What the world has come to...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re: What the world has come to...

Post by Isaac »

Darth Wang wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:24 pm And if Jesus comes back and tells them that the Earth is round, they'll accuse him of being in on the conspiracy. :roll:
Jesus probably thought the world was flat....
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Isaac wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:15 pm
Darth Wang wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:24 pm And if Jesus comes back and tells them that the Earth is round, they'll accuse him of being in on the conspiracy. :roll:
IDK, it was pretty well known to be round even hundreds of years BC.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Darth Wang wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:03 am
Isaac wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:15 pm
IDK, it was pretty well known to be round even hundreds of years BC.
I know people who sailed had to have known. To this day I have no idea how to work an astrolabe and get my geo position with it, but that existed hundreds of years before Jesus was suspected birth date.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Neo wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:59 am I'll just let scientism be over turned during the 1000 year reign of Christ.
Even from a Christian perspective this is such a pathetic, wrongheaded sentiment. If you genuinely believe that God created the universe, then doesn't it follow that studying and understanding how the universe works is a way of showing reverence to that same creation? There's a long, proud philosophical tradition that says as much, I think...take a look at the Jesuits for just one example. And yet your reaction when presented with the opportunity to observe the hand of God at work is to ignore it and bury your head in the sand because somehow Jesus coming back someday makes it all pointless? Ridiculous.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

foolish mortals
vision wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:32 am
Neo wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:59 amI'll just let scientism be over turned during the 1000 year reign of Christ.
What a lazy cop-out.
Oh, look, the guy who thinks I'm a moron. I tried talking to the Royal Society but they didn't want to hear it. They like the currently established "science," it's become like a religion, and i think they're too embarrassed to say it.
Zero, Behemoth, FOIL, Terminal, Neo. The greatest pilots in the universe. :P
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Neo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:37 am foolish mortals I'm a moron.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Neo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:37 am Oh, look, the guy who thinks I'm a moron. I tried talking to the Royal Society but they didn't want to hear it. They like the currently established "science," it's become like a religion, and i think they're too embarrassed to say it.
Gee I can't imagine why the Royal Society didn't have time for some random schmuck on the Internet. Truly a global conspiracy.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Gee, a religious fanatic calling a bunch of science believers another "religion". So who's religion is the truth? Neo's or theirs? No wait. I know exactly how Neo is going to answer that question. His.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

The overwhelming irony in seeing Neo using "scientism" while using everything that science has brought him. :lol:
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

You guys think you're funny, I guess. I didn't talk to them on the Internet.

Jesus created the world, so He knows what it is.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Neo wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:30 pm Jesus created the world so He would know what it is.
How could Jesus create the world if he was born on the world?
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Jesus never said anything about the shape of the Earth.

At least, going by what's written in the Bible.

If you want to ascribe extra words to Jesus that aren't in the Bible, just keep in mind Revelation 22:18.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Isaac wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:53 pm
Neo wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:30 pm Jesus created the world so He would know what it is.
How could Jesus create the world if he was born on the world?
Since Christians believe Jesus is God descended to earth, that goes without saying. Nevermind that the other 2 Abrahamic religions don't believe that at all.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

The other two Abrahamic religions aren’t true, so of course we’d be different. True Christians are the salt of the earth. Jesus once said, “Truly, truly I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM!” then the Pharisees tried to stone Him but He eluded their grasp.

I can show you scriptures that prove the Bible says Jesus is the Creator and God, and He did say something about the earth. Remember that thread where Testiculese said what the Bible says about the earth? :)
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

The Bible doesn't say anything about the shape of the Earth one way or another, except for using clearly metaphorical language like 'four corners of the Earth', but even flat earthers don't believe the Earth is a square.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Also, if everything we've ever discovered in space is all complete fiction, don't you think they would make it more... exciting? After all these years we haven't found so much as a single alien microbe, just lifeless balls of rock, dust, and gas. NASA even went out of their way to take closer-up pictures of stuff like the "Face on Mars" that conspiracy theorists kept claiming was proof of alien life, just to show it was only a natural formation. Hardly sounds like the flat earth conspiracy version of NASA that's trying to convince everyone that there are aliens everywhere. If they could convincingly fake evidence of aliens they would have done so already, just to get more funding.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I was positive this was the exact same thread from 10 years ago, but it has 2023...this is hilarious.

What did I say about the Bible, Neo?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Tunnelcat wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:33 am Since Christians believe Jesus is God descended to earth, that goes without saying.
I guess Catholics believe this, which is what I was raised as when I was little. But that's strange given that Jesus talks to God.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Isaac wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:47 pm
Tunnelcat wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:33 am Since Christians believe Jesus is God descended to earth, that goes without saying.
I guess Catholics believe this, which is what I was raised as when I was little. But that's strange given that Jesus talks to God.
People talk to themselves all the time :lol:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Neo wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:38 pm The other two Abrahamic religions aren’t true, so of course we’d be different. True Christians are the salt of the earth. Jesus once said, “Truly, truly I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM!” then the Pharisees tried to stone Him but He eluded their grasp.

I can show you scriptures that prove the Bible says Jesus is the Creator, or God, and He did say something about the earth. Remember that thread where Testiculese said what the Bible says about the earth? :)
Why am I not surprised you'd say that. You sound just like my sister. Evangelicals follow the true path and all others, even other Christian faiths, are heretics and sinners. Hubris leads to spiritual downfall and Evangelicals are the worst of the Christian lot. They are also the most modern sect and the most removed from the beginnings of historical Christianity. Better keep that hubris in check, or you will fall from grace.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Tunnelcat wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:38 am
Neo wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:38 pm The other two Abrahamic religions aren’t true, so of course we’d be different. True Christians are the salt of the earth. Jesus once said, “Truly, truly I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM!” then the Pharisees tried to stone Him but He eluded their grasp.

I can show you scriptures that prove the Bible says Jesus is the Creator, or God, and He did say something about the earth. Remember that thread where Testiculese said what the Bible says about the earth? :)
Why am I not surprised you'd say that. You sound just like my sister. Evangelicals follow the true path and all others, even other Christian faiths, are heretics and sinners. Hubris leads to spiritual downfall and Evangelicals are the worst of the Christian lot. They are also the most modern sect and the most removed from the beginnings of historical Christianity. Better keep that hubris in check, or you will fall from grace.
Can confirm. I was raised Catholic, the Dallas Cowboys of Christianity, and fall prey to greed and sloth all the time.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Why, Isaac, you're supposed to go the confessional booth and reveal all your sins, so the priest can bless you with absolution in the sacrament of penance, and then God will forgive you. :wink:
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Tunnelcat wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:03 pm Why, Isaac, you're supposed to go the confessional booth and reveal all your sins, so the priest can bless you with absolution in the sacrament of penance, and then God will forgive you. :wink:
Me: "Father it's been like 30+ years since my last confession, nor have I ever voluntarily come to church... It's just too boring. I'm not allowed to be on my phone... pretty sure millennials are all going to hell anyway... Amen"

Father: "You don't say 'Amen' yet"

Me: "Amen! Alright, have a good one."
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Testiculese wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:36 pm I was positive this was the exact same thread from 10 years ago, but it has 2023...this is hilarious.

What did I say about the Bible, Neo?
Oh no he woke up! I was afraid of this. haha

I'll have to do a search and look up what we were talking about. How did you know I mentioned your name? :P
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Darth Wang wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:47 pm Also, if everything we've ever discovered in space is all complete fiction, don't you think they would make it more... exciting? After all these years we haven't found so much as a single alien microbe, just lifeless balls of rock, dust, and gas. NASA even went out of their way to take closer-up pictures of stuff like the "Face on Mars" that conspiracy theorists kept claiming was proof of alien life, just to show it was only a natural formation. Hardly sounds like the flat earth conspiracy version of NASA that's trying to convince everyone that there are aliens everywhere. If they could convincingly fake evidence of aliens they would have done so already, just to get more funding.
What if they can’t fake it?
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

You can’t just overturn science, it’s this way because people would lose their jobs.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Neo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:27 am
Darth Wang wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:47 pm Also, if everything we've ever discovered in space is all complete fiction, don't you think they would make it more... exciting? After all these years we haven't found so much as a single alien microbe, just lifeless balls of rock, dust, and gas. NASA even went out of their way to take closer-up pictures of stuff like the "Face on Mars" that conspiracy theorists kept claiming was proof of alien life, just to show it was only a natural formation. Hardly sounds like the flat earth conspiracy version of NASA that's trying to convince everyone that there are aliens everywhere. If they could convincingly fake evidence of aliens they would have done so already, just to get more funding.
What if they can’t fake it?
That would be strange, since you're positing a worldwide, 2.5 millennium old conspiracy that would have to be virtually omnipotent to do what you claim it does. If they can somehow patrol a 70,000 km+ Antarctic coastline constantly, make sure that every international agency is completely in lockstep (even in countries that hate each other), broadcast real-time footage from the ISS that matches up precisely to weather radar, somehow involve every amateur astronomer, airline pilot, and ham radio operator in the world in their conspiracy, and even invent imaginary principles of physics and math that couldn't possibly be true with a flat Earth model (yet just so happen to work perfectly whenever the equations are run), they could certainly fake the discovery of alien life, or the remains thereof.

BTW:

This amateur built a rocket and launched it 90 km up into the mesosphere, equipped with a rectilinear camera that clearly photographed the Earth's curvature. But you will probably just accuse him of being in on the conspiracy.

So it makes me wonder, what evidence would actually convince you that the Earth is round?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

He has no evidence, other than words written in a centuries old book.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Isaac wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:38 pm
Tunnelcat wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:03 pm Why, Isaac, you're supposed to go the confessional booth and reveal all your sins, so the priest can bless you with absolution in the sacrament of penance, and then God will forgive you. :wink:
Me: "Father it's been like 30+ years since my last confession, nor have I ever voluntarily come to church... It's just too boring. I'm not allowed to be on my phone... pretty sure millennials are all going to hell anyway... Amen"

Father: "You don't say 'Amen' yet"

Me: "Amen! Alright, have a good one."
:lol:
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Tunnelcat wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:09 pm He has no evidence, other than words written in a centuries old book.
Not even that, actually. The Bible never says the Earth is flat.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

Neo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:30 am You can’t just overturn science, it’s this way because people would lose their jobs.
Also, this is literally the opposite of how science works. All of the most famous scientists: Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Galileo, Pasteur, Curie, Hawking, etc. are famous precisely because they made new discoveries and formulated new theories that supplanted and overturned what was previously thought to be true. But they all did it by actually gathering evidence, performing experiments, and demonstrating that their models worked better than the previous ones, not by accusing everyone who disagreed with them of all being part of a giant conspiracy.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Darth Wang wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:30 pm
Tunnelcat wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:09 pm He has no evidence, other than words written in a centuries old book.
Not even that, actually. The Bible never says the Earth is flat.
True. But Protestants fighting against Catholicism helped mainstream the idea, especially to fight Darwinism. And Evangelical Christians are a newer branch of the whole Protestant movement.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Um… remember? I came from schooling just like you. Or not like you. So I believed the earth was a ball which contradicts Genesis, not to mention that the Bible doesn’t say the earth is a ball. I’m not your sister. There’s a reason I don’t want to talk too much about flat earth or do your research for you.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Darth Wang wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:30 pm
Neo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:30 am You can’t just overturn science, it’s this way because people would lose their jobs.
Also, this is literally the opposite of how science works. All of the most famous scientists: Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Galileo, Pasteur, Curie, Hawking, etc. are famous precisely because they made new discoveries and formulated new theories that supplanted and overturned what was previously thought to be true. But they all did it by actually gathering evidence, performing experiments, and demonstrating that their models worked better than the previous ones, not by accusing everyone who disagreed with them of all being part of a giant conspiracy.
People don’t do science that way anymore. Don’t be naive.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

There is evidence besides the Bible. I told you to look for it, not make me do all the work for you. Most of those scientists you mentioned never existed. The conspiracy is easy to pull off if you have a certain psychotronic weapon. (faults at the end where we are now :lol: )
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Neo wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:57 am Um… remember? I came from schooling just like you. Or not like you. So I believed the earth was a ball which contradicts Genesis, not to mention that the Bible doesn’t say the earth is a ball. I’m not your sister. There’s a reason I don’t want to talk too much about flat earth or do your research for you.
You claim you've done research, yet offer none of it here. My sister is a Bible literalist and dedicated follower of Jesus, and even she believes you're nuts.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

Neo wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:00 amPeople don’t do science that way anymore. Don’t be naive.
As someone who worked in a lab that published a controversial paper several years ago, I can assure you people still do science this way. No one lost their job, and the experimental procedure we found to be unreliable is now only used for limited cases within certain bounds and in most cases has been slowly replaced with more reliable ones.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Tunnelcat wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:18 am
Neo wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:57 am Um… remember? I came from schooling just like you. Or not like you. So I believed the earth was a ball which contradicts Genesis, not to mention that the Bible doesn’t say the earth is a ball. I’m not your sister. There’s a reason I don’t want to talk too much about flat earth or do your research for you.
You claim you've done research, yet offer none of it here. My sister is a Bible literalist and dedicated follower of Jesus, and even she believes you're nuts.
I don't care what your sister thinks. Jesus loves me, and He tells me the truth. She was lied to like all the rest of us, so for her ball earth is the truth. Also, I disagree with most Republican Christians.

I can answer questions like I said, but I don't like the insults and Isaac trolling.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

vision wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:46 am
Neo wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:00 amPeople don’t do science that way anymore. Don’t be naive.
As someone who worked in a lab that published a controversial paper several years ago, I can assure you people still do science this way. No one lost their job, and the experimental procedure we found to be unreliable is now only used for limited cases within certain bounds and in most cases has been slowly replaced with more reliable ones.
Nobody cares about those papers, man. That's why I didn't write anything. I'm saying if certain things were widely accepted people would lose their jobs, but they aren't. You shouldn't call me a moron if you can't even understand what I'm saying.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

I'm curious, among the list of Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Galileo, Pasteur, Curie, and Hawking, which of them do you believe "never existed"?