official gameport to usb & 3D Pro Plus vs Precision Pro

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

kohan69
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

official gameport to usb & 3D Pro Plus vs Precision Pro

Post by kohan69 »

Hello, I have an issue with the usb to gameport adapter (official one, probably from a Precision Pro)

my issue is that it doesnt work with my 3D pro plus
I thought i had a preciosion pro!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SideWinder

1.) according to my research precision pro looks exactly like 3D pro plus, in fact, its the same joystick with a different controller - is that so?

2.) Do i have no way of using my 3d pro plus with the official usb adapter?
(Will it work with Grendel's, at least?)

3.) According to wikipedia, the only joysticks that support the official adapter are:
Freestyle Pro, Precision Pro (Part No. 57540), and Precision Pro 2.0, correct?

Thanks!
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: official gameport to usb & 3D Pro Plus vs Precision Pro

Post by Thenior »

It's been a long time, but I do know that the "official" gameport to usb adapter doesn't work on the 3D pro
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

kohan, there are two different versions of that stick:

The earlier version (product id 97462, "3D Pro Plus") does not have USB capability, except with Grendel's 3DP-Vert adapter.

The later version (product id 87591, "Precision Pro") comes with a USB adapter. That adapter does not work with the earlier version.

Does that clear things up?
kohan69
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by kohan69 »

That's what I assumed. The 2 sticks look identical though - what's the difference?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Grendel would be the one to ask, but despite the sticks looking identical on the outside, there are some internal differences. I'm guessing it's more than just the firmware, or someone would have come up with an updater to make the older stick work with the adapter.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Wikipedia:
For its electronics, the Precision Pro featured a refined hybrid system, resolving some of the hardware compatibility issues with the 3D Pro. However, with the widespread introduction of USB in consumer computers shortly after the Precision Pro was released, Microsoft soon re-released the joystick in a USB-compatible form (joysticks labeled as Part No. X03-57540, Product I.D. 85791). The revised joystick still featured a gameport connector but had additional circuitry for interfacing with USB, and was bundled with a USB converter
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Different MCU -- there are no electronics in the PP's adapter, the USB interface is build into the microcontroller of the PP. The 3DPP runs on an older controller that doesn't have the USB part.