Black Friday is now even blacker.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Black Friday is now even blacker.

Post by CDN_Merlin »

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0811 ... mart_death

When will people just CALM THE **** DOWN!!!!
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

Soon as they get $50 off their wide-screen plasma, of course. :roll:
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Greedy stupid bastards.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Dakatsu wrote:Greedy stupid bastards.
Relax Dak, we're not talkin about the Banks here... that's another thread. ;)
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Heard about it this morning. How did I know it was the one at the Green Acres Mall? :( That Wal-Mart happens to sit in the poorest and most densely-populated part of Nassau County. Though as I've pointed out elsewhere, this is hardly a US-centric phenomenon; in 2005 five people were hospitalized at an opening-day IKEA stampede, and in 2004 three were killed in Saudi Arabia, also at an IKEA grand opening.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Duper wrote:
Dakatsu wrote:Greedy stupid bastards.
Relax Dak, we're not talkin about the Banks here... that's another thread. ;)
I called them greedy and stupid because they charge straight into there ignoring the pleas of the employees to stop because of the person who fell. It wasn't because they didn't notice, it was because they were so materialistic that saving a little bit of money is more important than the lives of other people. They just ran on in, ignoring the pleas of the workers, with only the excuse of "Ei've been weiting for houres".

Their rampage to get this stuff makes them greedy, their charge into the building ignoring the safety of others makes them stupid, and the combination of the former and latter make them bastards.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Well, Dakastu, if that's the case then all these people should be persecuted for their actions that led to the wrongful death of the employee.

I'm almost rolling my eyes on this one. I'd like to see the video to find out just how the employee got involved in this mess that led him to have a deadly heart attack.

When anyone is shopping on Black Friday, everyone should be prepared to expect a stampede or violent pushings and shovings. Don't expect everyone else to extend the same courtesy that you would extend to them. On really hot deals, see if they can be purchased on-line. It's even physically safer to go on-line and shop.
This also depends on how poor the area is, as DCrazy pointed out this was in one of the poorest and densely-populated areas. Desperate people will do whatever it takes to get what they're shopping for.

*Edit* I just read the opening the store part again. That's insane that the metal framework has been \"crumpled\" when the man (only one person was opening those doors?) was trying to open the door. Greedy savage shoppers indeed. I still want to see the video though, it's hard for me to believe how this happened.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Testiculese »

Kiran wrote:When anyone is shopping on Black Friday, everyone should be prepared to expect a stampede or violent pushings and shovings.
That is the most pathetic description of humans I've ever heard. It makes me really, really sad that that is an accurate statement.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

And we think the middle east is savage? We kill people for a f*cking sale?
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

Thousands of people died all over the world as we read and get upset about one death in Walmart. People are getting cut apart by machetes, yet we focus on what makes the news. The news always focuses on what's different or what will make people want to read. This article isn't real news.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

We know (or at least Iknow) people die daily around the world. What troubles me is that people die like this in a \"civilized\" country.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Kiran »

Testiculese wrote:
Kiran wrote:When anyone is shopping on Black Friday, everyone should be prepared to expect a stampede or violent pushings and shovings.
That is the most pathetic description of humans I've ever heard. It makes me really, really sad that that is an accurate statement.
It's not a description of our race. It's what people should be ready for. You cannot expect everyone to act so civilized on a Black Friday during this economic situation. There are some really bad, ignorant and desperate people out there, but that doesn't make up the majority of our people. Again, DCrazy stated this occurred in the more poorer and densely populated area. Situations like this are most likely to happen in those types of area. Now, possibility of the same behavior happening in a less poverty-strickened area isn't just as high, but could happen.
It is sad that this is what some or more people do. I have never witnessed anyone throwing punches over an item or even start a stampede into the store to grab good deals, but I cannot ignore the fact that it could happen to me too. I live in an area where a lot of people are moving in. I don't know where they came from, how they grew up, what their behaviors and attitude are like, and how movies/video games incluences their actions. Usually, all it takes is just one or two people to start something that will end with more people involved and someone getting hurt or killed. It kinda reminds me of the quote "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups".
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I should have said \"it is becoming an accurate statement\"
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Ahh... yah, I think I'd agree with you on that statment... funny how words tend to twist what we really mean to say. :P
shaktazuki
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by shaktazuki »

At least our pretty little war in the Middle East is finally bearing fruit, what with cheaper oil and all...

Sadly, this isn't off-topic.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

There were a lot of people where I went shopping at four in the morning but I didn't notice any of the Walmart mob mentality at the stores I shopped at. Although I did mostly clothes shopping, I did see a lot of people at KB Toys but they had security guards posted there.

OT.. I don't believe that the war is going well at all and I think the low oil prices are more the result of a global economic meltdown.

Bee
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

shaktazuki wrote:At least our pretty little war in the Middle East is finally bearing fruit, what with cheaper oil and all...
Don't expect oil prices to remain low; the status of the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan has little to do with the recent fall

http://i-r-squared.blogspot.com/2008/11 ... html#links

and

http://i-r-squared.blogspot.com/2007/05 ... ation.html
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

Kiran wrote:...It kinda reminds me of the quote "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups".
I have that T-shirt; it's drawn much praise from Six Flags ride operators!
shaktazuki
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by shaktazuki »

Oh, sorry - that wasn't my point.

People are ALWAYS killing people over stuff, be it oil, women, drugs, or hot Black Friday deals at Wally-World.

For my money, I expect to see oil hit record highs sooner or later, and stay up until WWIII, combined with worldwide hyper-inflation leading to systemic economic breakdown, followed by civil wars and invasions on an international scale.

So, why not frag another Thief-bot while the fraggin's good?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, I think there's a good chance oil is finally on the way out though.
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by TheCope »

Sedwick wrote:
Kiran wrote:...It kinda reminds me of the quote "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups".
I have that T-shirt; it's drawn much praise from Six Flags ride operators!
HAHAHAHAHA!
[12:54] <[RIP]Zaphod> but thx for TRYING to make a dilemma :-P
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

I've resolved to do my Black Friday shopping online... People nowadays. It really makes me wonder...