Been doing some tweaking on my PC...

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Been doing some tweaking on my PC...

Post by Krom »

And I realized that if I turn the RGB on to green (which I normally always have off) my PC suddenly takes on a Star Trek Borg Cube like theme thanks to running all my tubing and wiring in black:

Yeah, I've been messing around with the cooler a bit since this EVGA RTX 3080 Ti throws so much heat. I used to just have a single 420 mm radiator in the top of the case, with the 3 radiator fans on push blowing out and 3 other case fans blowing in so pressure was about neutral. To help deal with the extra heat I added a second 280 mm radiator in the front, with the front case fans pushing air through, and one extra fan pulling on the inside which also aids cooling the HDDs down where I could fit it since the pump mount takes up the other spot. I also reversed the fans on the top radiator to pull through the radiator and into the case (through a dust filter I added to the top) and reversed the only remaining case fan to exhaust out the back. So the case is now significantly positive pressure with all intakes getting good dust filters, it managed to knock 3-4C off coolant load temps so it was actually pretty effective.

Now I just need to start working on under-volting this GPU to cut its ridiculous 380w power consumption a bit, I should actually be able to knock 80-100w off of it with basically no or very minimal performance loss because it is REALLY juiced to the maximum out of the box and doesn't actually need all that power.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: Been doing some tweaking on my PC...

Post by fliptw »

maybe I should ponder under-volting my 2070 super
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Krom what ATX do you have? I'm trying to find a case I like that comes with a couple of 3.5 HDD bays. So far the only one that comes close is the Corsair 4000D.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Its a Corsair Obsidian 750D, a slightly older model full tower. Note I have taken a dremel to mine and sawed out the 5.25" bays.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I might go with the 4000D then, unless something else comes along.

Thanks.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I just got my mitts on a ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti since prices have finally gotten closer to reality. I've got to go through the hassle of removing the drivers and old RTX 2070, which unfortunately is starting to show weird display issues, and installing this beast. Clean the case while I'm at it. It's quite heavy too, so it needs a support to keep it from bending the PCIe slot (air cooled, not liquid). Thankfully, when I built the system, I installed an EVGA 1300 watt power supply for just such an occasion. :mrgreen:
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Yeah, ETH did their big merge and now mining with GPUs is straight up not profitable anymore, so GPU miners quit sucking up all the available inventory so prices have been forced down by oversupply. Good riddance, I hope all the mining farms lose their lunch trying to sell the millions of cards they have which are very soon to be outdated.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

What's funny is demand is still high. The day after I bought mine, that card suddedly became unubtainium all over the place....again. I think I got Amazon's last stock.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

And the price just went back up by $50 as well. :roll:

I did something that solved an issue I had with my BIOS screen resolution not matching my monitor's. I disabled CSM in the BIOS and viola, now on my 2560X1440 monitor, the BIOS screen is no longer stretched and looks as it should. Go figure. I don't need no stinking Legacy support anymore anyway.