Black-ish Wizard of Oz

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Black-ish Wizard of Oz

Post by Ferno »

From the minds of your favourite communist anarchist thugs, we bring you: “Black-ish” creator Kenya Barris developing an LGBTQ-inclusive “Wizard of Oz” remake

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Black-ish Wizard of Oz

Post by Tunnelcat »

Oooh, the bigots will hate that. It'll be interesting. :P
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

I don't see why anyone should care or make a big deal out of it.

It's just like all of the pointless 'controversy' over the black Little Mermaid remake. Disney probably knew they were running out of ways to attract people to their soulless, money-grubbing, unoriginal live - action remakes, so they decided to just make Ariel black this time to deliberately trigger a bunch of racists and get everyone talking about it, which would result in more people seeing it than otherwise would have. And it worked exactly how they planned.

I don't know if the people behind this Wizard of Oz remake are going for the same thing... but I tend to suspect the worst of people. Although a big evil corporation like Disney is more apt to have these kinds of motives than an individual creator.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I can't wait to see the Munchkin gay orgy.

:lol:
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

I don’t really understand trying to remake a film classic. It’s a top 3: Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia. With all the goddamn technology and resources they still don’t make movies that groundbreaking. I live with a Wizard of Oz fanatic, the thing is on twice a month and I’m rather sick of it but it is untouchable.

Nothing is sacred I suppose!
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

There are a lot of movies out there like The Lost Boys, Flight of the Navigator to name a few that need to be left alone. Yet somehow, movies like Gremlins and Short Circuit still get overlooked. The ★■◆●ing Critters came back in 2019, and still no ★■◆●ing Gremlins.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Maybe it'll match up with Dark Side of the Moon better than The Wiz.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'm surprised no one's touched the Sound of Music.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Darth Wang wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:56 pm...to deliberately trigger a bunch of racists...
I don't believe this is intentional but a byproduct of Disney's international strategy. I've been pointing out to my friends that a lot of corporate decisions that appear to be "catering to wokeism" is much less about what Americans think and e everything about marketing products globally. This isn't leftist political correctness, it's pure globalism. Most of the world is black, brown, or Asian so it makes sense to make films that appeal to them. But don't worry, within the next 20 years technology will advance to the point it doesn't matter what skin color the actors have, each market will have AI makeovers that change the character's appearance to something region specific.
TheWhat wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:35 pmI don’t really understand trying to remake a film classic.
I learned to not get frustrated with this by remembering that stories become part of culture and change with culture. You see it a lot in Greco-Roman mythology. and I'm certain that stories of the gods changed along with the cultural emphasis of different regions. Sure, in the past a story would be told relatively the same for generations, but everything is moving fast today because so is our understanding of the world.

One of my favorite examples is actually the Godzilla franchise where Godzilla has a different meaning for every generations, and sometimes a completely new origin. In the original 1954 Godzilla, he was the byproduct of nuclear carelessness and was eventually defeated by the "oxygen destroyer". In the recent Netflix series, Godzilla is a 4-dimensional object defeated by the "orthogonal diagonalizer". In some stories, Godzilla is a unique mutant and in others he is part of a species. Personally, I like all of the stories!
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

vision wrote:I don't believe this is intentional but a byproduct of Disney's international strategy.
It's a fool's game trying to avoid reactions from reactionaries. They will be driven to lose their ★■◆●ing minds no matter what.