"Asexual" girl talks about her rare orientation

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

"Asexual" girl talks about her rare orientation

Post by Burlyman »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16552173

Technically, she's not asexual, because,

1.) She's a girl

2.) According to one of the selected comments on the article, "asexual" people can still have relations and enjoy it.

Discuss ^_^
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: "Asexual" girl talks about her rare orientation

Post by flip »

Looks like Tim is slowly working that ;)
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

What is there to discuss? She isn't sexually attracted to anyone. Big deal. Is this really the first time you've heard of something like this? Are you complaining about the use of the word asexual? Should we invent a new word even though this one is appropriate?

The only thing I can imagine discussion worthy is the biomechanics behind such a thing, which of course is nothing I'm qualified to discuss.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

No, I'm not complaining about anything. :P It makes no difference whether or not this is the first time I've heard about this, but it was on BBC, so apparently they never heard about it. ^_~
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

They've been studying sexual orientation and sexuality in sheep at the U.S Sheep Experiment Station and at Oregon State University for years. They discovered that 7 to 10 percent of rams are gay, 1 in 5 swing both ways (as they put it) and a whopping 15% are asexual. So that makes asexuality less rare than homosexuality.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... utton.html
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

here is where the Biologist in me gets a bit perplexed. Asexual refers to an individual(species, whatever) that REPRODUCES, but not via a sexual mechanism. This person would be considered 'non-sexual' insofar as having no interest. Way different.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexuality

Someone shoot me…I posted a Wiki page. :wink:
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Shoots Spidey:

Slickski is right also:

"Asexual reproduction is a mode of reproduction by which offspring arise from a single parent, and inherit the genes of that parent only; it is reproduction which does not involve meiosis, ploidy reduction, or fertilization."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexual_reproduction
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Yeah, it's kind of a confusing overlapping of terms. Definitely not the only time that's happened though.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

If you ask me, someone put something in her water, and we're next.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I wouldn't mind putting something in her....
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Top Gun wrote:Yeah, it's kind of a confusing overlapping of terms. Definitely not the only time that's happened though.
what you see is the conflict between the scientific terminology, which is very specific, and vernacular. In no way, to anyone with a Biology degree, is this woman ever going to be asexual.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I have no idea why anybody would think the word is being used in the biological context when referring to humans…

“A” as a prefix is used loosely in casual vernacular to mean “non” or “disinterested”

Examples:

apolitical and areligious.

Context is important, as there are many “overlapping terms”.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

tunnelcat wrote:They've been studying sexual orientation and sexuality in sheep at the U.S Sheep Experiment Station and at Oregon State University for years. They discovered that 7 to 10 percent of rams are gay, 1 in 5 swing both ways (as they put it) and a whopping 15% are asexual. So that makes asexuality less rare than homosexuality.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... utton.html
Yeah, and in the article I posted, it states that about 1% of the human population would consider themselves "asexual," yet you see gays running around all over the place. :P I propose the term 'non-sexual' or something similar be used so it won't be confused with true asexuality. :P
If you ask me, someone put something in her water, and we're next.
I wouldn't mind being asexual. ^_~
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Maybe they evolved from sheep :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

callmeslick wrote:here is where the Biologist in me gets a bit perplexed. Asexual refers to an individual(species, whatever) that REPRODUCES, but not via a sexual mechanism. This person would be considered 'non-sexual' insofar as having no interest. Way different.
Semantics. I didn't coin the term, I just quoted it. It seems that the word asexuality can have 2 different interpretations, either one valid depending on what you're talking about. One meaning refers to an organism as being non-sexual and having no desire to have sex, the other meaning referring to a single organism that can reproduce by itself without sex.

http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.ph ... Asexuality

By the way boys, you may not want to drink out of those clear plastic containers that contain BPA. Oh wait, even the new non-BPA containing plastics, including the stuff they use to coat the inside of metal cans, will still leach out some form of estrogen-mimicking compounds. All that fake estrogen you consume will kill your testosterone production and turn you into non-sexuals with man boobs. :P

http://www.fastcompany.com/1733715/bpa- ... e-chemical
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Hey I like my man boobs :P
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Heretic wrote:Hey I like my man boobs :P
Until you get old and they hang down lower than your navel and you need a bra just to hold them up. :P
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

this thread is taking an ugly turn into mental imagery I really didn't need to see before dinner......... :lol:
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Oh, I'm sorry. I'm using the wrong descriptor. They're called "moobs". :mrgreen:
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

tunnelcat wrote:Oh, I'm sorry. I'm using the wrong descriptor. They're called "moobs". :mrgreen:
manmaries?? :mrgreen:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

back titties!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

she's going to be lonely when or if she gets old.

Grand-kids rock!
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

You can still have kids, the least exotic way being to adopt.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Jeff250 wrote:You can still have kids, the least exotic way being to adopt.
Or be artificially inseminated.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

If she's truly asexual, she may not have the mothering instinct either and not want any kids at all.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

There is nothing natural about this lady's condition. I find it laughable that the notion of "asexuality" in humans is accepted as something that follows natural asexuality, and even extended upon base on this assumption (tunnelcat). Humans are not asexual by nature, and they are not homosexual by nature. If we were to bring reason into it, we should look for a cause, not just swallow the assumptions or popular explanations to spare the feelings of people who are apparently asexual or homosexual, or to lend some artificial legitimacy to their place in normative humanity. It is neither normal nor healthy.

There seems to be the idea inserted in there that this is the next human rights battle, already partially won in the victories for the acceptance of homosexuality as normal in society. Absurd. There is something causing it, or something that, somewhere along the line, caused it.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

LOL!
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:There is nothing natural about this lady's condition. I find it laughable that the notion of "asexuality" in humans is accepted as something that follows natural asexuality, and even extended upon base on this assumption (tunnelcat). Humans are not asexual by nature, and they are not homosexual by nature. If we were to bring reason into it, we should look for a cause, not just swallow the assumptions or popular explanations to spare the feelings of people who are apparently asexual or homosexual, or to lend some artificial legitimacy to their place in normative humanity. It is neither normal nor healthy.
Well, we're listening. If want to show that an attractive, smiling young woman in a happy relationship is unhealthy (however you define that word, which you should), then the burden of proof is on you.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

...and they are not homosexual by nature.
loooooooool
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Jeff250 wrote:Well, we're listening. If want to show that an attractive, smiling young woman in a happy relationship is unhealthy (however you define that word, which you should), then the burden of proof is on you.
First off I don't need to define "unhealthy", since Webster and any number of websites since have done it for us. I am clearly speaking in the context of the health of the individual in question, so you or anyone else can make use of the English language and take it from there. Secondly the burden of proof is not on me. It doesn't need to be proven, as if it were some abstract notion. The article takes pains to show that she is still able to have some semblance of a relationship with her boyfriend, albeit without some of the primary tenants of an intimate relationship between a man and a women. This indicates a recognition that a relationship without these things is lacking/missing them, and endures despite their absence. Unhealthy. A question we might pose would be if a person in this situation could recover the influence of their natural sexuality, should they want to? And why or why not? I would insist that they should, and that any of a number of reasons for thinking they should not are absurd, and serve some interest other than the health and happiness of the individual (or in denial of health, and ignorant of where happiness is derived from in life).
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I think way too much is being made out of this. She is only 21, she may be built small and this is her angle. I bet she grows out of this "asexuality" as soon as she loses some inhibitions. Weirdos and their labels is what this boils down to.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

ST wrote:First off I don't need to define "unhealthy", since Webster and any number of websites since have done it for us. I am clearly speaking in the context of the health of the individual in question, so you or anyone else can make use of the English language and take it from there.
Please don't be intentionally obtuse. You know that even in a dictionary there are multiple definitions of words like "unhealthy." For instance:

1) "not in a state of good or normal health; in an unsound, weak, or morbid condition"
vs.
2) "morally bad, harmful, or contaminating"

can make a huge difference in what you're arguing. It's not unreasonable to ask you to define how you're using words like this. Otherwise, we won't understand what you're arguing.
ST wrote:The article takes pains to show that she is still able to have some semblance of a relationship with her boyfriend, albeit without some of the primary tenants of an intimate relationship between a man and a women.
When they say they enjoy their relationship, my first instinct is to believe them, not try to come up with some rationalization for why they might lie about such a thing.

You've never been in a relationship that never had any sex? Or at least one that you were happy in?

Since Christianity prohibits sex before marriage, I would have expected you to be championing the merits of relationships without sex instead of accusing these two people of being "unhealthy" for not engaging in it!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:There is nothing natural about this lady's condition. I find it laughable that the notion of "asexuality" in humans is accepted as something that follows natural asexuality, and even extended upon base on this assumption (tunnelcat). Humans are not asexual by nature, and they are not homosexual by nature. If we were to bring reason into it, we should look for a cause, not just swallow the assumptions or popular explanations to spare the feelings of people who are apparently asexual or homosexual, or to lend some artificial legitimacy to their place in normative humanity. It is neither normal nor healthy.

There seems to be the idea inserted in there that this is the next human rights battle, already partially won in the victories for the acceptance of homosexuality as normal in society. Absurd. There is something causing it, or something that, somewhere along the line, caused it.
Coming from a uninformed, religious-biased point of view. Didn't you get the point of the animal studies I posted links to? These sexual variations appear to occur in animals naturally, and by extension, probably in humans. We're all basically very complicated organic programs, and that programming is not always perfect, nor is it necessarily "wrong" when it doesn't always match societal "norms". It's just natural variation. It also doesn't seem to be impacting our reproductive rates either, despite religious leaders' fears of hoards of homos taking over the country. So why does it bother you religious types when a person is not a perfect heterosexual? What skin is it off your backs? I see no threats to society.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Never said it was a threat to society. Said it wasn't an ideal situation for her, and that it has a cause outside of some natural variation. I can't prove that last part, but I know there are all kinds of things impacting us, from hormones added to the things we eat, to neurotoxins like MSG (and the host of other names they use for it), to chemicals in our water. It's a pretty big assumption to take the position that it's a natural variation. Wiping aside the possibility of outside influence at a stroke for no reason other than that you choose to believe that this is just another form of non-heterosexual "individuality" to be embraced by the enlightened mind.

Jeff, I think you make it overly difficult to understand what I'm arguing. Also you seem to derive meanings where there are none. I never suggested that they were lying about being happy. Lastly I think it would be kind of fucked up to turn a Biblical view on the proper domain of sex into a reinforcement for relationships entirely devoid of the same. It is not somehow Godly to abstain from sex in a relationship, and I have no confusion on that point. It's just that it has, as I said, a proper domain.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

ST wrote:Jeff, I think you make it overly difficult to understand what I'm arguing.
Asking you to define a word like "unhealthy" is not unreasonable, especially when you seem to be using it in a way that causes many of us to scratch our heads. Why don't you just tell us what you mean by that word? It'll be less of an inconvenience for you than having to go back and forth with me about whether you should.
ST wrote:Lastly I think it would be kind of fucked up to turn a Biblical view on the proper domain of sex into a reinforcement for relationships entirely devoid of the same. It is not somehow Godly to abstain from sex in a relationship, and I have no confusion on that point. It's just that it has, as I said, a proper domain.
I personally wouldn't use the Bible to justify anything, but I am trying to find common ground with you. The two people from the article weren't married, so if they were Christians, then they wouldn't be having sex anyways. So how can you see their relationship as "unhealthy"? I would think that most Christian relationships would not have any sex, since most don't lead to marriage. Are those relationships unhealthy?
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

callmeslick wrote:
Top Gun wrote:Yeah, it's kind of a confusing overlapping of terms. Definitely not the only time that's happened though.
what you see is the conflict between the scientific terminology, which is very specific, and vernacular. In no way, to anyone with a Biology degree, is this woman ever going to be asexual.
I think she's going to spontaneously impregnate herself just to prove you wrong.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I'd buy the video of that one....... :lol:
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:Never said it was a threat to society. Said it wasn't an ideal situation for her, and that it has a cause outside of some natural variation. I can't prove that last part, but I know there are all kinds of things impacting us, from hormones added to the things we eat, to neurotoxins like MSG (and the host of other names they use for it), to chemicals in our water. It's a pretty big assumption to take the position that it's a natural variation. Wiping aside the possibility of outside influence at a stroke for no reason other than that you choose to believe that this is just another form of non-heterosexual "individuality" to be embraced by the enlightened mind.
Given the fact that instances of homosexuality have be recorded throughout human history in the past, well before those nasty man-made chemicals invaded our everyday culture, I'm betting that it's a natural variation that doesn't negatively impact the survival of the species as a whole and thus is not removed by natural selection.

But I'm also guessing that goes against your belief that God is perfect and by extension, made man perfect at birth, and therefor no homosexuals or asexuals are possible states before birth by condition because that would mean God had screwed up and made them imperfect, which in not possible in your eyes. So you conclude it must be an environmentally caused defect not made by God.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

tunnelcat wrote:Given the fact that instances of homosexuality have be recorded throughout human history in the past, well before those nasty man-made chemicals invaded our everyday culture, I'm betting that it's a natural variation that doesn't negatively impact the survival of the species as a whole and thus is not removed by natural selection.

But I'm also guessing that goes against your belief that God is perfect and by extension, made man perfect at birth, and therefor no homosexuals or asexuals are possible states before birth by condition because that would mean God had screwed up and made them imperfect, which in not possible in your eyes. So you conclude it must be an environmentally caused defect not made by God.
I can't answer for Thorne, but I can answer for myself:

On the first point, I agree. Nothing new about homosexuality. IMO, even nothing new about seeing it as a normal part of society. I'd venture to say that the phobic view of it found in recent history is actually the abnormal state for mankind. I'd be one to argue that the nature of humanity really hasn't changed in any significant ways in recorded history (other than in the garden of eden, if you consider that part of recorded history). If you want to take issue with that thought, it might make for an interesting separate thread.

As far as your theological implications go: 1. I disagree that God made the world (and man) perfect. He made it good, but I'd argue that the only thing ever capable of perfection is God... and that creation, by definition, cannot be perfect because it cannot be God Himself. 2. I disagree that man is born fully "good". I think everything on this earth went from good to bad in the garden of eden, due to sin's influence.... including all people from the moment of conception. Everything's still got little glimpses of good in it, because it still has the touch of the creator (perfection Himself), but everything's also got touches of bad (or, more technically, not good) in it, too. All that leads me to conclude that homosexuality is just another wart caused by sin, along with death, rot, hard labor, painful childbearing, hate, pride, etc.

Hint: The root of the problem with homosexuality isn't about men having sex with men, but is really pride.... which is really the root of all sin.
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan