Upgrading Descent 2 v1.1 to v1.2

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

mystery2018
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Upgrading Descent 2 v1.1 to v1.2

Post by mystery2018 »

Hello all,

I downloaded descent 2 version 1.1 from Gog and I am using D2X-Rebirth in order to play it. Everything mostly runs fine except a few missions from the database that require version 1.2. Is upgrading possible without re downloading everything? Any rudimentary advice is helpful.
'Whole strength, have ye, Oh bounteous ones; perfect, earth-shakers, is your might|Marutas, against the poet's wrathful enemy send ye an enemy like a dart.

Rigveda 1:39.10
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Upgrading Descent 2 v1.1 to v1.2

Post by Krom »

Theoretically you could run the 1.1 to 1.2 patch exe in dosbox and it would fix it up. Probably a better idea would be to just download/install the vertigo mission set over the top of the existing installation since it should automatically replace the data files with v1.2.
mystery2018
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mystery2018 »

Hi and thanks for replying. I probably should have given more information but I figured I had narrowed the issue down to the question of version. I am trying to play The Enemy Within and another set that uses robots from TEW. However TEW always crashes on level 1 as soon as I approach the first robot. I take that to mean that TEW requres v1.2 as it says in the readme. I suppose my questions are one of order of operations. Namely do you have to patch the game files before copying over to rebirth? Also is there anything to use as a sort of confirmation that the patch has worked?
'Whole strength, have ye, Oh bounteous ones; perfect, earth-shakers, is your might|Marutas, against the poet's wrathful enemy send ye an enemy like a dart.

Arne
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arne »

The Enemy Within doesn't seem to work with the latest Rebirth, but should work with D2X-Rebirth 0.58.1
mystery2018
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mystery2018 »

Hey Arne, thanks for that reply that did the trick. You are a gentleman and a scholar have a happy New Year!

mystery2018
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mystery2018 »

I've encountered another game stopping robot related error in level 7 right after the blue door. Could this be related? Can I go back another version to fix? Or something else?

Arne
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Arne »

You are using D2X-Rebirth 0.58.1 on Windows, playing The Enemy Within level 7 and when you enter the blue door you get an error / crash?

This seems to work for me. Do you have an error message?
mystery2018
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by mystery2018 »

Something apparently had happened to my computer and I had to start it from a restore point some time ago. After redownloading Rebirth 0.58 and the mission the crashes have stopped. Seems to work fine now thanks anyway. I’ll try to finish this level set before something else happens lol.