New desktop build and PCPartPicker.com

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

New desktop build and PCPartPicker.com

Post by Iceman »

I’m contemplating either buying a pre-built desktop or rolling my own. It’s been ten years since I’ve built one so my confidence is gone but I found PCPartPicker.com and started playing around with a new build. Anyone have experience with this site? Can I rely on the recommendations it makes? Maybe use the recommendations from that site as a starting point and get advice here?

Thanks in advance
Ice
Obsessed - A word lazy people use to describe the dedicated.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: New desktop build and PCPartPicker.com

Post by TigerRaptor »

Go with your own; do you really want to trust someone you don't know to build your machine? I built a new PC very recently, and believe me, my tech knowledge was very behind the times. My last system build was back in January of 2010.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

PC Part Picker is generally referenced as a good resource in the PC building communities I frequent. However it is usually recommended to fully research your chosen components with review sites and videos before making any final purchases, just use PCPP as tool to help get a build organized so you don't land in any obvious pitfalls that some people miss.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Well I took your advice and checked it all out. Pulled the trigger on this

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kWX6jZ

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($358.97 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *ASRock Z690 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($131.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *Silicon Power GAMING 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($68.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Silicon Power A60 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($949.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 5000D ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Enermax Revolution D.F. 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1902.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-11 20:00 EST-0500
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Seems reasonable, pretty much the whole build is previous generation parts but that definitely helps keep the price down for the whole tower.

Just out of curiosity, what type of display are you going to be driving with that?
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Krom wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:09 pm Seems reasonable, pretty much the whole build is previous generation parts but that definitely helps keep the price down for the whole tower.

Just out of curiosity, what type of display are you going to be driving with that?
I’ve got a pair of Samsung 32” Q60As
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Ah, good. If you were still on 1080p then I would say it was time to upgrade the monitor to a 1440p + high refresh screen at a minimum, but that setup should be okay for 4k/60 for a couple years.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I’ve been using a 2014 build, built it when the GeForce 980 GTX came out. That box did most of what I needed until last week when it went belly up. So, I missed the last two or three generations of components so last gen isn’t going to bother me. Keeping it under $2K was a big driver so I think this is going to work well. Thanks!
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

After action report, 4 months after build. I love the case and the PS. I can’t even tell if the box is turned on it’s so quiet. I went pretty much verbatim from the BOM above. but added two 2TB NVME cards … wow. Very nice setup.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I've got that very graphics card and even though it's not the newest generation, I'm happy with it. As long as you don't play in 4K, it'll be very quiet. It's heavy beast though. Did the builder put in a support bracket to hold up the back outer corner of the card? My current case has horrible airflow, so until I stick everything in a newer case, I'm staying at 2560X1440. I also installed MSI Afterburner to control it's cooling fans.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.