May 18th, 1980

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

May 18th, 1980

Post by Tunnelcat »

43 years ago, Mt. Saint Helens blew it's top and killed 57 people. An AI enhanced version of the Rosenquist eruption sequence has been created to showcase the eruption. Rosenquist nearly died while taking these sequences of pictures, but managed to escape along with his friends.

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: May 18th, 1980

Post by TheWhat »

My sister and brother-n-law took me there one of the first years the park was open. It was literal logging roads to get to the "visitors center" - maybe 1988-89. Absolutely incredible to see tens of thousands of trees just bowled over and stripped of green - bahboombah- all was grey. The school bus taking us to the visitor's center had the time lapse images above the windows in order and the photographer might have been running the bus ride but I can't confirm that.

The whole Cascade Range is amazingly beautiful and volcanic. Crater Lake is also amazing, you can't believe the color.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: May 18th, 1980

Post by Tunnelcat »

I was up in Portland the day before. I went back south down the Willamette Valley that night. The next morning, I could see the huge column of ash from over 70 miles away. The only saving grace for Oregon and the whole Willamette Valley that day was that the wind was blowing to the NE, not from the NE, as is usual for this time of year. We would've been buried in feet of ash like Ritzville and Spokane WA if it had.

Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.