Interesting mouse

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Interesting mouse

Post by Grendel »

3D w/ 6DOF. Anyone here living in San Jose ? Would be interesting to see how well it works w/ D3 :)
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Yep. Nice to see this implemented. The issue will be how well they're made, and what components are used. A mouse like this needs to be of absolutely top quality.

Could a be a great boon for 3D designers.

I've always felt that the UI and input devices for computers have a long way to go yet.
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

The problem is that you need 3 fingers to control all 6 axes, so if you want to use the 2 buttons simultaneously (as required by Descent, for example) you'd have to use all 5 fingers of your hand which I imagine would feel quite awkward and would reuire quite a lot of practising.
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

That, and it uses buttons, not analog sticks.

It's a neat concept, but the usability and practicality of this particular device are very low.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

yeah, it's essentially taking the buttons and using them to control 6DOF movement. But hey - i was using those buttons for other things already! like many people i already use a 5 button mouse - all my fingers are already busy.

Better to use the arm/wrist instead for 6DOF mouse movement - just as we are currently using the arm/wrist for 2DOF mouse movement.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

a POV hat for the thumb would work better for most of the motions needed for 6DOF - forward and back, and up and down, use the tilt on the mouse for roll.