netbook or tablet

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

netbook or tablet

Post by ReadyMan »

My wife is going to be doing a lot of traveling and needs a lighter option than her heavy laptop.
She wants to buy a netbook, but I've been holding off until the MS tablets show up.
Are any MS tablets on the near horizon or is it going to be apple/android for a while yet?

She needs net access and does all her work thru a VPN connection to her office.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

RM
Fighting villains is what I do!
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re: netbook or tablet

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Gigabyte S1080 is a tablet device that offers Win7 on it.
I'm sure there are others out there with MS OS.
Prepare for DESCENT!
FireFox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FireFox »

There are other options out there for MS OS tablets. The question is what is she going to use it for mainly?

There was also this hybrid type of Netbook/tablet I saw in my research were it is a netbook but you can flip over the screen in its frame and then it functions as a tablet sort of best of both worlds, OS Win 7. Problem thou is most of the tablets out there are atom based and thus making them a bit slow or seem sluggish but battery life is rather good. Thus it really depends on what is important computing power or battery life and go from there.

I personally have a Asus EEE EP121 and love it but is rather on the pricey side and battery life takes a hit as it's a core i5 processor. It is also a bit heavier than some of its counterparts but that is because it is a 12.1" not 10" like most tablets. But it works for me in the environment I use is it as I'm not away from a power source for longer than its battery life of about 3 hours on balanced mode and if you push it to power save mode I'm guessing 5 hours depending on what you do with it and whether or not you are using it the whole time.

Here is the link to my post about the options I was looking at, at that time. There should be more option now thou.
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing!
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Thanks for the replies!

Seems tablets havent caught up to their price yet, especially the windows versions.
I bought her an Acer aspire one 722-bz480 netbook
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390472,00.asp

Costco had them for $325 (target had a sale on them last month for $250 and they sent you a $50 gift card, so $200...dunno if that was a one time thing, but slick deals had an ad on it).
11.6 screen
3 lbs
2gb RAM
1mb cache on an amd dual core
320 HD

Not too shabby...I couldnt talk her into a small laptop, as the weight was the issue.

Having seen so many tablets, I'd sure like to get one, but dont want to be stuck on a mac os, or android for that matter (I have an android phone, which is great for a phone).

Seems like MS is missing the boat big time when it comes to tablets...

thanks again for the links!
Fighting villains is what I do!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

There are a couple problems with Windows-based tablets; the first is that the usability isn't that great compared to other tablets (until next version anyway) and thus they have limited consumer appeal. The second stems from that - there isn't a huge variety out there yet.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Windows based tablets will be a good choice when windows 8 launches

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.