Interplay back in business

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Interplay back in business

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Lol. No money :)
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

i probaly got more money than them! and I only got $300 USD!!!....... myabe not...
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

will they just roll over and die allready
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I know Interplay did a lot of fudge ups but remember this, if it wasn't for them, we'd have no D.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

let me tell you. Our parent company has been searching for 5 Million USD venture capital for the last 12 months. We have ALMOST nailed it too. We have some cash on hand though, so we're not too keen on getting screwed by the VCers.

Interplay would get completely screwed by VCers - and that's *IF* they can get some money from somebody - which doesn't seem likely unless they have an ace in the hole - which they would haqve played ages ago.

So, Interplay may not be dead - but it's certainly having those death throes pretty seriously.
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

CDN_Merlin wrote:I know Interplay did a lot of fudge ups but remember this, if it wasn't for them, we'd have no D.
ya know, it's not the fudge ups that were the problem, unless you take into account the bad marketing, early demo releases and termination of the dev teams for fledgling games. (KA anyone?) I personally think it was the narrow niche market they targetted that let them down. star trek games and some outrageously different play mechanics called descent was their downfall.

Most of their games were either hard to get used to, or just flat out unpopular with the masses.

It is sad that a publisher with any kind of differing opinion about the gaming industry has to be an example, but that's just business as usual for the entertainment industry.

alright just shoot me I don't understand
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Why cant it just DIE already?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

What difference does it make?
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

The difference being that they would have to sell their assets and their rights to games like Descent.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I'd love to see teh pricks go under, but all they need to do is sell some licenses and I can safely foget they exist.

Something I found interesting at PD.
GA: Interplay is home to some of gaming's most beloved franchises. Considering the games announced earlier this year â?? based on the Descent, Fallout, Kingpin, Exalted (from the creators of Hunter) and Dark Alliance properties â?? are some licenses more likely to be on the trading block than others?
DV: I assume anything is on the chopping block to save the company. Herve [Herve Caen, Interplay's CEO] said he expects to announce something within the next couple days that will be enough of a boost to bring us back in. When it gets this dire, I assume everything is up for grabs.

Long term, with the properties we own and what we have under our belt, we're in good shape. Short term, we have a situation to fix. Bankruptcy is not a necessary step for us. SG Capital [the company helping Interplay raise capital] agrees.

Some deals were close to complete before this happened, but until there's a signature there's no guarantee.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

...and if they sold their rights to Descent, would anyone pick it up?

I doubt it means anything much any more.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Might be a bargain..
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

CDN_Merlin wrote:I know Interplay did a lot of fudge ups but remember this, if it wasn't for them, we'd have no D.
That's not true.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Interlpay fudged up MAX 2 and every Star Trek game.
SSX-Thunderbird
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by SSX-Thunderbird »

Wasn't MAX 2 their game that required a specific version of DirectX and wouldn't work with future versions? I know I ran into problems with one of their demos for that reason (it needed DX5, and wouldn't work with DX6).