Crush Depth

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Crush Depth

Post by Tunnelcat »

So, it appears that the missing Titanic tourist sub, which vanished days ago, may have imploded at depth near the Titanic and killed the entire crew. A debris field has been found near the main wreck by a Coast Guard ROV. I guess carbon fiber, which this vessel was partially made out of, could not withstand the repeated extreme depth pressure cycling and appears to have finally failed catastrophically. Sad that it may have taken 5 lives to finally understand that. Retrieval of the wreckage may tell all. But the question is, is it safe to take paying customers down that deep in the ocean in an untested commercial vessel in the first place? Especially one constructed of a material never proven for extended reliable use in the deep ocean or the fact that the crew had to be bolted and unbolted from the sub just to get in or out? There was no operable pressure hatch on this thing. I think OceanGate will end up bankrupt from all the lawsuits that result from this mishap. And what a name for a company. :roll:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/missing-su ... ast-guard/

https://abc7ny.com/missing-titanic-sub- ... /13409850/
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Crush Depth

Post by Spidey »

I'm surprised you even care about 5 dead rich people.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

It is difficult to feel much sympathy for a Pakistani billionaire. One does not become that wealthy in a country with so much poverty by being a nice or upstanding guy.

That being said, with "catastrophic implosion" as the description of the accident then at least they probably died instantly without ever realizing something was wrong.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Well, if one believes in karma, those few ghosts of the Titanic who were fabulously wealthy and the majority who were dirt poor, now have some rich idiots joining them down there in that mass dark grave of stupidity. Even the company CEO went down with his ship. The Titanic curse strikes twice. Make no mistake. Both accidents were the result of human arrogance and extravagant wealth spent for the most insipid of reasons. I guess if you can afford to cough up 250 grand for this little excursion, you must've known you risked of getting turned into hamburger puree and fish food.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Spidey wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:27 pm I'm surprised you even care about 5 dead rich people.
"So we're saving the galaxy again?"
"Yup."
"Awesome! We're really gonna be able to jack up our price if we're two-time galaxy savers."
"I seriously can’t believe that is where your mind goes."
"It was just a random thought, man! I thought we were friends! Of course I care about the planets, and the buildings, and all of the animals on the planets."
"And the people."
"Meh."
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

If you look up hubris in the dictionary, there is a picture of Stockton Rush.
si vis pacem, para bellum
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

What is really curious was the navy knew within a hour that the sub was kaput, yet the news media took a week to figure it out. Good distraction from the Hunter Biden/Joe Biden crime family affairs though I see even CNN is now starting to focus on it.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

They detected a sound that early. They had to actually investigate to find out what it was and confirm the submarine was destroyed first, by finding the wreckage.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

woodchip wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:44 am What is really curious was the navy knew within a hour that the sub was kaput, yet the news media took a week to figure it out. Good distraction from the Hunter Biden/Joe Biden crime family affairs though I see even CNN is now starting to focus on it.
Wow, you've got a one track mind, don't you? :roll:

Yes, the Navy had to search back through their recorded signals and heard the anomaly early on, because no sounds were picked up AFTER the sub went missing, except for some banging noises, which spurred on the search. But like Darth Wang indicated, they still had to search for the wreckage of the sub to verify it. They couldn't have just come out and said it's destroyed without proof for the searchers and families of the victims. I figured it had been destroyed early on because of all the controversy surrounding this whole rich boy money making scam.

https://www.ibtimes.sg/us-navys-top-sec ... -why-70679

And it's policy for the Coast Guard to not seek restitution for multi-million dollar searches, even when searching for a bunch of rich idiots who should've known better. Plus, the U.S. doesn't regulate subs not registered in the U.S. playing in international waters. Should they, since you'd rather see the free market run things as it sees fit, not the government? Private risk, public pay to clean up the mess.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/foot-bill-tit ... =100339399
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

I bet they stashed Hunter Biden's laptop on the sub.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

No one watches CNN. I thought that was common knowledge. There are many times during the week of broadcasting their audience is like 350,000 out of a country of 330 million. They get the bulk of their numbers from 55 and older - young people don't really use those outlets for anything other than the footage (photo journalism) - but you knew that Woody. ;-)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Vander wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:05 am I bet they stashed Hunter Biden's laptop on the sub.
Don't give deluded minds any ideas now. :P
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woody looks for Hunter Biden under his bed every night. Obsessed.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Right next to Hillary's missing emails.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Looks like someone wanted him dead. :o I saw a job posting that was posted not long before the trip.... I'd have to find it though. x_x
Zero, Behemoth, FOIL, Terminal, Neo. The greatest pilots in the universe. :P
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Neo wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:45 am Looks like someone wanted him dead. :o I saw a job posting that was posted not long before the trip.... I'd have to find it though. x_x
I heard Ben Shapiro say he boosted the Titan news to drown-out the coverage on Hunter Biden's son.

People believing Hunter Biden is somehow connected to the Titan explosion:
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

They've recovered human remains, if you can call compressed meat paste "remains". Most of those remains are probably crammed into the ends of both pressure domes too. And no, conspiracy theories about Hunter Biden can't cover up stupidity and arrogance. Who in their right minds would bank their lives on a titanium/carbon fiber "tube" to withstand the extreme pressures nearly 2 miles down in the ocean? The people who built that sub flunked basic physics, or were arrogant enough to believe they could outsmart physics with superior technology.