Analysis of Descent 2's difficulty styles

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Analysis of Descent 2's difficulty styles

Post by Alter-Fox »

I've been thinking about game design lately, and I got to thinking about what makes Descent 2 my favourite campaign in the original series, and realizing that part of that is because when I've played the game on high difficulty levels, each of the six planets presents its own variety of challenge around the base combat loop. Having thought about it a little, I'm actually fairly sure this was intentional on the part of the designers, because most of the time that specific challenge increases in specific ways across the four levels, and the system boss usually reflects it in some way.
So anyway, I'm interested what other people who've played through the game on Ace and Insane will think of this analysis. Or whether I'm completely wrong! :lol:
This is all also based around consecutive playthrough, not cold-starts. I don't think going the other way would change very much about this, but it might affect some of the specific examples.

Zeta Aquilae
The difficulty here is built around having to dodge large numbers of very different types of projectiles at the same time. As the system goes on, the number of enemies you face at one time increases, and the space you have to dodge starts to get a little tighter and more vertical. It culminates by introducing you to flash missiles and homing missiles, and then pitting you against a boss which uses both.

Quartzon
Extremely interconnected spaces with powerful roaming enemies that force you to watch your back. The water environment is designed to play into this, with waterfalls that aren't damaging but are loud, making it hard to detect enemies approaching you from places where you aren't looking. As it goes on you start to get ambushed by more dangerous enemies, while level traps and mine laying bots make strategic retreat more difficult. It culminates in a level where most of the interconnections are vertical instead of horizontal, and a boss that uses a low-visibility arena to lay mines and launch sneak attacks.

Brimspark
Medium to large spaces with enemies that force you to stay away from the walls. As it goes on the spaces get larger, homing missiles and swarm attacks become more frequent, and enemies start to use lava falls as strategic barriers that make them difficult to approach. It culminates with some of the largest spaces in the game and a boss whose mega missiles have a huge blast radius. The whole thing is kind of a warm up for Puuma Sphere.

Limefrost Spiral
Medium to tight spaces with a lot of verticality, many roaming and other powerful enemies, all of which often attack from above. As it goes on the levels get more and more vertical, and the roaming enemies get more powerful (though the others stay about the same), culminating in a level with some of the most vertical spaces in the game and a boss that can blind you and open you up to attack from all sides. Also the first part of the game where energy gets hard to find -- energy centers, when they exist at all, are fairly deep into the level and often in hard-to-reach places.

Baloris Prime
The hardest one to nail down, and one of the most interesting :) Tight, angular spaces and powerful enemies force you to use cover, but also to be careful about what cover you use, because many of the enemies can shoot you around corners, some will outright charge at you, and quite a few are cloaked. Lavafalls return, but now they're more often an environmental hazard that makes taking cover more difficult, and less often a strategic spot for enemies. Energy centers are easier to find but heavily guarded, and often not worth going for as a massive number of E-Bandits all over the place means you can lose it as quickly as you gain it. As it goes on the fights around energy become bigger and bigger, and it culminates with a boss that's only vulnerable to energy in a map where your only reliable source is at the center of one of the game's deadliest traps.

This is also, as far as I remember, the only point in the game where thief will usually show up at the end of the level, instead of the beginning. This gives you the option to ignore him and just go for the finish, but comes with the risk where if you do that he might take something vital from you during the countdown when you can't get it back.
And Baloris is also, if you just count by the sheer number of individually-dangerous bots attacking at once, where you get the biggest fights in the game. So it's got more stuff going on, but that stuff is still consistent.

Puuma Sphere
Very tight spaces with enemies that force you away from the walls. Any energy is very awkwardly placed, and very heavily guarded, when it exists at all. It doesn't change much as you go from 21 to 24, except for already-frequent homing missile attacks becoming even moreso, swarm attacks becoming more dangerous, and the amount of available energy fluctuating wildly up and down. Basically it's Brimspark 2.0, with less energy.
The final boss, though, doesn't really relate to the rest of the system in the same way the other five do.

Vertigo Series, again as far as I remember, uses some of these challenge "archetypes" sometimes, but doesn't progress them in the same way, and is just as likely to take a more D1ish difficulty style, mix several together, or invent an entirely new one. So if I were to go into Vertigo I'd have to take it level-by-level, and I'd want a chance to replay it first.
From memory, though, the one really big difference Vertigo seemed to have is that energy scarcity doesn't really enter into the equation outside of a few very specific situations.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Analysis of Descent 2's difficulty styles

Post by Xfing »

Not sure what I would say specifically about each system, but I watched a YouTube review of D1 and D2 today and the guy said that D2 is less broken and fairer on the player than D1, thanks to the lack of drillers and the nerf to homing missile shooters. I suppose one could agree with this assessment, if it weren't for the bosses, which are much harder than the ones from D1 because the powerup loadout is much less generous when you need it. And the final boss is extremely tricky, to the point where some people consider it unbeatable without the extra shakers from the secret level. I've proven it's possible to beat, but even then with tons and tons of practice a reliability of 35-40% is all you can count on - even harder in Maximum where you have even less shakers available.

I'm not sure if the roaming AI is as good or better than in D1, since there aren't really many places where that could be tested - a level like D1L9 would be needed for that, and that style of architecture wasn't really used all that much (if at all) in D2.

What probably wasn't a good decision is the shot-leading AI, something that rightly didn't make a return in Overload. For example on Insane, if lacking a hitscan weapon, it's almost impossible to win a dogfight against a Boarshead in an open area because of how well they dodge and how well they anticipate your future position. In D1 at the very least you could reliably circle-strafe pretty much anything, which still required SOME practice to do.

Then again, on the easier end is the nerf to the damage of concussion and homing missiles from robots. That was probably a fair change, since in D1 the damage was ridiculously high (in fact even higher than player missiles). In addition, D2 didn't even rely on robots shooting these missiles to a degree comparable to D1.

Lastly, the fusion nerf unfortunately killed the whole playstyle centered around Fusion and rapidly peeking from out of corners while charged up to take out a clump of robots in a single shot. Being able to actually do that in Counterstrike would definitely have affected many encounters.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

When I played D2 on insane, I remember the Quartzon maps had a fair amount of bot roaming-- not as much as something like D1 level 9, though, because it tended to be specific robot types that would move around.

But I'd definitely have to watch my back for ITSCs, modulae, and sometimes Seekers and Diamond Claws.
Aside from that, the roaming seemed to be more or less supplanted by the hit-and-run AI modes, which was probably meant to make mobile bots less frustrating to deal with.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The thing about roaming robots in D1 vs D2 is I never remember roaming robots scaring the $^%& out of me in D2 like they would do vary rarely in D1. I could play the entire D2 campaign at any skill level and never have a roaming robot ambush me into a jump scare like they would do usually once or twice in a D1 campaign.

Maybe it was because there were a lot more robots that moved through the level in D2 so it just makes you more accustomed to a dynamic environment unlike D1 where almost all of the time robots didn't move from their set locations so when one did show up out of place it really caught you off guard.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

If there was one thing from here that could be taken into account for the Descent 1 and a half project (and which we haven't more-or-less already) it would be deliberate energy scarcity and the different ways D2 used to achieve it.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Alter-Fox wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:08 am If there was one thing from here that could be taken into account for the Descent 1 and a half project (and which we haven't more-or-less already) it would be deliberate energy scarcity and the different ways D2 used to achieve it.
Yeah, that can definitely be taken into account. A level with zero energy centers is probably not needed, since there are other ways too (even as simple as an energy center being far away)
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Xfing wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:29 am What probably wasn't a good decision is the shot-leading AI, something that rightly didn't make a return in Overload.
I could swear I saw Mike Kulas talking about implementing exactly this. They may have tuned it to difficulty better, though.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I remember him showing a top-down demonstration with it off and then with it on... I think it must have been during the 24-hour kickstarter livestream.