55 year old actor marries 16 year old

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

55 year old actor marries 16 year old

Post by snoopy »

Link

Do you think it can possibly be genuine and last? I personally think there's something just wrong about it, regardless of the legalities. This is the question: what sort of pre-nup's were involved?
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re: 55 year old actor marries 16 year old

Post by CUDA »

isn't that statutory rape?
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I don't know California law.

In Pennsylvania you can marry at 18, or 16 with parental consent. I think the law would have provisions to allow you to consummate your marriage.

Here's one though: if it winds up being annulled, does it suddenly become statutory rape?

I just have a hard time believing that it's genuine love... I don't see how people at such different ages can connect. I'd say she's gold digging, and he just wanted to stay legal.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

I never knew any 16-year-old girls to fall in love with someone that old.
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

As long as they're both getting what they want, I don't see what the problem is. Look on the brightside--at least they didn't gay marry each other!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

It's definitely weird, at least by modern standards...but at the same time, when you look at the average marriage ages/age differences even a century ago, it's not all that strange in the historical sense. I sure as hell wouldn't let my daughter do it, though.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Yeah, if anything, the parental consent was the weirdest part. If she were just two years older, it'd be a lot different.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

CUDA wrote:isn't that statutory rape?
Not if they are legally married. Which apparently they are. Click.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

My question is, how long has he known her and was there any "consummating" going on prior to the marriage?
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Liberty, man.
Fear is the engine that destroys freedom.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Lucky Bastage... :twisted:
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

null0010 wrote:There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Liberty, man.
and would there be nothing wrong with this if she was 12 or 13? I mean Liberty and all
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Cradle-robbing pervert that only likes young fresh meat. Don't need that old sperm repository going around making babies either. :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

CUDA wrote:
and would there be nothing wrong with this if she was 12 or 13? I mean Liberty and all
Depends how rich he is.

But seriously, I would say yes, but not for any reason other than persons of that age typically do not have the required dendritic connections to fully grasp the weight of such a decision. Persons 16 and older typically do.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

null0010 wrote:
CUDA wrote:
Depends how rich he is.

But seriously, I would say yes, but not for any reason other than persons of that age typically do not have the required dendritic connections to fully grasp the weight of such a decision. Persons 16 and older typically do.
16 year old girls have absolutely no clue as to what they're getting into when they decide to marry an older man, let alone a younger one. It's all love and unicorns to them. They know nothing of the responsibilities of parenthood, if that happens. The brain's frontal lobes aren't fully developed until about 25, so emotions still rule, not smarts.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I think its very likely that there is something just wrong there, but then a lot of things in Hollywood are.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

tunnelcat wrote:16 year old girls have absolutely no clue as to what they're getting into when they decide to marry an older man, let alone a younger one. It's all love and unicorns to them. They know nothing of the responsibilities of parenthood, if that happens. The brain's frontal lobes aren't fully developed until about 25, so emotions still rule, not smarts.
THANK YOU TC. I agree 100% 16 year old's are clueless. and experience has shown me many people under 25 are the same.

― Theodore Roosevelt
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

She would have to be a VERY mature 16 year old before I would have considered it. Otherwise she is at a total disadvantage in this relationship.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Not all 16-year-olds are clueless. I've known some who were wise, including myself. I resent those who look down on young people and assume they can't learn from them. Nevertheless, it's highly probable that she is one of the clueless ones. The following paragraph sums up the majority, with the exception of the age thing:
The elite wrote:The female element of human society is ruled by emotion first and logic second. In the battle between logic and imagination, imagination always wins, fantasy prevails, maternal instinct dominates so that the child comes first and the future comes second. A woman with a newborn baby is too starry-eyed to see a wealthy man's [sic] cannon fodder or a cheap source of slave labor....
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

CUDA wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:16 year old girls have absolutely no clue as to what they're getting into when they decide to marry an older man, let alone a younger one. It's all love and unicorns to them. They know nothing of the responsibilities of parenthood, if that happens. The brain's frontal lobes aren't fully developed until about 25, so emotions still rule, not smarts.
THANK YOU TC. I agree 100% 16 year old's are clueless. and experience has shown me many people under 25 are the same.
I was one once, you know (teenager speak), and I cringe now just remembering what a clueless happy-go-lucky, emotionally driven teenager I was at the time. Impulse control was definitely lacking in the ol' brain.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

Ya My wife and I are dealing with my 24 year old Son, who along with his new wife are openly criticizing my parenting choices with his younger brother. Clueless doesn't even begin to describe their input on the matter. I've raised 8 children. how arrogant to think you know better than me at 24 years of age. funny thing is they talk my Wife how bad a choice she's making when I'm not home, but when I try to talk to them they try to Brush me off. THAT ENDS TONIGHT

― Theodore Roosevelt
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Agreed Cuda, chop the head off that ★■◆● immediately. I've got one wayward just because of her crazy ass mom offering options not available to other children. Now, she lives with her sister and we have a pretty miserable relationship. I'd suggest cut off all contact now until those 2 realize their place. I made the mistake of being too benevolent and it blew up in my face.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

My biggest beef is that they are all too happy to gang up on my wife and let her know how they feel about our choices. but refuse to talk to me about it. the choices are Mine and my responsibility. if you want to play adult then be an adult and talk to the one in charge. this is the last time I will come home and have my wife in tears because of this :evil:

― Theodore Roosevelt
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Honestly, if they are going about it in that manner, you already have the upper hand. Sounds like your wife needs equal authority to be able to withstand them. If she is anything like mine, the kids would run her into the ground, so we discuss best course, then I make her administer it.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

flip wrote:Honestly, if they are going about it in that manner, you already have the upper hand. Sounds like your wife needs equal authority to be able to withstand them. If she is anything like mine, the kids would run her into the ground, so we discuss best course, then I make her administer it.
her word is My word and the Kids know it. but at 5'2" and 125lbs her words don't always carry the same fear as 6'6" and 270lbs
at this point it's a protection issue. not from a physical thing, but a reinforcement of her authority thing.

― Theodore Roosevelt
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Lol, no wonder they are skeered. :P
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

:mrgreen:

― Theodore Roosevelt
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

CUDA wrote:Ya My wife and I are dealing with my 24 year old Son, who along with his new wife are openly criticizing my parenting choices with his younger brother. Clueless doesn't even begin to describe their input on the matter. I've raised 8 children. how arrogant to think you know better than me at 24 years of age. funny thing is they talk my Wife how bad a choice she's making when I'm not home, but when I try to talk to them they try to Brush me off. THAT ENDS TONIGHT
"Chuckle!" The arrogance of youth and the wisdom of age. They won't learn until they get older and look back upon themselves through the lens of hindsight. I had that attitude when I was a teenager and so do ALL teenagers and young adults. It will never change either! It's not necessarily a bad thing, just an impediment to good judgement sometimes. :D
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Yeah, CUDA, it's one thing to question parenting techiniques but that sounds downright abusive. I went through a (very brief) "everything that's wrong with me is my parents' fault!" stage and even then I was never like what you are describing.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

I went through that, and might not totally be out of the woods even now. Neither my parents nor myself were perfect, so it's been a lot to wade through sometimes. The solution is not to expect to answer every problem or disagreement. The solution, and ultimately the path to the solution for the young person, in my mind, is to establish the approach that they ought to have toward you and your wife, and giving mom grief when dad's out ain't it. They'll figure the rest out with a lot less turbulence if they get that right. Good for you for dealing with it. Proverbs would be a good start, for them, I would think. If they can't even honor their father and mother in that situation (and they're not) then they've got it wrong from square one. Honoring one's father and mother is more important that whether you're technically correct in your argument. If they could grasp that they'd be in good shape.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Something that has dawned on me semi-recently is that the connection between my once (and still in some ways, I'm sure) naive ideal upbringing scenario and some of the good fruits of my parents efforts in my upbringing are likely to be purely imaginary. Sometimes you can take certain things for granted, and presume the same outcome without totally understanding what went into that outcome. It's a good lesson to learn relatively early in life.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

well there are two prevailing issue.
1. He thinks I let his little brother get away with more than I let him get away with :roll: so therefore I've stopped parenting. his selective memory of his younger days is remarkable.
2. He doesn't think his brother is serious enough about his faith. so like many young Christians he breaks out his club and tries to beat him into submission. which is just driving a wedge further between them. :evil:
Morpheus wrote:sooner or later you're going to realize, just as I did, that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path
he hasn't reached that stage yet. he's so busy practicing his religion that he's forgotten to practice his faith.

he just need to realize that this Old Lion still has his teeth and if he continues, those teeth will take a large chunk out of his hide

― Theodore Roosevelt
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I’m surprised no one has used the term “gold digger” I mean, with the parents going along, and whatnot.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Lol, yeah I thought the same thing. I can hear it now. "Hell let him marry her, it won't last but then she'll have his money in her hands."
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Spidey wrote:I’m surprised no one has used the term “gold digger” I mean, with the parents going along, and whatnot.
per the video, the terms "floozy" and "hussy", and "creep" and "lecher" also come to mind.
"I've long called these people Religious Maniacs because, of course, they are. I always point out that you don't need a god to be religious maniac; you just need a dogma and a Devil." - Ace @ Ace of SpadesHQ, 13 May 2015, 1900 hr
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Here's an interesting question:

If she actually is a 'gold-digger', and he knowingly goes along with it for fun... is it simply a legal method for a long-term prostitute encounter?
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

It's probably easier than having to take her out to an expensive dinner every evening. ;)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I talked to my 24 year old daughter and she pretty much agrees with TC. As my daughter puts it, she'd have a hard time communicating with a 16 year old as what they have in common are so far apart. Just think how far apart the newly weds are. After the first few weeks of getting laid wears off...what will be left?
null0010
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by null0010 »

Foil wrote:Here's an interesting question:

If she actually is a 'gold-digger', and he knowingly goes along with it for fun... is it simply a legal method for a long-term prostitute encounter?
Couldn't you twist definitions and intent into a knot like that to describe virtually any romantic relationship?
CUDA wrote:He thinks I let his little brother get away with more than I let him get away with
Why would anyone think this is a bad thing? I actively tried to get my parents to let my younger sibling "get away with more" than I could.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

tunnelcat wrote:
CUDA wrote:I've raised 8 children. how arrogant to think you know better than me at 24 years of age....
"Chuckle!" The arrogance of youth and the wisdom of age..... :D
This is all starting to sound very cliché. 9_9

Not all teenagers are arrogant; not all old people are wise. Even if Cuda's son was wrong about this one, don't you think it's a bit arrogant to assume that you're perfect just because you're old? If a 55-year-old told me she loved me and asked me to marry her when I was 16, I would have refused politely. Moreover, I wouldn't have believed that a 55-year-old truly loved me. I didn't do much criticizing of older people unless it was about racism or if it was about older people thinking they know better than I do in all areas. :P