Another political/social axis test...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Another political/social axis test...

Post by Nightshade »

It has its flaws with questions (as many answers to these questions would be more nuanced and multifaceted than just levels of agreement), but it was interesting to take.

Here are my results:

You can take the "test" yourself here: https://8values.github.io/
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Another political/social axis test...

Post by TheWhat »

Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 7.46.04 AM.png
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

This is no surprise to me.
Attachments
8v.png
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

canvas.png
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

canvas.png
si vis pacem, para bellum
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

No surprise for me, social liberal. Like NS commented on, I do think some of the questions needed more nuanced answers and substance than the basic agree or disagree selections we were given. There were some that I answered neutrally for lack of a better response.

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

I think each one should have a second axis. One of them is actually half an axis. I'm actually an individualist with some nationalistic/globalistic values. I am 100% in Authority but only if the king is Christ, so I'm off that axis completely. :) I am simultaneously 100% in tradition and less than 100% in tradition and the same for "progress" but only if that progress serves mankind as a whole and as individuals and not just the ruling elite. My view of science and technology fits the book of Ecclesiastes pretty much. That means that all the technology we have today is pretty much re-arranged versions of the same thing, a hidden super device that would make most things obsolete.

I'd also like to mention that globalization isn't real peace. There is no peace until the Prince of Peace steps down here and makes the earth quake at His presence. ^_^

My results:

--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

I ranked as "patriotic" on the scale mostly because I am highly skeptical of "world bodies" based on evidence of their corrupt self-interest or worse.

They give equal footing and "respect" to absolute tyrannies like Saudi Arabia, the gulf states, North Korea and Iran and give them say in matters of human rights when clearly these tyrannies have no standing or interest in even basic human rights.

The UN is feared by those it is supposed to protect. There are many recorded instances of "UN forces" raping and exploiting people in Africa and having little interest in actually protecting anyone.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Nightshade wrote:I am highly skeptical of "world bodies" based on evidence of their corrupt self-interest or worse.
Exactly how we like our institutions.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Vander wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:22 am
Nightshade wrote:I am highly skeptical of "world bodies" based on evidence of their corrupt self-interest or worse.
Exactly how we like our institutions.
We can vote in or out our elected officials. We, as citizens, cannot do the same with world bodies like the UN.

I concede that the employees of our government should also somehow be held more accountable to the people (as in being able to fire them if they're abusive or corrupt.) This is also why I want SMALLER GOVERNMENT. ;)
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Nightshade wrote:We, as citizens, cannot do the same with world bodies like the UN.
Do you mean you and I don't get to vote for who Iran sends to the UN? Or that Iranians don't get to vote for who Iran sends to the UN? Or that you and I don't get to vote for whether or not Iran gets to be in the UN? Or that if people in the US voted to leave the UN, the UN could still exist, just without the US?
Nightshade wrote:This is also why I want SMALLER GOVERNMENT.
Meh. Smaller government might have been something to seek when we were a more independent agrarian society, but now it just means the privatization of the common good. Giving up determination and representation to be a renter to some investment bank d!ckhead.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Vander wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:20 pm Do you mean you and I don't get to vote for who Iran sends to the UN? Or that Iranians don't get to vote for who Iran sends to the UN? Or that you and I don't get to vote for whether or not Iran gets to be in the UN? Or that if people in the US voted to leave the UN, the UN could still exist, just without the US?
The UN puts the greatest human rights destroyers in charge of human rights within the UN.

It's like hiring a convicted child molester to babysit your kids.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Nightshade wrote: I concede that the employees of our government should also somehow be held more accountable to the people (as in being able to fire them if they're abusive or corrupt.) This is also why I want SMALLER GOVERNMENT. ;)
There are too many lazy people who don't want to get involved :/
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Nightshade wrote:The UN puts the greatest human rights destroyers in charge of human rights within the UN.

It's like hiring a convicted child molester to babysit your kids.
Changing the figurehead doesn't change the bureaucracy beneath. There are thousands of people within the structure doing good work with the limited authority and resources provided. Work that wouldn't be getting done otherwise because there's no short term business incentive to expend resources for it.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Vander wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:27 am
Changing the figurehead doesn't change the bureaucracy beneath. There are thousands of people within the structure doing good work with the limited authority and resources provided. Work that wouldn't be getting done otherwise because there's no short term business incentive to expend resources for it.
Good work like this I suppose:

The 'good work' in Libya (for instance) isn't working out well. The "UN backed" government is infighting in a continued failed state.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Keep being a good drone and attacking everything and anything else in a desperate attempt to deflect attention away from your own dumpster fire of a party.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Krom wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:59 pm Keep being a good drone and attacking everything and anything else in a desperate attempt to deflect attention away from your own dumpster fire of a party.
"My party?" I don't follow a party blindly like a number of people here I know. I always question and I'm always a skeptic. Skepticism is a healthy thing.

"Faith" is for theists and blind zealots. Faith is the ultimate delusion.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Nightshade wrote:Good work like this I suppose:
That's about as thoughtful as saying education is bad because there are school shootings.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Nightshade wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:47 pmThe 'good work' in Libya (for instance) isn't working out well. The "UN backed" government is infighting in a continued failed state.
Uh, the U.S. is still sending airstrikes into Libya, so it's not just the U.N. You may also want to ask about U.S. "peace" efforts in Afghanistan, Yemen and Syria. :wink:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Tunnelcat wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:05 pm Uh, the U.S. is still sending airstrikes into Libya, so it's not just the U.N. You may also want to ask about U.S. "peace" efforts in Afghanistan, Yemen and Syria. :wink:
Yes I know. We should be out of those places- particularly Yemen. That's a Saudi project against Iran really. We have no business there, Syria or Libya. Afghanistan is the only place we should have any activity- and even that should have been wound down.

Syria/Libya are part of the failed Obama "arab spring" fiasco that has cost thousands of lives. We now have two failed states in the middle east that didn't exist before thanks to Obama.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Wonder of wonders, The WAPO pretty much agrees with you. But according to Trump, if WAPO prints it, it must be "fake news". So that means it's NOT really Obama's fault in Trumpland. :wink:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html