Gaming Music

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Gaming Music

Post by Nosferatu »

A while back I tried to necro an old thread to try and get a music discussion going. :P

So instead I would like to start a new thread just to list out any tunes anyone has found themselves listening to recently.

Anything will do but (while gaming) is preferred.

Obviously the VERY first thing that springs to mind is ANYTHING from the Descent 2 sound track.
(That was just too awesome for its time)

I'll start off by listing 5 of my favorites to Q up while in a game.

The first of these kind of reminds me of music from a Descent level.

worldoffood
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Gaming Music

Post by worldoffood »

Cool idea!

I like literally all genres but mostly listen to extreme metal? Feels kinda like a rhythmic white noise in the sense you don't have to focus on it, but it still gets your adrenaline going. Great background.

I also really dig electronic stuff, that Overwerk song is very much my vibe too. I bet you would like Perturbator or The algorithm if you haven't heard of them.

If that's too much for you, (and believe me, I know it is for most people LOL) Post-Rock is my other go to. It's mostly instrumental so not distracting, but having some melody going on while doing other stuff is really nice.

Some hiphop is great, but not especially suited to gaming imo
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Cool, I listened to both of those. (Well only the 1 track on the first one) and they both would work great as background music in a game.

I like a lot of different stuff as well, (except for maybe MOST rap, not all)

I even like classical and there are a couple there that work well.

I also forgot to mention LeChampion of course :mrgreen:

For a rap exception

D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Alien »

Music has pretty much been my main hobby for decades now. The Descent 2 redbook was a major launching point. I love Perturbator. Here's a few others that would work as well.

And here's a other few varied tunes I've discovered or rediscovered in the past few years that may or may not work for gaming (I guess it depends on the type of game).

Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

All of those are pretty awesome. Your right, the first 6 sound like they were made to be game background music.

I think my favorite was Mind In A Box.

Although Below the Deep And Dreamless Sleep is a little too Guar for my tastes. Still pretty cool.

I finally was able to dig up an older one that I like a lot and depending on the game, it might fit to play it while beating on opponents.

Sasquatch Knuckle Down.

Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Even though it usually never goes well with video games, occasionally I like listening to country.

Here is one of my more recent favorite.
(Ya I know country is not exactly liked by everyone)

Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Another classical great for game background...

O Fortuna:
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I put together playlists for a couple old D2 missions I was playing/replaying recently.
This is one band I particularly like for Descent, even though as far as I know they've never played the game.

A couple of their songs that I used on those playlists:

And another one I haven't actually tried with the games yet, but certainly sounds Descent-y
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

OMG those 3 Julin-K tunes are just awesome.

First time I have heard of that group.

I definitely will have to use those as a gaming background now and again.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

WAY back when, Verran (Jonathan Vukovich) gave me a copy of some of his music. Dark Reflections, Core Decision, and some other stuff he had done.
I still listen to it to this very day. Good stuff!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yeah, I've got a bunch of his stuff. He's a pretty decent singer too :)
He did a couple midi soundtracks for mission packs back in the day.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Oh ya, how about some GOT epicness..

Short, but can easily be looped obviously.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Nice thread.

For in-game grinding, like in Morrowind, I highly recommend almost anything from the Mad Max Fury Road OST

It might not be good for all games, tho.
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

gabbagabbahey I cheated. ;-)

Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

How about Bon Jovi - Blaze of Glory
(A little defeatist but probably still good for a game background)

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Music is one thing I turn off as soon as I install a game. Never been into it while gaming. To much distraction from the sound. IN Descent, you can hear people opening doors etc so you know where they are.
Corsair Vengeance 64GB 2x32 6000 DDR5, Asus PRIME B760-PLUS S1700 ATX, Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt PS 80 Plus Gold,WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, WD Blue SN580 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, Noctua NH-D15S Universal CPU Cooler, Intel Core i7-14700K 5.6GHz, Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX, Asus GF RTX 4070 Ti Super ProArt OC 16GB Video, WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3, Windows 11
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I have a tough time playing games without some kind of music, 'cause all the sounds in the real world around me distract from the game and ruin the immersion. Plus, atmospheric locations are a lot more compelling when there's music with the same atmosphere.
In an abstract sort of world like Descent the atmosphere is the only thing the locations really have.

And if I'm for some reason in a multiplayer game, I can have music at a low level and still hear everything going on in the game.

When it comes to something like half-life where there isn't much music, I have to work a lot harder for that immersion and I'm always waiting for it to kick in. :)

The way I think of it is, in a virtual world I can see and hear what's happening; but I can't smell the world as it's decaying into dystopia or feel the cracked pavement I'm walking on. If my character describes how a tense situation gives him a stomach ache, that doesn't give me a stomach ache, and I don't want it to.
So the music needs to be a replacement for all those things.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I generally had the in-game music going for single player, but I always disabled it for multiplayer.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

How the heck have I forgotten the quintessential ACDC video game tune...

Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

A couple more while I am thinking about them.

I always liked GNRs version of Hair of The Dog.

Here is one I have been getting into lately

Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

The only gaming music I've ever really liked is from Need for Speed III. Here's a sample track: http://www.metallisoft.com/files/Boots/ ... t%2019.mp3. All other games, turning off the music is the first thing I do.

I remember liking D1's soundtrack, but honestly, it's been over 20 years since I've heard it!
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Testiculese wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:12 pm The only gaming music I've ever really liked is from Need for Speed III. Here's a sample track: http://www.metallisoft.com/files/Boots/ ... t%2019.mp3. All other games, turning off the music is the first thing I do.

I remember liking D1's soundtrack, but honestly, it's been over 20 years since I've heard it!
NFSU is the one I remember having good music,ranged from rock to punk to rap with a few "big name" artists thrown in. In general I game w/o music unless it's included though.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Testiculese wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:12 pm The only gaming music I've ever really liked is from Need for Speed III. Here's a sample track: http://www.metallisoft.com/files/Boots/ ... t%2019.mp3. All other games, turning off the music is the first thing I do.

Man that brings back memories to the days I spent playing NFSIII, used my sidewinder precision pro as the controller which worked pretty well actually. I could probably still drive a car with a joystick if I had to.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Well then you might appreciate the whole set:

http://www.metallisoft.com/downloads/El ... 20Arts.zip
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Testiculese wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:57 pm Well then you might appreciate the whole set:

Hell yes, thanks!
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Here is a blast from the past...

D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Alien »

I remember playing a ton of NFS 2 and 3. Probably the PC game back in the day I had played the most other than Descent and maybe Quest For Glory, possibly Age of Empires. This track in particular was really burned into my head, decades later.

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Testiculese wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:57 pm Well then you might appreciate the whole set:

So following up on this a while later, I remembered a few tracks that were missing from this archive. Well, knowing how to wring decent results out of an internet search engine sure is handy sometimes: https://krom.d3k.org/DBB/Need%20for%20S ... 20OSTs.zip

There are some duplicates and or alternate versions packed, but I think pretty much all of the original music should be in there between the three I found.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

I am forgetting a little bit of Pink Floyd...

Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Lately Ive been getting into this one from Dark Signal...

Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Thanks for that, Krom. I had this at some point way back. I'ven't gone through your zip, but I remember they weren't the same as the "live" tracks, like when playing the game. I made mine by running line out from my main rig to line in on my guest game rig, and went into the options, and selected each track, which played them as if it was in-game. I let a few tracks loop for a longer playtime, and did some merging of one track into another, which sounded better.

I'm going to see if I can rebuild from this set you provided, as I have re-re-encoded a few things, and would really like to rebuild them as a one-off encoding for higher fidelity.
Berzerk
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Berzerk »

I find myself listening to the sound tracks from Doom Eternal, Trine, and Crusader: No Regret quite often. I've got the rips of music from a couple thousand 90s era games, as well as from many modern games.
Most of the music I listen to while working is from some video game or another. Baten Kaitos also has a wonder soundtrack.
I AM the Black Plague!
https://reactortec.com/img/RC1.gif