main.exe hates me!

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

crash_x
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

main.exe hates me!

Post by crash_x »

main.exe likes to fail any time i move in & out of windows (like to cal joy or alt-tab). most always have to use task man to close it. running D3 with all the patches. also have \"no cd\" & \"duel jewel\" patches. wondering if main.exe is jammed up, would like to know what to use to open main.exe to see what it says. Remember im lame, so please keep it simple, thanks, Crash_x out (and still stuck under rocks)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The most common cause of main.exe locking when you switch windows is a bad video driver. Make sure your video drivers are up to date. Otherwise, try using a different rendering device in the descent 3 launcher setup/video tab (OpenGL is the most reliable and error free these days but Direct3D might survive alt-tabs better).

Do note that in some operating systems and hardware configurations this problem can not be fixed and your only option is to not switch out of the game.
crash_x
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by crash_x »

thanks for helpin. checked drivers, there the freshest i can get. so tried open GL and D3 failed as soon as the graphics got a little busy. tried a couple of times, all same. have no glide choice, maybe cause this is integrated video. also this time i got a message from vista that my video card failed and was recovered. only happened in open GL. sounds like i need to buy a card and get off this integrated vid.
also info= Vista, intel 3.0, 1.5 GB ram, 256 integrated vid. how much problem is this?
thanks, crash_x
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah, integrated video chipsets are known to cause a lot of problems. You can fix it by getting a new video card for your system and disabling the integrated one. $120 these days can get you a 512 MB Geforce 9800 GT card that will not only make Descent 3 run much better, but will also make virtually any other game run perfectly. And for an added bonus a geforce 9 series card can also make Vista look much better.
crash_x
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by crash_x »

Well thats my luck jummping on me again, integrated vid that is. if i had $120 to spare for a card, i probably wouldnt have half the mess i have. lol.
card is in the future but for now i live with it or (dare to) the best i have is a old 128mb ATI AIW thats pci.
No hope.....but ive gotten use to it
Thanks, Crash_X (lookin for a rock to hide under)
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

60 bux will get you a 4650 which is pretty descent for the price.