Is Ferguson to blame?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Is Ferguson to blame?

Post by snoopy »

link

Here's my simple question: do you agree that Ferguson is to blame, or do you think it's something else? If something else, what do you think it is?

As a followup: what should we do about it?
Arch Linux x86-64, Openbox
"We'll just set a new course for that empty region over there, near that blackish, holeish thing. " Zapp Brannigan
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Is Ferguson to blame?

Post by callmeslick »

two observations: First, I think 'Ferguson' is just a symptom of a more connected world, with every citizen able to record nearly everything. Second, I thnk the stats are a bit misleading, as every breakdown suggests a WIDELY varied reality, with overall violent crime down, and extreme spikes in a few locations.
What to do about the issues the article raises? That's tough, as we cannot allow wholesale police brutality or excess of any sort by them, but still have to maintain public order. Perhaps, the fact that the victims are largely people of color will serve to galvanize the black community to a bit of introspection. As I noted in a discouse with a high-level player in the 'Black Lives Matter' movement, that idea is sort of empty if the community is unwilling to acknowledge targetting of black people WITHIN the community by other black people. That observation wasn't received well by that individual, but brought a lot of support from others in the roundtable discussion(some of whom, thankfully, were men and women of color).
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

snoopy wrote:link

Here's my simple question: do you agree that Ferguson is to blame, or do you think it's something else? If something else, what do you think it is?

As a followup: what should we do about it?
I blame George Soros for funding the leftist extremist that agitated in Ferguson. From there we went to Baltimore and now we have "black lives matter", a group that receives funding from Soros. Throw in Rev Sharpton agitating to kill cops, along with the Justice Dept. getting their fingers in how cops perform and you have a witches brew affecting law enforcement to the point they don't want to get out of their cars in the big cities.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

If your theory was correct, you'd see crime spike nationwide, across the board, Woody. We don't, however. As I said, I think you're seeing a widely varied response by police forces to the fact that their every move is likely to be recorded. The rest of what you whine about are merely very, very, minor upshots of that reality and the resulting footage.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

This is the type of thing that happens when two parties are responsible for something, but only one party is being taken to task.

And to make it worse, one party is being marked as the perps and the other are the poor helpless victims.

Sure cameras may change the behavior of cops, but what will change the behavior of the Negros.

Yea I said it, black people need to learn how to behave when dealing with the police.

Now I’m not going to comment on the police side because, that’s where all of the effort is already being given, so that would be pointless.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Spidey wrote:Yea I said it, black people need to learn how to behave when dealing with the police.
"Those people."

I actually think this is a problem that will work itself out in time. The reasons why I believe this get too complicated for talking about on a game forum, but it can be summed up with a pro-gun control argument. Guns are seen as "the great equalizer." So are cameras. What is yet to be seen is how a world of constant surveillance changes society, but all I have to say about it now is, always film the people filming you, no exceptions.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea, too bad people can’t treat “those people” with some respect, and actually speak the truth, instead of treating them like some pampered voting block.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

vision wrote:"Those people."
This creates such a ridiculous catch-22.

If a white person tries to speak about issues that have a racial component inclusively, they'll be criticized for cultural appropriation or for trying to insert themself into a "black issue". If they describe themselves as outsiders and use "they" language, they're criticized for being divisive.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

"What do you mean, 'you people'?"

"What do YOU mean, 'you people'?"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

What is the meaning of "is". Me gazes at navel.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager