(Solved by Warlock) brain trouble shooting

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

(Solved by Warlock) brain trouble shooting

Post by Octopus »

Why can't my brain just get stuff that's already in there? Why do I have so much trouble with names and numbers? I was reading about memory and all the tricks that help you utilize it better. Some say, memorize characters and numbers in a certain pattern or in groups. And being interested in the subject is a factor.
If I know (that) I know something, I shouldn't have to sit still for half a minute to retrieve it. My hands, for instance would be useless if they followed the same rules that memories did. What if I had to think for half a minute to move my hand in a direction, simply because I hadn't done that particular motion for some time.
My phone remembers numbers, names, and (now that we're in the future) photos. And its memory card is smaller than a penny (in mass).

So how do YOU push large amounts of data into your brain, and keep it there?

-My brother uses note cards. But note cards don't seem to work as well when I had about a thousand medicaid and medicare related terms to remember for work.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

Start
Run
Defrag Brain
Click ok
:P

I have the same issue to but the odd thing I remimber fine details like what some one had on 3 weeks ago and where the equipment is in r stores down to the finest detail. But names I'm sol
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

Warlock wrote:Start
Run
Defrag Brain
Click ok
:P
I wish!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

In Octopus's case, I think he needs a complete brain transplant.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

Krom wrote:In Octopus's case, I think he needs a complete brain transplant.
I agree. There isn't enough room in this regular sized skull for it. :lol:
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

To start off with, your brain won't work right if you're not keeping the rest of you healthy. Drink plenty of water, and eat plenty of fruits and veggies and enough meat/protein and grains. Get some exercise. Don't wear yourself out playing too many video games; remember your eyes are an extension of your brain, and stressing them compromises your ability to think.

Once you've figured that out, exercise your brain. If you specifically want to get faster at recalling facts, notecard/flashcard games are a good starting point. Write all your medicare/medicaid terms on notecards and write definitions on the back, and time yourself going through, say, 50 cards at a time. You don't have to instantly master it, just slowly improve.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

I think most brains in general memorize material in sequence.

If you've ever tried to memorize a song, or a speech, sometimes it's impossible to remember the whole thing without a few key words, maybe the first two words of a paragraph or something.

Anyways, for someone to recall something I visualize a chain of neurons firing off until it comes to a particular sequence of neurons. If it is thought about more often, I visualize a shorter, stronger route, meanwhile if you're just sitting there trying to remember something, certain neurons have to be reached first.

For example, if you're looking for your Descent game on your computer, first you have to open the C folder (or I do, at least), sift through all the random files until you come to the 'games' neuron, sift through all the files until you find 'Descent'

If you're looking for it through explorer, you cant just access the Descent folder until you've gone through a certain sequence of folders. Once you've played it enough, you can just click \"Run\" and then go to \"Descent\" as a shortcut. :p
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Octopus wrote:
Krom wrote:In Octopus's case, I think he needs a complete brain transplant.
I agree. There isn't enough room in this regular sized skull for it. :lol:
Go on a diet.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Lothar wrote:To start off with, your brain won't work right if you're not keeping the rest of you healthy. Drink plenty of water, and eat plenty of fruits and veggies and enough meat/protein and grains. Get some exercise. Don't wear yourself out playing too many video games; remember your eyes are an extension of your brain, and stressing them compromises your ability to think.

Once you've figured that out, exercise your brain. If you specifically want to get faster at recalling facts, notecard/flashcard games are a good starting point. Write all your medicare/medicaid terms on notecards and write definitions on the back, and time yourself going through, say, 50 cards at a time. You don't have to instantly master it, just slowly improve.
+ stay away from energy drinks. :P
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

TechPro wrote:Go on a diet.
HA!
d0ggY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by d0ggY »

Spaceboy wrote: if you're just sitting there trying to remember something, certain neurons have to be reached first.
This is actually 100% correct, according to current theory on memory. This is precisely why, when trying to recall something you meant to say a few moments ago, retracing your conversation or thought patterns often leads to the forgotten material. It is also why we often remember what we were doing at a time when we were listening to a particular song and then later we re-hear the same song - it will trigger that previous event.

Our brain works much like a city with the roadways being the network of neurons. If we want to reach a particular house (memory block), we have to travel a certain route to get their. There are often several ways to get to one location, but all of them require going through various streets until we proximate closer and closer to the destination.

Things like drugs, malnutrition, and diseases can be thought of as demolition crews which may destroy or block of both streets and buildings in your little city. Drugs are bad, kids. Drugs are bad. lol