You need to play this set

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

You need to play this set

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

Just play it to see what I mean
Its absolutely brilliant IMO
http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=1561
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: You need to play this set

Post by Sirius »

Yeah that was what I chose for this past Saturday's Rangers co-op thingy... it's a pretty solid D1 set. Takes about an hour and a half to finish which works well for a single session.
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

Yeah especially the music, I absolutely loved the remixes
It's that good I played it twice already
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Oooh, most of those were mine.
A couple were from Descent PSX.

It took Parabol and I quite a while to get them actually to work.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I'll give it a shot too, because why not :D

It says "Cererian", and the color scheme from the screenshot looks a lot like the one I chose for my Ceres level too. Great minds think alike I guess :P
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Ironically the Ceres level doesn't have a smidgen of green.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

It reminds me of the moon levels but darker and with those industrial looking doors (which i think is a thing to have those on a last level of a d1 set)
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Played the first two levels of this.

Gotta say it's pretty amazing. Dunno, there's just something that good ol' Descent gives me that I can't find with D2, even though it's supposed to be bigger and better. Perhaps I just respond better to those older textures that feel just right. This pack is full of them and has great influences in regards to texturing overall. The geometry is very facility-like and no-nonsense too, something kinda like a more matured Stroodles with a dash of homeyduh. The difficulty also curves really nicely, I actually died on Insane in level 2, though I did expect leisurely resistance so I played kinda below par. I dunno, this set probably wouldn't look and work so good in Descent 2, even though it could technically be ported to 2 easily with almost no lossiness bar the exit sequences (seriously, when are we getting those in D2 rebirth?)

I think I'll play through the rest, as these levels really are a marvel to behold.
taterboat94
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by taterboat94 »

I just finished playing through it last night on Hotshot (cold starting every level), and I really like it! Plenty of cool ideas with a lot of inspiration from the original campaign, and the music remixes were great. I especially liked the Level 14 remix. As far as difficulty goes, this mission did a good job of keeping me on my toes. Levels are filled to the brim with robots, and there are a few particularly nasty areas scattered throughout (i.e. the yellow area of Level 3 and the blue area of Level 4). Level 6 was also a real doozy at first. It took me a couple of tries to figure out a good way to deal with those matcens in the main room, and since I was only aware of a couple of invulnerabilities at the time, the boss was very tough to handle. After learning more of the level's secrets, though, I was able to finish it without dying. Really cool level overall, and a good one to wrap up a mission.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Played through level 4 too and I gotta say this is the single most reminescent of D1 mission I've played. It just nails that campaign's feel to the slightest detail. There are all those wicked mazes that we loved to hate in D1, but I've only now realized how badly they were missing from D2. It's in those mazes that you could experience the full extent of Descent's pulse-pounding terror. A single red hulk would be enough to completely ruin your day. I also loved the little touch from level 3 where lifters actually broke into a hostage cell and shredded the hostages, just like their briefing text would let us know they liked doing. Who thinks about such details? This is pretty amazing. I'm going to play through the rest of course, but I already know I want a maze like that in one of the solar levels of D1,5, there's no way around it!

EDIT: Ok, finished it, with cheats of course (I was curious just what kinds of stuff this mission has in it). So yeah, it overall has very strong vibes of mid-late First Strike, encapsulating everything that was memorable, addictive and great about that mission, but better than it in every aspect, sacrificing nothing. Level 6 was probably the best symmetric level I've ever played (sorry Luke Schneider!), and I love how most of it was nothing but gray - kinda like I envisioned the final level of D1,5 too. All in all, I'd really love for the designer of this mission to make a Solar System level for me, or even two. Wonder if he's reachable around here :P
AlexanderBorisov
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by AlexanderBorisov »

Tried first two levels and yes it was really awesome mission. Wonder whether it is doable Insane no death no save, L3 and some others contain a lot of red hulks that can only be corner sniped IMO... Will continue with it a bit later.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Holy crap, I just played level one and it got my heart rate up. There's a robot in, like, every third cube. The music is kick ass. Can you tell me more about the music? Is it General MIDI or are there sound files bundled in the HOG? I'm thinking the later since the HOG file is hugeness. How were they produced? I would like to try making tracks in this style for D1.5.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

The music for the first and fourth level are from the descent PSX soundtrack. The other four levels use various remixes I made over the years.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Just finished. it was "NICE". I didn't find the secret level, maybe I will some day. Although, the levels were a little too large for my tastes which makes exploring for secrets tedious. Some really good geometry/lighting/texture choices, and the pacing was really good in most parts. I'm adding this mission to my list of favorites. Amazing it was done in such a short time.

9/10
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I know the Secret level was definitely an interesting mingling of D1 and D2 secret level styles. I might try its style on my next D1 endeavor.

Hint: It's on the same level as the alternate exit in Orion Nebula Project.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

LightWolf wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:53 pmHint: It's on the same level as the alternate exit in Orion Nebula Project.
I don't know if I ever found that one. However, I did find the secret level in Cererian Expedition about an hour after my last post. I decided to play through again and was like "oh yeah, here's that door I didn't find a trigger for..."
LightWolf wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:53 pmI know the Secret level was definitely an interesting mingling of D1 and D2 secret level styles. I might try its style on my next D1 endeavor.
Agreed, it's a nice mix and is a pleasant change of pace. I got tricked first time I blew the reactor thinking I found a way to get the Fusion cannon. Nope! Eventually found it though. Fun stuff.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Xfing wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:05 pm All in all, I'd really love for the designer of this mission to make a Solar System level for me, or even two. Wonder if he's reachable around here :P
You remember when I offered to stream a couple D1.5 levels to generate interest?
Parabolicus was the designer I wanted to generate interest from. I'd seen what he was doing and it was all really to be aimed at him. :P

I guess I told you so. :D
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Alter-Fox wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:48 pm
Xfing wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:05 pm All in all, I'd really love for the designer of this mission to make a Solar System level for me, or even two. Wonder if he's reachable around here :P
You remember when I offered to stream a couple D1.5 levels to generate interest?
Parabolicus was the designer I wanted to generate interest from. I'd seen what he was doing and it was all really to be aimed at him. :P

I guess I told you so. :D
We could just ask him directly, you know :P

At any rate, my Enceladus level was directly inspired by this mission as well :D
mystery2018
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mystery2018 »

Level 4 is a masterpiece in difficulty. Maybe I just suck, but I’m also addicted to trying to finish this one.
'Whole strength, have ye, Oh bounteous ones; perfect, earth-shakers, is your might|Marutas, against the poet's wrathful enemy send ye an enemy like a dart.

Rigveda 1:39.10