Copy to usb flash drive no worky

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Copy to usb flash drive no worky

Post by woodchip »

So my mb crapped out and needed to replace it. I then find out it (aesus prime h370) will only operate with win 10 (what ever happened to being backward compatible?). I have only win 7. So I went to micrbandits website and download their win 10. No problemo, Now the problem is I'm trying to copy it to a flash drive and get message "not enough space on destination drive". WTF? I only need 4.5 gig and flash drive has 27 gig free. Any thoughts on how to get win 10 download transferred to my flashy?

Edit. Found answer (I think). Problem download was 64 bit format As that is what rebuild hd is. I then saw the flashy was 32 bit. Downloaded win 10 in in 32 bit and now is transferring. Next fun will be installing into rebuild comp. hd. Be prepared for my return here :)
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: Copy to usb flash drive no worky

Post by CDN_Merlin »

You just needed to format the USB stick to NTFS 4k chunks.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

If you install the 32 bit version of windows 10, you may not be able to run a lot of recent software/games which are increasingly 64 bit only and your system will be unable to use more than ~3 GB of memory (which is a pretty severe limitation these days).
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Can I not start the comp. with 32 bit and then change it to 64 bit? The hard drive is partitioned into a couple of drives with the c drive already at 64 bit ( can't remember if the other drives are also 64bit or some of them were left at 32 bit).
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Nope, its one or the other when you install it and then you're stuck with it.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

OK so we've come full circle. Both sticks I have only one choice and that is 32 bit. Do newer sticks have choice between 32 and 64 bit?

vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

32-bit usually refers to the CPU architecture. I don't think storage devices care about the processor's word size. I don't think you can use a 32-bit operating system to format a device with a 64-bit word space since the OS doesn't know what that is.

EDIT: USB storage is usually formatted as FAT32, which has more to do with how big a file can be. You can put a 64-bit version of Windows on a FAT32 drive. You can also format the USB drive as NTFS, which is what your harddrive is.

It's very confusing and easy to mix up since most of our technology is based on and described in terms of powers of 2.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

The limitation you are probably running in to is that you cannot store a file larger than 2 GB in FAT32.

But more importantly, if you are trying to copy a 4.5 GB file to the drive, this means you are probably trying to copy the base ISO image of the windows installer disk itself to the USB drive, which is totally the wrong way to do it.
See this article for a guide on how to create a bootable USB drive to install windows with:
https://thewincentral.com/how-to-create ... tion-tool/
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Then why can the 3gb+ version of what I'm downloading copy to the usb stick if it is size limited.

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

There are some unreliable hacks that allow up to 4 GB, probably the drive was originally formatted using them.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Bought then new and I'm not smart enough to hack them...which is why I come here. Going to best buy and get a new stick and see if they can format it to 64 bit

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Update. Had to disconnect hd from backup comp and install hd from rebuild one. got the usb to take the win 10 in bootable form with no problem. Might be old comp with win xp was the problem.