Nvidia driver crash running bubbles screensaver

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Nvidia driver crash running bubbles screensaver

Post by Tunnelcat »

This is a weird one. When I'm not using my comp, I turn on a screensaver, usually the old MS bouncing bubbles version that came with the OS on Win 10. I had no driver issues using my GTX 2070, but now that I've got a RTX 3080Ti using a studio driver, 517+ version or something, after about an hour and a half, the driver crashes. Sometimes it recovers and sometimes I'm left with a blank black screen and only part of the taskbar. A reboot is then needed. It shows up in the Event Log as a Nvidia driver crash and recovery, sometimes unsuccessful. This driver has not crashed during any lengthy game play, so it appears stable. Since MS is not really keeping these 3D screensavers up to date (the desktop no longer shows up in the background, just a black screen and those pipes they used to have are no longer included), I'm guessing it's the problem here.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re: Nvidia driver crash running bubbles screensaver

Post by fliptw »

I wouldn't be surprised if the issue starts in the screensaver itself. so, to avoid burn, I would just have the monitor power off and suffer thru the gsync stupidity.