I don't represent people...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

I don't represent people...

Post by Nightshade »

...so says a democrat "superdelegate."
@D_Born @BernieSanders Super delegates don't "represent people" I'm not elected by anyone. I'll do what I think is right for the country

— Howard Dean (@GovHowardDean) March 5, 2016
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: I don't represent people...

Post by Spidey »

If I told you I understood why primaries are set up like they are…I would be lying.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Wacky primary rules are intended to try to prevent bad situations, but they can just as often cause them or cause other issues.

Here's an example, done by a reputable analytical group: "Donald Trump would be easy to stop under Democratic rules"
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

right you are, Foil. The Dem rules were designed to prevent certain situations, which, frankly, I've never seen arise before. Generally, the vast bulk of the superdelegates follow the lead of the voters, but, as the article noted, it makes stopping someone like Trump easy, if the party leadership deems it is in the best interest of the party. Remember, when you hear people whine about, 'that isn't democratic' that the primary process was never really such. It is a party function. The General is another case, although it is potentially rigged via the Electoral College.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Hmm. Maybe the Republicans need to adopt those same Democratic rules in order to keep out someone like Trump next time. Too late now though. The Trump monster has been unleashed. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well, you have to keep in mind that delegates are not required by law* to vote for anybody, so the Republicans still have a way out, it’s just a little riskier.

* so to speak
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote:Well, you have to keep in mind that delegates are not required by law* to vote for anybody, so the Republicans still have a way out, it’s just a little riskier.

* so to speak
The way "out" would probably start an outright revolt right now if woody's position on Trump is any indication.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea, that's kinda the way things are headed.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Ya know, I'd love to watch a contested Republican Convention. It would make things very interesting for once. :lol:
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

I'm not as sure as I was even a week back that Cruz can make a real run. I certainly don't see Rubio going anywhere, nor Kasich. Trump may well be able to waltz to the nomination. I figure the GOP establishment will give him lip service, and pivot towards trying to save Senate seats. A couple recent polls suggest that they are very likely to lose the Senate.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Polls also indicate Trump takes Ohio and Florida
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

woodchip wrote:Polls also indicate Trump takes Ohio and Florida
That much closer to a Hillary Clinton presidency.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I don't think that she's a shoe-in for the presidency NS. The polls say she is, but I think they're dead wrong. She doesn't excite the Dem base as much as Trump does the Repub base.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

she also doesn't turn off a big chunk of her base to the extremes I am hearing from old Republican pals. In other words, I think the Dems would see more 'hold my nose' voters than the GOP, and the vast middle is apparently NOT willing to see Trump win, unless polls shift radically(60 percent negatives aren't just from Dems).
George Orwell---"1984"