Kaput

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Kaput

Post by woodchip »

Climate models are dying but they just don't know it yet:
A new NASA study found that Antarctica has been adding more ice than it's been losing, challenging other research, including that of the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, that concludes that Earth’s southern continent is losing land ice overall.

In a paper published in the Journal of Glaciology on Friday, researchers from NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, the University of Maryland in College Park, and the engineering firm Sigma Space Corporation offer a new analysis of satellite data that show a net gain of 112 billion tons of ice a year from 1992 to 2001 in the Antarctic ice sheet.

That gain slowed to 82 billion tons of ice per year between 2003 and 2008.
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2015/1 ... rming-over

so from 1992 - 2008 the antarctic has been gaining ice while the doom sayers say it's been losing ice and the resultant sea level rise will drown all the puppies in you yard. It is this constant drip of info showing the climate models are wrong and nothing more than a perpetuated hoax to make some people rich (Algore anyone).
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Kaput

Post by Jeff250 »

woodchip wrote:Algore
I've seen people leaving out the space for longer than I can remember, but I've never figured out the reference. It seems to be used as a term of disparagement, but how does excluding the space do that? Is there some joke I'm missing here?
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Sometimes it's best not to travel too deeply into the rabbit hole. Just smile and nod. :)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Jeff250 wrote:
woodchip wrote:Algore
I've seen people leaving out the space for longer than I can remember, but I've never figured out the reference. It seems to be used as a term of disparagement, but how does excluding the space do that? Is there some joke I'm missing here?
I always assumed it was this.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but neither does much of the popular junk surrounding this issue.

-------

Edit, regarding the claim that Antarctic ice increases means "global warming is a hoax":

From the source, for reference.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

And this too.

Middle east soon to be inhospitable doe to climate change.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/1 ... te-change/
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I was viewing a sort of 'worst case' scenario interactive map of sea level rise effects in the coastal US. The bright side is that my great grandchildren
(about the year 2100) should own a crapload of beachfront property over on the seaside of the Peninsula, and you can walk to the Chesapeake Bay from the family house.

[A number of flame posts below this one were removed.]