Free speech

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Free speech

Post by woodchip »

So what is the fear of listening to this lady:
'The student government at Whitworth University denied a Republican group's request to invite Xi Van Fleet, a survivor of Maoist China, to speak on campus, citing her criticism of "woke culture" and her comparisons of the ideology to her experience under communist rule."
Before you jump up and down, the school is a Cristian school so I am wondering why.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Free speech

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:29 amXi Van Fleet
She's a nobody. Literally a rando with no academic background, nothing published, nothing of note to make her opinion valuable.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Free speech

Post by Tunnelcat »

Oh, and she believes indicting a fascist egomaniacal autocrat like Trump with a crime is the biggest mistake America has ever made. I no more want communism than you do woody. But promoting a hard pull to the fascist right as a result of previous experiences in a communist country is just as dangerous and ignorant. It's reactionary. To sit there and say we're headed that way in right wing media is delusional. I'd say that they made a decent decision.

If you fear communism woody, better take a look at Capitalism itself and greed. Our country is facing a massive homeless and mental health crisis. People can't afford housing or health care, so they live on the streets, take drugs and steal. There's no money for mental health and it was Republicans who cut funding for the state hospitals decades ago (in Oregon) and dumped the problem on the local counties, who can't afford it either. People couldn't afford gas for their cars when the greedy gas companies jacked up their prices a few months ago, because they could, and made record profits doing it without remorse. And you know what? They're jacking up the price for summer, again.

You worry about nanny government telling us what we can and cannot do, but don't bat an eye when governors in right wing states tell their schools what and what is not proper to teach kids in schools. You champion outlawing abortion, but don't install any kind of safety nets for poor women who get pregnant and can't afford to raise the kid the "father" helped create, then conveniently skipped town to avoid. You don't have a problem with a religion getting itself fully involved in creating laws against marginalized people even though the Founding Fathers clearly put in guardrails against government promoting a single religion. So don't gripe about liberals when your brand is just as rotten. Speaking of kids, you want to protect unborn children, but refuse to pass common sense laws to keep guns out of the hands of mass shooters so they don't go into some school and shoot the living ones to death. You may call liberals stupid, but I call conservatives hate filled bigoted hypocrites. This country runs on both progressive and conservative ideas. Shift all one way or another is always disastrous for any democracy. You keep pushing towards the fascist right when instead we should be working together for the betterment of ALL Americans using all ideas, liberal and conservative. So its no surprise that progressives are pulling in the opposite direction, in response to right wingers like you. We need to quit pulling on the political rope against each other and work together. But since your party's platform runs solely on hating liberals and guns for all without restriction and NOTHING ELSE, I don't see common ground anytime soon. You don't want communism and I don't want fascism.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.