and carbs, packed into small, easy to eat portions AND it's so tasty, our stop eating sensor is being overridden by the pleasure we're getting just from eating. Man-made foods are just as addicting as any drug to our brains and I surmise that was intended from the start by food manufacturers. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

vision wrote:My god, I can't believe what I'm reading. I'm... speechless.

I'm actually going to delete the link to this board now. I can't get past the irony of this much ignorance and anti-science on forum dedicated to a science-fiction game. Maybe science-fiction is to blame and it makes people think all science is fiction and they can't tell actual science from fantasy? I don't know.

:? See you later, randomly.
I really would love to put my finger on when this place transformed into Rednecktopia.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

When the rednecks started offering more than quips and one-liners?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Top Gun wrote:I really would love to put my finger on when this place transformed into Rednecktopia.
“If you can't answer a man's arguments, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.”

Elbert Hubbard
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Ahahaha. Ahah. Hah.

no but seriously man we have multiple people in here essentially saying straight-up, "Okay, that's what science has figured out, but I don't like it, so imma go stick my fingers in my ears and go LALALA I'M NOT LISTENING." There's no debating with that attitude...all I can really do on my part is chuckle at the redneck sentiments, throw up my hands, and walk away. It's the same exact attitude that produced this marvelous piece of stupidity in Kentucky.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Top Gun wrote:I really would love to put my finger on when this place transformed into Rednecktopia.
I can.

it happened at about the same time as most of the oldskool players left. one by one, they slowly drifted away. they come back occasionally but it never lasts.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

tunnelcat wrote:
Spidey wrote:Evolution also gave you a big brain, to help you with such problems.

Example:

A few years back (actually quite a few) it was learned that the signals to stop eating that the gut sends to the brain, is not based on how much you eat, but how long you have been eating.

Think that big brain of yours can figure out a way to use that info to help control weight?
That's the problem Spidey. We know that we are eating way more calories than we can burn, but our brains and the corresponding stop eating signal is set up for foods that don't have a lot of carbohydrates or sugars, but instead contain a lot of bulk and lower nutrition. Now we have junk that is loaded with fats, sugars and carbs, packed into small, easy to eat portions AND it's so tasty, our stop eating sensor is being overridden by the pleasure we're getting just from eating. Man-made foods are just as addicting as any drug to our brains and I surmise that was intended from the start by food manufacturers. :P
That’s a valid point, but you are still in control of what you eat.

And don’t expect any sympathy from me, my Type2 means I can’t even eat donuts.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

urgh. damnit Vision i had come back here after years coz i'd heard there was some new ppl breaking up the circle-jerk.
flip wrote:I think the the term 'evolution' is too loosely defined these days. If it means an organisms ability to adapt to it's surroundings by subtle changes that affect it's survivability, there is a case for that. If on the other hand you mean a complete change of structure that effectively changes from one species to another, you have your work cut out for you. It's like Spidey just said, the term evolution is so loosely thrown around now, that it is even used as an explanation of how ALL organisms store energy. I think for the sake of honesty, everything should be tested under the law of physics first and then when reliable evidence is collected, it should be weighed against the theory of evolution. I would bet that a great deal of evolutionary theory would not stand up to the Laws of Physics.
no-one has explained evolution to you before?
i thought i at least had, in the past, not sure though, do you remember me doing that?

Your explanation of it is wrong. Not sure i'm really in a mood anymore to bother putting it right, what's the point in trying. Waste of my ★■◆●ing time just as always.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

How can my definition be wrong when I'm leading my statements with the word "IF"? It's a either or statement with actually 2 different definitions depending on the readers viewpoint, not mine. :roll:
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

here's some videos about speciation to start you off:
[youtube]R_RXX7pntr8[/youtube] [youtube]7w57_P9DZJ4[/youtube]

i recommend the entire educational series
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... ature=plcp
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Lol, this is exactly my point illustrated. Roid here wants to tell me what he has been told. I already know all that. My arguments are based on the contentions that arose while studying the material. I call it "asking the right questions" ;)

EDIT: In fact I think this was touched on in another thread, but a scientific theory cannot be proven true, it can only be proven wrong. Which is the logical and honest sequence to seek the truth. You have an idea you think could be true but there is no way to know for sure. The most honest approach is to then try to disprove it. If you cannot, it will stand.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

flip wrote:Lol, this is exactly my point illustrated. Roid here wants to tell me what he has been told. I already know all that. My arguments are based on the contentions that arose while studying the material. I call it "asking the right questions" ;)

EDIT: In fact I think this was touched on in another thread, but a scientific theory cannot be proven true, it can only be proven wrong. Which is the logical and honest sequence to seek the truth. You have an idea you think could be true but there is no way to know for sure. The most honest approach is to then try to disprove it. If you cannot, it will stand.
i'm telling you that in your "studying the material" you must have misread something, because what you understand as the theory of evolution is not actually the theory of evolution. What you are doing is describing some theory that doesn't exist, and then showing how it's wrong. Of course it's wrong.
In this situation what would normally happen is you would cite your sources so we can actually see where the miscommunication happened that lead to your absorbing an incorrect characterisation of the theory of evolution. If you can't cite such sources, i suggest you entertain the idea that you have over the years accidentally misread or skipped over a lot of stuff in your studies over the years.
But TBH the most likely explanation is that your "studies" are just in incorrect reading material - material which relies on it's readers' unwillingness to fact-check. Coz i recognise your points, they're pretty standard creationist points, same points in most creationist books.

Those videos explain speciation, if i'm not mistaken they refute your points.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

"Most scientists agree that a comet or asteroid put a dramatic exclamation point at the end of the Ctretaceous period. It is also widely acknowledged that continents shifted, sea levels dropped and volcanoes erupted across earths surface"

I would argue that everyone of those things contributed together to kill off the dinosaurs. Seems in a very short time, the whole structure and environment of the earth got re-ordered.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Roid, I'm only standing by the statements and assertions I have made myself. Those are the contradictions I've found to others conclusions. I'm not arguing the theory of evolution but I am arguing against general misconceptions. Nowhere am I hearing about things happening in very short orders of time.

EDIT: I think by this evening I'll draw up my own timeline with times and dates to see if I can illustrate my point.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

oh ok.
As you draw up your timeline, remember that dinosaurs weren't entirely wiped out. (birds are modern dinosaurs)
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I will remember that because it is exactly what I have been saying ;)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:That’s a valid point, but you are still in control of what you eat.

And don’t expect any sympathy from me, my Type2 means I can’t even eat donuts.
Sorry you're having to deal with Type 2. Not being able to even eat one donut must be agony. Being pre-diabetic myself, I have to watch how much sugar and carbs I take in too, or my feet start hurting me big time. At least I can control it with diet ....... for the moment. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.