Racism is alive and well...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Racism is alive and well...

Post by Nightshade »

...being taught on campus against one race- white people.

A “Grown-Up” Conversation about Whiteness

Presented by: Dr. Lisa Anderson-Levy, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and Associate Professor of Anthropology, Beloit College​

Title: The Elephant in the Room: A “Grown-Up” Conversation about Whiteness

Abstract: What do our perennial discussions about terrorism, patriotism, and immigration in the U.S. have in common? There has been little public discussion about the logic of white supremacy and how it contextualizes the ways in which we understand who is a terrorist/what counts as terrorism; who is a patriot/what counts as patriotism; and who is an immigrant and what counts as unfavorable immigration. Dr. Anderson-Levy argues that whiteness poses an existential threat to social, political, and economic life in the U.S. and proposes that decentering whiteness is one of the most urgent social dilemmas of our time and demands our immediate attention. This presentation explores the ways in which academic institutions are poised to either reproduce or interrupt these discourses. Analyzing and understanding the intersectional operation of whiteness has the potential to shift paradigms, if there is will and courage. This presentation prompts us to ask: what might it look like to decenter whiteness in our scholarship, pedagogy, institutional governance, and broader intellectual praxis - including in our budgets, our curricula, our disciplinary genealogies, our interactions with students, and our relationships with each other as colleagues?

Co-sponsored by: UMN Race, Indigeneity, Gender & Sexuality Studies

This event is part of the ICGC Alumni Lecture Series, which highlights the current work of distinguished ICGC alumni.
https://icgc.umn.edu/events/4972/elepha ... -whiteness

So WHITE DEVILS [Deleted - Personal shots] take note! We're on to you! :roll:
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Racism is alive and well...

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

You love to make fun of people
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

You have the balls to post this wearing that avatar? Scumbag.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

NS, you claim you're part Native American. Well, maybe you should change your appearance and apply a little makeup so that you appear as a full-blooded Native American. Being a watered down "part" won't cut it. Do the same thing that the author of the well known older book, "Black Like Me" did back in the Civil Rights days and then go out and live on any reservation located anywhere in this country right alongside the people who have to live there. Maybe then, you'd get some perspective for what it's really like to live in this country as an oppressed minority. Who knows? Perhaps you might gain a little sense of shame and humility.

EDIT:

It's looks like that Unabomber wannabe in Austin Texas may have racist motives behind his attacks as well. 2 of the people he killed were black and active in Austin's African American Cultural Heritage District. The other victim was a Hispanic. The entire neighborhood is a mostly minority-owned area as well. If they ever find the bastard and it turns out that person is a white male NS, what say you then?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/austin-tex ... -1.4575095
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

You are something else.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Tunnelcat wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:45 am NS, you claim you're part Native American. Well, maybe you should change your appearance and apply a little makeup so that you appear as a full-blooded Native American. Being a watered down "part" won't cut it. Do the same thing that the author of the well known older book, "Black Like Me" did back in the Civil Rights days and then go out and live on any reservation located anywhere in this country right alongside the people who have to live there. Maybe then, you'd get some perspective for what it's really like to live in this country as an oppressed minority. Who knows? Perhaps you might gain a little sense of shame and humility.
Oh I have felt racism in person, TC. Within my very own family in fact.

The offenders? "Ironically" (which in this case, I'm learning isn't so ironic) they were the "white" liberal EDUCATORS (teachers- one of which eventually became an HS principal) in my family... That's right- the lefties in my own family often brought up how it must be strange to be able to tan, rubbing my skin with their fingers as if I was a space alien. My cheekbones were higher...etc etc. At the time, I was a little kid that didn't know WTF they were talking about so I shrugged it off.

These were "yellow dog" democrats on the European white side of my family. They railed against Reagan as I was growing up...etc- dyed in the wool democrats...and they were racist as hell. My aunt for instance, wouldn't let me into her house and made me sit in the car outside while waiting for my father.

The least racist? Other people that also happened to be WHITE in my family...and they were "conservative" Christians. They saw me AS A PERSON, not as some mongrel mix of identity politics.
Tunnelcat wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:45 am
EDIT:

It's looks like that Unabomber wannabe in Austin Texas may have racist motives behind his attacks as well. 2 of the people he killed were black and active in Austin's African American Cultural Heritage District. The other victim was a Hispanic. The entire neighborhood is a mostly minority-owned area as well. If they ever find the bastard and it turns out that person is a white male NS, what say you then?

I dunno TC. You're white. Does that make you a suspect too?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Nightshade wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:32 am
Tunnelcat wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:45 am NS, you claim you're part Native American. Well, maybe you should change your appearance and apply a little makeup so that you appear as a full-blooded Native American. Being a watered down "part" won't cut it. Do the same thing that the author of the well known older book, "Black Like Me" did back in the Civil Rights days and then go out and live on any reservation located anywhere in this country right alongside the people who have to live there. Maybe then, you'd get some perspective for what it's really like to live in this country as an oppressed minority. Who knows? Perhaps you might gain a little sense of shame and humility.
Oh I have felt racism in person, TC. Within my very own family in fact.

The offenders? "Ironically" (which in this case, I'm learning isn't so ironic) they were the "white" liberal EDUCATORS (teachers- one of which eventually became an HS principal) in my family... That's right- the lefties in my own family often brought up how it must be strange to be able to tan, rubbing my skin with their fingers as if I was a space alien. My cheekbones were higher...etc etc. At the time, I was a little kid that didn't know WTF they were talking about so I shrugged it off.

These were "yellow dog" democrats on the European white side of my family. They railed against Reagan as I was growing up...etc- dyed in the wool democrats...and they were racist as hell. My aunt for instance, wouldn't let me into her house and made me sit in the car outside while waiting for my father.

The least racist? Other people that also happened to be WHITE in my family...and they were "conservative" Christians. They saw me AS A PERSON, not as some mongrel mix of identity politics.
You must've had a strange family, because the racists and anti-Semites in my family were the conservative ones. My parents were very liberal and never said anything racist that I can remember. My dad was a lawyer and worked all the time with Jewish and Catholic partners without a problem. He even had a black secretary in the office who stayed on for years because she was reliable and they liked her work so much. Everyone in his office was one big close family. My mother was a dedicated Democrat and even worked on Robert Kennedy's campaign in Oregon. She was devastated when he was assassinated. It was my more conservative aunts and grandparents on my mother's side who were the racist prigs. My grandfather was an outright racist and made no bones about it. He was also conservative in his attitudes and his voting, despite being blue collar and uneducated himself. He was an unpleasant man to be around. That happens when someone gets bitter and resentful in life.

My 2 nosy aunts on that side of the family at first thought my future husband was Jewish, all because of his last name. The way they asked him probing questions led him and I to believe that they were not in approval of what they thought was his religion. With more tact than I could muster, he told them that his last name's spelling was the German variant and not the Jewish variant. Suddenly, they became all nicey nice and approving. The whole interaction was insulting and really ticked me off. Biatches.

As for school, I never got a sense of racist or antisemitic motives from any of my teachers or administrators throughout my entire K through 12 education and that was while the Civil Rights movement was going on back then. It was in the news so much and it was such a dramatic upheaval in our society that it was part of the teaching curriculum, and not in a negative way either. That's why I referenced the book "Black Like Me", because it was required reading in HS. Maybe my educators were more enlightened than yours. However, a few mostly male conservative teachers never held back about their distaste for the Vietnam War protestors.

Also, being able to tan easily does not make a person automatically Native American. I tan very evenly and easily all over into a nice bronze. I'm also of British and German decent, at least as far as I know from what's been passed down through family history. My husband does not tan in the normal sense at all. The only thing that happens is that his freckles grow larger. It's pretty damn strange looking too. He gets huge freckles all over and sunburned bright red in between after being out in the sun too much. He's also has German, British and Swedish ancestors, so he's as white European as they come. So how well someone "tans" is not a good indicator of who their decedents were. Plus, having high cheekbones can also indicate that you have ancestors from Central and Eastern Europe, as well as Native American ancestry. A better indicator is how easily you gain weight. :wink:
Nightshade wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:32 am
Tunnelcat wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:45 am
EDIT:

I dunno TC. You're white. Does that make you a suspect too?
I'm not even to grace you with an answer to that idiotic question. I'll let the police figure it out before the bastard kills someone else. I'm willing to bet the perp is a white guy, only because this is the new normal in the hateful day and age of Trump and for no other reason. Maybe you've caught the sickness since you seem so preoccupied by anything having to do with race these days.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... 6-election
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Tunnelcat wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:22 pm I'm not even to grace you with an answer to that idiotic question. I'll let the police figure it out before the bastard kills someone else. I'm willing to bet the perp is a white guy, only because this is the new normal in the hateful day and age of Trump and for no other reason. Maybe you've caught the sickness since you seem so preoccupied by anything having to do with race these days.
No...this "new normal" is from the escalation of the post-modernist cancer that has been spreading out from the universities...into media and leftist Hollywood.

They are creating more monsters with identity politics...fertile ground for neo-fascists while trampling the 1st and 2nd amendments.

They WANT civil war. They WANT the destruction of the republic.

They would happily dance on the grave of the great American experiment- and perhaps the graves of millions- just as Stalin's Russia and Mao's China did before them.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Nightshade wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:38 pmspreading out from the universities...into media and leftist Hollywood.
Why desn't the right wing make their own universities and entertainment hubs?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Maybe because they're largely drooling, knuckle-dragging troglodytes?

And TB, just because your family was totally fucked-up doesn't excuse you in the least.
callmeslick
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by callmeslick »

Nightshade wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:38 pm No...this "new normal" is from the escalation of the post-modernist cancer that has been spreading out from the universities...into media and leftist Hollywood.
ummmm, the post-modernism period of modern culture occurred about 20 years ago.
They are creating more monsters with identity politics...fertile ground for neo-fascists while trampling the 1st and 2nd amendments.

They would happily dance on the grave of the great American experiment- and perhaps the graves of millions- just as Stalin's Russia and Mao's China did before them.
this collection of verbiage has to be the most poorly informed thing I've read so far today. It's the right wingnuts calling for Civil War, actively formenting fascism(you do it, here, routinely),
and it's the 'left'(actually anyone sane and not extreme rightist)that are going to be the salvation of the Republic, if there indeed can be one. I am tickled pink with what I'm seeing from young people, may they stay engaged. The comparisons with Mao and Stalin show how completely out of touch you are, NS. There is literally ZERO comparison in philosophy, view towards fellow man and ideology to be shown. NONE.
"The Party told you to reject all evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell---"1984"
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Nightshade wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:38 pm
Tunnelcat wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:22 pm I'm not even to grace you with an answer to that idiotic question. I'll let the police figure it out before the bastard kills someone else. I'm willing to bet the perp is a white guy, only because this is the new normal in the hateful day and age of Trump and for no other reason. Maybe you've caught the sickness since you seem so preoccupied by anything having to do with race these days.
No...this "new normal" is from the escalation of the post-modernist cancer that has been spreading out from the universities...into media and leftist Hollywood.

More of that projection again. The left no more wants civil war than anyone else in the U.S., with the exception of the fascist and extremists right wing nuts currently foaming at the mouth. We love our country as much as any conservative, but the constant vilification of the left is unproductive and hateful. We're human beings and members of this nation too. We deserve a place, whether you like it or not and despite all the nastiness, we're not going away. We happen to believe that the man currently running this nation's government is deliberately fomenting dissent among the members of his own staff, including those in every agency of the government, for the sole purpose of creating more and more conflict, because the bastard LOVES conflict and he manages the presidency with that style. He's doing that with his base as well at all his rallies, stirring the pot with his foul rhetoric and name calling just to sow chaos and bitterness among the people he enthralls. As part of that conflict, he keeps picking at America's long weeping racist scab so that it never heals. You yourself constantly exude irrational bitterness in this area with no basis in reality at all. THAT'S what's going to destroy our republic, a leader and his followers who love to see people fight it out for a "my way or the highway" solution instead of working together to solve our problems.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/06/opinions ... index.html