Defgragging Vista

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Defgragging Vista

Post by thewolfe »

Had my friend defrag his Vista an hour and a half ago and it's still going but been a couple of years since he did it last. Evidently Vista defrag doesn't have a progress bar so.......is Vista like the old XP that took forever and would start over if the screensaver comes on or is it stalled out but can't tell?

Well, I just got a call and from what I can tell it has finished it's defrag. On diff he can see is that it says " defrag now". I just love Vista, eyh?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Defgragging Vista

Post by Krom »

Doesn't restart if the screen saver kicks in, just keeps right on going. But after not defragging for a couple years it is probably going to take more than one pass to really clean everything up. Defrag once a year and it takes hours and hours to finish, once a day and it takes seconds to finish.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

How often should you defrag for an "average" user?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Average user, heavy user, light user; doesn't make a difference, daily works best.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

*Just learned something*

I thought NTFS was supposed to be better about fragmentation than FAT. Apparently that's not really the case.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Yeah not really, its more up to how the OS caches/performs writes and Windows isn't particularly good at avoiding fragmentation.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i have 7 Pro and i run Defraggler weekly
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I know there are ext3 drivers out there for windows... does an ext3 drive being run by windows need defragmentation?
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

snoopy wrote:I know there are ext3 drivers out there for windows... does an ext3 drive being run by windows need defragmentation?
Probably:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3#Defragmentation

I don't think there is a file system in existence for hard disks that doesn't eventually require defragmentation. SSDs on the other hand...
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

If all you're concerned about is fragmentation, then packing all of your files at the beginning of the disk is a bad idea, since packed files quickly fragment. If you make certain assumptions about rotational media, then this is sometimes an acceptable tradeoff.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I defrag mine once a week with Auslogics disk defrag. It gets the job done quickly.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Krom wrote:
snoopy wrote:I know there are ext3 drivers out there for windows... does an ext3 drive being run by windows need defragmentation?
Probably:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3#Defragmentation

I don't think there is a file system in existence for hard disks that doesn't eventually require defragmentation. SSDs on the other hand...

You are correct. Ext3 suffers from fragmentation to a much lesser degree than FAT, though. Ext3 really shines when your drive is relatively empty... because there's plenty of open space into which new files can be inserted. Once the drive starts getting full, things get a lot more fragmented.

I need to get myself one of those SSD's some day.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Diskeeper's "set and forget" works well

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.