Second PSU For GFFX 6800 Ultra

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Second PSU For GFFX 6800 Ultra

Post by AceCombat »

do you think the video card would know if a 2nd rigged PSU was powering it?

im thinking about using a 200-250 ( or whatever it requires as a stand alone PSU ) Watt PSU to power a GFFX 6800 Ultra, i hope i get one for my BDay
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I don't see why it would... voltage is voltage.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The immedate problem you would have is it would require an older AT style PSU or you are going to have "issues" getting a ATX PSU to power on for it without also being plugged into a mobo, but I think you should be able to find a solution.

-Krom
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Don't most PSUs not work properly if not plugged into a motherboard?

Edit: What Krom said.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I've done crap like that before, where I used one for the WTX connector (since it was going bad) and another (older one) for everything else until I could purchase a new one.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

You can jumper a couple of the pins on the mobo connector to turn on the psu. (14 and 16, maybe) Need to check how many watts the psu can produce at 12V - usullly there's a sticker on the side that says how the watts are divided among the different volt levels - and see if it's enough for the vid card.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

okay so hypothetically this can be done. kool
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

nVidia turned the power req. down to 350W+..
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

well, if Mommy does get you a shiny new 6800, have daddy get you a shiny new PSU to run it all with.

in the other case, if you want to really wire two PSU's together, here's how you do it:

Try not to kill yourself doing it eh?
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

Don't worry about killing yourself with 12 volts. Under normal circumstances (something like 99.999% of the time), it's just not going to happen. :P You'd practically have to put the wires directly on your breating heart for it to do much of anything.

The PS_ON line shown in the pic is, in my experience, universally colored green (in some very old proprietary crap machines, it may be some other color like brown, but that's very rare). Connect it to ground, and you have a living working ATX power supply, whether you connect it to a mobo or not. The PSU won't care. Note that some (very) cheap supplies are designed to work properly only under load, and may overvolt when too weak of a load is present >.< AT supplies are more notable for this than ATX supplies, because the standards on ATX supplies are more strict, but it may still be an issue.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

pATCheS wrote:Don't worry about killing yourself with 12 volts.
Umm... Consider who we're talking about.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Grendel wrote:nVidia turned the power req. down to 350W+..
is that with a entire system or stand alone power req's

STRESSTEST wrote:well, if Mommy does get you a shiny new 6800, have daddy get you a shiny new PSU to run it all with.
i already have a few that should have enough power output. i have 2 200's, 1 250 and 1 300

thanx for that image, i was wondering how you run two PSU's together
WarAdvocat wrote:
pATCheS wrote:Don't worry about killing yourself with 12 volts.
Umm... Consider who we're talking about.
heh WA, ive been hit with 220VAC @ 20 amps. blew me back about 10-15 feet and put me out for about 3-4 minutes. i think 12VDC is childs play compared to what ive been exposed to
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Is that all that you needed Ace? I see this thread turning into a waste of server space soon. So I'll be closing it soon most likely.

Ask redbone in chat today "If you can wire two normal ATX PSU together so that the mobo turnes them both on at the same time" and see what he says. Should be good.. :)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

go ahead and close, i got my answer TY Guys
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

just buy a 450 wat psu damn people allways want to do it the hard way
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Warlock wrote:just buy a 450 wat psu damn people allways want to do it the hard way

your missing the point, my current PSU doesnt have 2 UN-USED Circuit <-- **A SOLID REQUIREMENT** Molex plugs, and im definately not going to use just 1 and branch it off onto all 4 IDE Devices + The floppy you are out of your god dammed mind. that would cook the 12+ and 5+ Rails the instant i turned it on setup like that.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

On a 200-250 Watt supply 10% load ~ = to 2x 1152 automotive lamps.

Put them on the +5V rail... thats where the mondo regulated circuits live for all the other voltages.

The lamps will indicate power state... bright=short or high load, and stop inrush current as well.

Also it's current... not voltage that kills.
And ACE if you had 20 amps cruising through you at 240V AC we would be calling you Mr. Crispy :P

You probably experienced several hundred milliamps...
enough to stop your heart... 20 amps woulda meant fatal blistering and expoding cells of everything major...

Sorta of like a weeney at a weeney roast, but yer the weeny, no fun bro.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

You can't -- the cross current can kill one or both PSU's and evtl. the one or other component. Just sell the one you have and get a real PSU.
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

AceCombat wrote:your missing the point, my current PSU doesnt have 2 UN-USED Circuit <-- **A SOLID REQUIREMENT** Molex plugs, and im definately not going to use just 1 and branch it off onto all 4 IDE Devices + The floppy you are out of your god dammed mind. that would cook the 12+ and 5+ Rails the instant i turned it on setup like that.
Err... You are aware that that's exactly how it's wired up internally aren't you? As long as you don't exceed the current ratings of the rails it doesn't matter how many splitters and whatnot you have ganged off the end of it.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Canuck wrote:Also it's current... not voltage that kills. And ACE if you had 20 amps cruising through you at 240V AC we would be calling you Mr. Crispy :P

hey, i had no hair on my arms, legs, or neck and back for about a week after that happend. hell yah i know what its like, the SOB blew me back 10-15 feet and i blacked out for damn near 4 minutes. i was snapped out of it, by a friend who was showering me in 50 Degree tap water from the garden hose
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Yep this thread is a waste of server space. Good info but it's not going anywhere now.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

hell, i already asked for it to be closed.....