I've had this uneasy feeling for a while

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

I've had this uneasy feeling for a while

Post by callmeslick »

....about the whole of the field for President this year, since Biden declared out.......thanks to Nate Silver, a statistical election guru, I don't feel alone anymore. Except for Sanders, the overall view of the public is that they dislike EVERY candidate out there.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/1/18 ... ity-rating
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re: I've had this uneasy feeling for a while

Post by Lothar »

The original article: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/don ... on-voters/

It should be noted that Rubio and Carson are very close to even/positive, well within the margin for error. (The Bern is, likewise, within the margin for being slightly negative.)

Though I'm less interested in the net than the raw unfavorable numbers. Trump, Bush, and Hillary are all 50%+ unfavorable -- meaning that a full half of the electorate doesn't want to vote for them. To me, that suggests they're basically unelectable except against each other. Whereas a team of Rubio-Kasich vs Sanders-O'Malley would actually be electable on both sides. Neither of those pairings is a "hold your nose and vote for the lesser of two evils" scenario like Trump v Hillary would be, provided there aren't massive skeletons in the closet.
Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

good analysis. Traditionally(and this year is shaping up as anything but), 40-plus percent Negatives are supposed to be the Kiss of Death.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Here, take this poll:

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Makes as much sense and is as believable as your liberal spewing Daily Kos link.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Drudge Report? Find me some real polling or news outlet, please.
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

And you hold up the Daily KOS as real poll taking? And just what poll are they referring to in your link other than some blog writer expressing his opinion. No wonder you come across as a partisan joke.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

woodchip wrote:And you hold up the Daily KOS as real poll taking?
um, no. Put on those glasses, big guy! It is a KOS report on a Nate Silver polling analysis. Not a guy noted for ideological biases, and a real deep thinker on political trending. You were later provided a direct link to the article they were interviewing Silver about. Some cheese with that whine?
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Yawn...did you post something?

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Can you two dispense with the ridiculous smack-talk, and get back to the topic?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

callmeslick wrote:
woodchip wrote:And you hold up the Daily KOS as real poll taking?
um, no. Put on those glasses, big guy! It is a KOS report on a Nate Silver polling analysis. Not a guy noted for ideological biases, and a real deep thinker on political trending. You were later provided a direct link to the article they were interviewing Silver about. Some cheese with that whine?
So what you are saying is deep thinking is another word for egotistical elitism and he is at the head of the class?:

“Plenty of pundits have really high IQs,” he (Nate Silvers) told New York Magazine ahead of the relaunch, “but they don’t have any discipline in how they look at the world, and so it leads to a lot of bull★■◆●, basically.”

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, the National Review just devoted an entire issue to trashing Donald Trump. What does that tell you woody? :wink:

http://www.businessinsider.com/national ... m=referral

Of course, one of the hit pieces was written by none other than Glenn Beck, so obviously they're shilling for Ted Cruz.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

And the GOP has removed The National Review from the GOP debate sponsorship.

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

So THEE most conservative magazine in America is no longer conservative enough for the Republican Party. What does that tell you about the political tilt of today's conservatives? That they're so far right they're no longer conservatives anymore, even to their own party? :roll:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

next step to the right is fascism. Just sayin'
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

And even farther is anarchism. By then, you're becoming a leftist. :P
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

tunnelcat wrote:So THEE most conservative magazine in America is no longer conservative enough for the Republican Party. What does that tell you about the political tilt of today's conservatives? That they're so far right they're no longer conservatives anymore, even to their own party? :roll:
Actually TC, the Republican party has become too in lockstep with the Democratic party. The latest example would by Ryans budget that even rabid Dems couldn't believe their eyes at what was given them. So the people (read conservative voters) no longer have any faith with politicians who voice conservatism but cave to the Dems when push comes to shove (remember all the rhetoric of how the GOP was going to defund Obamacare if only they got control of the house and the senate?) After a landslide victory did you see anything happen?

So along comes Trump, gets a broad base coalition like the GOP says it needs to survive, and still gets snubbed. People are willing to overlook Trumps prior Dem. leanings as he is saying the things they want a politician to say. Just when the GOP starts looking like they are accepting him, along come TNR and slams Trump for not being a true conservative. Where were they when Romney was running or McCain? Not a peep. Yet now TNR has Trump in their sites.

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote:
tunnelcat wrote:So THEE most conservative magazine in America is no longer conservative enough for the Republican Party. What does that tell you about the political tilt of today's conservatives? That they're so far right they're no longer conservatives anymore, even to their own party? :roll:
Actually TC, the Republican party has become too in lockstep with the Democratic party. The latest example would by Ryans budget that even rabid Dems couldn't believe their eyes at what was given them. So the people (read conservative voters) no longer have any faith with politicians who voice conservatism but cave to the Dems when push comes to shove (remember all the rhetoric of how the GOP was going to defund Obamacare if only they got control of the house and the senate?) After a landslide victory did you see anything happen?

So along comes Trump, gets a broad base coalition like the GOP says it needs to survive, and still gets snubbed. People are willing to overlook Trumps prior Dem. leanings as he is saying the things they want a politician to say. Just when the GOP starts looking like they are accepting him, along come TNR and slams Trump for not being a true conservative. Where were they when Romney was running or McCain? Not a peep. Yet now TNR has Trump in their sites.
What planet are you from woody? The Republicans haven't worked, AT ALL, with the Dems since Newt Gingrich. Actually, it's been since Nixon, but that's another story. :roll:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Trent Lott and Tom Daschle have a new book out stressing the absolute need of bipartisan cooperation and compromise to prevent a true national crisis.
George Orwell---"1984"
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Izchak says: 'slow down. Think clearly.'
April Fools Day is the one day of the year that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

If Rubio ran with a smoking hot Latino woman as his vp. I would vote for him. :P
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Spidey wrote:If Rubio ran with a smoking hot Latino woman as his vp. I would vote for him. :P
wouldn't be a balanced ticket. But, it would be more fun than the clown parade the GOP has trotted out to date.
George Orwell---"1984"