Pumo Mines lives!... (¬°_°)¬

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Pumo Mines lives!... (¬°_°)¬

Post by Pumo »

-.!IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!.-

Hello everyone, Pumo here. :)
Ok, so... I think it's time to get things clear about the current state of Pumo Mines - Kartsal Motivation project.
I know D2X-XL is mostly (and sadly) a dead project now, and many don't even use it anymore, and Overload is the new kid in town, but still, Pumo Mines is and will always be my Descent dream project and want to see it done.
So, this year I'm resuming the work on the project, but some things must change in the way they will be made.

First of all:
I will focus on all unfinished levels, with just small changes to already made and complete levels.
This means there will be some inconsintency, mainly on the door frame designs (Levels 1 to 5 didn't had a 3d shell around the doors, but starting on level 6 they do. However, and at least for now, it's too much of a hassle to add those 3d shells to already made level structures).

Another thing that Pumo Mines won't have for now, are complex 3d pre-rendered movies.
I know the 3-level demo had a couple of movies, but again, if I want to focus on the campaign design, I won't be able to get the time to made those. However, there will be scripted exit sequences and effects on some levels (using accelerator triggers and stuff).

About 3D Models, I managed on previous years to finish the design of 3D models for the weapons (thanks to Metalbeast!), but many scenery props and level assets won't be made by me, will be used from royalty-free 3D assets that are (or were) available on the web (like SolCommand, Nobiax, etc)

And finally, but not least important, I will try to release a new playable version with some of the new levels as soon as possible, but you may encounter some issues with it, as I prefer to add updates and patches to it than keeping it unpublished for years (I will also made a poll, to see how do you prefer the new Pumo Mines versions to be published).

I hope you may understand, I've been struggling with some real life issues and health problems since some years, and making such a mod is very demanding for just one person, but I really want to see my project fullfilled, so these changes are a must (and I think they will be for the better).

Thanks for reading and for your support! See you in the PMC mines, take care and beware of the Hosako Empire! :D

PS. I'm also working on a simpler Descent project that you may see released soon, and it's related to the Pumo Mines universe ;)

-Some screenshots of Pumo Mines as it's now:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: Pumo Mines lives!... (¬°_°)¬

Post by Alter-Fox »

Probably a fairly good idea to take out the movies-- the download size is going to be massive already.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Looking forward to seeing how you use my pieces I loaned you.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Once Pumo Mines is fully alive, will we finally get a long-awaited Pumo Mines live show?
:P
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

I don't know if there will be a live show, lol
But in the meantime, take a look at the new texturing!

I finished most global textures, and also finished the per-level ones of levels 1 to 5.
Here you can see how it looks (screenshots of levels 4 and 5 are at the bottom of the picture) :)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Game barely looks like descent 2 anymore :P
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

Xfing wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:51 am Game barely looks like descent 2 anymore :P
Looks more like descent 3 now without the buggy mess.
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

So here are more news about Pumo Mines.
Now it will be divided in three episodes. Each episode can be accessed from an initial hub level.
Each time you end an episode, you return to the hub but with locked entrances, so you'll need to exit to the main menu and start a new game to select another episode completely fresh as in a cold-start (no gathered weapons and powerups).
Thanks to Alter-Fox and LightWolf for helping me with the hub ideas and work.

The three episodes will be Mineral Valley (an 'origins' story), Kartsal Motivation (the one most are familiar with) and Muchikuche (16-year later story).
Everything is part of the same campaign/mod, but will use D2X-XL features to make the episodes work.

Work on first and second episodes is going pretty well, have been steadily progressing as of lately.

So here are some scenes of episode 1 (Mineral Valley):

And the entrance to one of the levels of third episode:

The soundtracks to the Mineral Valley and Muchikuche levels has also been published on my Bandcamp website, if you want to check them out: http://ramland.bandcamp.com/

Hope you will be liking the new updates! :)
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Pumo wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:42 pmThe soundtracks to the Mineral Valley and Muchikuche levels has also been published on my Bandcamp website, if you want to check them out: http://ramland.bandcamp.com/
Really dig a few tracks, especially "Midnight Star" and "Plot". I've bookmarked your page and I'll try to make some time to meander through your other albums.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

That hub is just like in Quake! Nice retro gaming idea.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Indeed, it's pretty similar to Quake's hub!

And thanks Vision, I'm glad to know that you're enjoying some of my songs, it's very much appreciated. :)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Hey, come to think of it... what are you thinking the hub is going to have for music? As far as I can tell you haven't got anything for it on any of the three releases.
TRUEpiiiicness
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

Alter-Fox wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:02 pm Hey, come to think of it... what are you thinking the hub is going to have for music?
Using some music that you would use for a main menu could be good as the hub is essentially the main menu of pumo mines.
Currently working on Descent: The Countdown Level 22 (Ogep'rgs) (Geometry)
Descent: The Countdown
Normal levels done 21/27
Secret levels done 2/3
Next level to be done: Level 23 (IO Sulphur Refinery)
The grand collection (Only after Descent: The Countdown)
??? ?/?
??? ?/?
Note
Any levels I make are free to use (even redesign) and include in any mission set. Just pm me if you going to do so.

Descent levels be like
Ah yes
Enslaved squares
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

True, true... but, since there's not really any gameplay going on in the hub it's also a chance to use something maybe a bit more ambient.
What about taking the background pads and chords from a song like, say, Surviving, soloing them and turning the tempo down?
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Oh, there's already a song for the hub! But it's pretty ambient-ish.
It's a remix of Alone. Will see if I upload it later.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Keep on keeping on! I'm also curious to see this thing out someday :D
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

My brother has finally got himself a decent PC and he seems keen to try the old 3-level demo... I'm gonna see if I can help him get D2X-XL set up with it sometime soon.
I might give it another run-through myself, I think the last time I played it was back on my old laptop. Would be nice to see it on a bigger screen while I wait for the rest. ;)
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Ok, so I got some good news to share.

First of all and specially after the long hiatus I had on previous years, I think that talking about all the people that has helped me in the past and now (be either with levels, 3D models or any other asset) is the least I can do until the next official release of Pumo Mines, specially since some great and very friendly level authors have contributed to the project in some way or another (including Kruel, Kyouryuu, Wolfie and many others).

So I wrote in my blog a detailed entry (with credits) about all of the assets and contributions I got (or got permission to use) for Pumo Mines, in case you want to check it out:
https://pumosoft.dualcity.com.mx/who-is ... umo-mines/

I'm very grateful to each one of my friends from the Descent community!
-

Now, on something completely different ( :P ), I want to announce that I'm working on the last level of the first episode of Pumo Mines and it's almost finished!
As soon as I finish the shell I will start adding all objects to all of the Mineral Valley levels and will start planning the briefing stuff.
So although I'm not saying that it will be released very soon, I'm positive that you'll finally get a new Pumo Mines release with the full first episode on the next months! :D :mrgreen:

After almost ten years I think it will happen. :E :E
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...is that too much?

No I don't think it is.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Is my Azaran Zodiark going to be used at al in this first episode?
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

It will be featured as the last level of Kartsal Motivation (that is, the second episode), as can be seen with detailed info in the blog entry on my new website. :)
https://pumosoft.dualcity.com.mx/who-is ... umo-mines/
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

sooo....not at all in this coming release of episode 1... :|

Ah well, was some of my best work, but guess it'll have to wait another decade then. :P
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Hopefully it won't be that much! :oops:
I think I won't make the stupid mistake to put the project on 'hiatus' again. :P

First episode is very close to be done, and just after releasing it I will immediately work on Episode 2 (exactly on level 12, where I left it off).