No Virginia, the economy is not that great.

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

No Virginia, the economy is not that great.

Post by Spidey »

While the government and the media keep a LASER focus on a few factors that are mostly abstract to the average person, the economy that people are experiencing is really not so good, but they keep wondering why people are not getting the message.

Housing...outrageous.
Rent...outrageous.
Insurance...outrageous.
Cost of consumer debt...outrageous.
Cost of a college education...outrageous.
Cost of medicines...outrageous.
Energy...outrageous.

Gas is down...I guess that is a small bright spot.

Sure, inflation is down, but the inflated prices are still high, coming home with a small bag of groceries that cost 50 bucks is not a thrill.

Unemployment is down and the economy is making a lot of jobs, but a big factor is how many people have left the market. We have thousands of unfilled jobs in the manufacturing and tech sectors dragging down productivity. And Nadler's fruit pickers are not going to fix that problem. Immigration helps but it won't fix the systemic problems.

The education system is failing to produce the educated/motivated workers that become the skilled workers that the above fields need.

People are leaving the medical and education systems in droves.

Half of the people do not have the savings to get past even a small emergency.

Etc. etc. etc. the list goes on and on...so no Virginia, the economy is not doing that great.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: No Virginia, the economy is not that great.

Post by Krom »

Oh look another giant list of problems that conservatives absolutely hate the solutions to.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I've noticed that. Items like steak have remained high. A tenderloin steak that cost $12.99 a pound before Covid STILL costs $34.99 months later post pandemic. A store in Portland is charging $44.00 a pound for the same thing. Eggs and dairy may be going down, but they're still high. Rent is still creeping higher, even though mortgage rates have stayed about the same or even slightly dropped. My grocery bills are still averaging higher post pandemic. There's more work to go, but it's not even close to returning to the pre-pandemic levels yet.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Krom wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:27 pm Oh look another giant list of problems that conservatives absolutely hate the solutions to.
Sure, I keep forgetting that conservatives are the root of all evil, but how about addressing my point that something can be white and someone will tell you it's black and expect you to believe it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

By all objective measures the economy is doing great, except in all the areas that have been voting for conservatives and especially the places that have been voting for and ruled by conservatives for pretty much the entire last 50 years. Makes you think doesn't it.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Spidey wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:03 pm While the government and the media keep a LASER focus on a few factors that are mostly abstract to the average person, the economy that people are experiencing is really not so good, but they keep wondering why people are not getting the message.

Housing...outrageous.
Rent...outrageous.
Insurance...outrageous.
Cost of consumer debt...outrageous.
Cost of a college education...outrageous.
Cost of medicines...outrageous.
Energy...outrageous.
Can be fixed if republicans actually wanted to help people. But they don't, won't, and keep this going to blame dems.
Gas is down...I guess that is a small bright spot.
Biden did this. Actually, it's a lot more nuanced than this, but we can sum it up as so.

Sure, inflation is down
A dem thing
but the inflated prices are still high, coming home with a small bag of groceries that cost 50 bucks is not a thrill.
Republican and corporation thing.
Unemployment is down and the economy is making a lot of jobs
Dem thing.
but a big factor is how many people have left the market. We have thousands of unfilled jobs in the manufacturing and tech sectors dragging down productivity.
Corporate thing. They won't pay workers a fair wage so workers left.
And Nadler's fruit pickers are not going to fix that problem. Immigration helps but it won't fix the systemic problems.
Another corporate thing.
The education system is failing to produce the educated/motivated workers that become the skilled workers that the above fields need.
Republican gutting education created this, corporations are continuing this by paying garbage wages.
People are leaving the medical and education systems in droves.
Republican thing.
Half of the people do not have the savings to get past even a small emergency.
Republican thing
Etc. etc. etc. the list goes on and on...so no Virginia, the economy is not doing that great.
Yup. Gotta love republicans who create and perpetuate problems while screaming "X is the problem! But we can fix it!" but never do.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Take pretty much any problem on the list, and you can probably find examples of democrats proposing legislation to do something about it with the republicans immediately going "NO! Not like that!".
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Can we still vote for that Rent Is Too Damn High Party guy?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Krom wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:07 pm By all objective measures the economy is doing great, except in all the areas that have been voting for conservatives and especially the places that have been voting for and ruled by conservatives for pretty much the entire last 50 years. Makes you think doesn't it.
Well, that was my point, all of the objective measures leave out far too many factors.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

The nature of an objective measure is it includes many factors. That's why they call it 'objective'. It doesn't mean 'neutral' or 'certain viewpoint'.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Considering that all conservatives have ever done for economic stimulus while in office is cut taxes and fall back on trickle down economics, which has been shown time and time again that it's a failed policy, I don't see them changing anything that doesn't follow that metric in the future either.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I got a solution that republicans can get behind: Grab your ★■◆●ing bootstraps and pull yourself up you lazy little ★■◆●.

Its what republicans tell everyone else to do. :P

Meanwhile, as you complain about all these problems, what are the republicans with any power actually focused on?
Hunter Biden. Trying to find a way to legalize indiscriminately murdering people at the southern border. How to use the debt they constantly increase when they are in power to sabotage democrats.

The truth is republicans have zero interest in even addressing any of the problems this thread is talking about. It is very much in their interest that the conservative base remains poor, stupid and angry because it makes them easier to radicalize, and a radicalized base will never vote for the other party. Republicans in higher levels of government will absolutely put the maximum effort to make your life worse if they think it will benefit them or give them more power. Even better if their policies drive away wealthy liberals with the means to escape, push them all into a few cities so the republicans can lock up the electoral college and house of representatives.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

How many times do I have to tell you shits that I'm not a Republican?

And for all of your supposed intelligence you can't seem to get the point of my OP.

I don't really give a ★■◆● about the economy at this point in my life so I'm sure as hell not going to complain about it, and I care even less about whose fault the problems are caused by. And you can go on shitting on Republicans for as long as you wish, I'm not going to be dragged into that debate or offended by it.

My point was about being lied to and being expected to believe that lie, and why people are so dumbfounded when you don't believe it.

The list was a counter point to the few and far between metrics that the media and government have been shoving at people to prove how great the economy is, and nothing more. (and there is plenty more to add to that list)

And you should really try and stop contradicting yourself by claiming the economy is great, but at the same time admitting to the problems I pointed out. But of course, the opportunity to spew hatred is far too great to let go of.

And please take note...I didn't get personal until you did.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

The point of the op is the Virginia economy sucks. That isn't my problem or really Biden's either. I'm sick and tired of conservatives bitching about their problems when the only answer they will accept is to keep doing the same ★■◆● they have been doing for 50 years and or kill some immigrants/LGBTQ/<some other persecuted minority> and think that will make things better.

Why should any of us in better economic areas give a ★■◆● when conservatives hate all the proposed solutions?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The title of the post was a play on words.

Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus.

I live in Philadelphia PA.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Dissatisfaction means capitalism is working as intended.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Darth Wang »

It's almost never correct to say that the POTUS is directly responsible for gas prices.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

> Doesn't care about economy in this stage of his life
> Starts thread about the economy

Pick one.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Thread was about media and government disinformation.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

It's called marketing.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Propaganda. Both parties do it in spades. Why? So they'll win some damn upcoming election to keep their sorry asses in power. That's the only thing that motivates nearly ALL politicians, Republican and Democrat. Prove me wrong.