Help identify this 3Dfx card

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Help identify this 3Dfx card

Post by Mobius »

It's a Diamond - obviously. It's PCI. What model?

I plan to mount it in a picture frame. I toyed with "In Emergency, Breakl Glass", but I'm just gonna put in the make, model, date and specs.

Check the THREE cores!!! LOL.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Voodoo 2, need to see the back side to determine if it's 8 or 12 megs. They use EDO ram @ 25ms

The official title is:
DIAMOND MONSTER 3D II PCI

Thank god you don't run a videocard help page... Image
Arch
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Arch »

Come on Mobi, you didn't know that was a Voodoo 2 card? Sheesh... Image
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

/me instantly recognizes 3 chip voodoo2 design. * Reaches over into shelf, pulls out Diamond Monster 3D II 8 MB card, yep, thats a Monster 3D II, gotta see the back to tell if its a 8 MB or a 12 MB tho. 8 MB only has 4 memory chips on the back, 12 MB has the full 12 memory chips on the back.

IIRC the two upper chips are the texture units, the lower chip is the pixel unit.

-Krom
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Mobi, you can also look on the back of the card and run a search using the FCC ID on the FCC website.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

*pulls out gun*
come here mobius
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Obviously that's the Bitchen Half-Assed Daisychain Pluss Pluss. Image

Just hang it on the wall with pins throught the holes in the PCB. That's what I did with my Voodoo 5.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Jebus... Is that a floppy port in the upper left corner???
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

/me slaps Vindi...

No, that's where the SLI cable goes to daisychain two cards for twice the performance
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

When their powers combine...they become...Voodoo Floppies! The magical ghost of a disk that's a friend to everyone. Whee!!
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

hahaha lmfao.. Nice!
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

those 4 on the bottom right, they say 100 MHz, what are those for?
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

They're decoration. It helps the product to look complicated, so stupid people would pay more.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

lol
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Wicked - thanks guys. I've never owned a 3Dfx card - so I had no idea what it was. Yeah - it's the 8MB model, only 4 chips on the back of it. I wondered about the "floppy cable socket" too!

FYI, it was wired through an S3 Virge 2D card in a box with a Pentium 200 in it.

My first 3D card was the Matrox G400 and prior to that I had some crappy 2D thing with 512KB of RAM in my 486 DX66! HEH.

I wonder what original purchase price was? Musta been hella expensive yeah? Must have been someone's pride and joy at some stage. My buddy was gonna chuck the box in the skip - but when I saw it was a Voodoo (I knew *that* much!) I figured it was a great piece of history for my Technology Museum. Image
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Who cares what kind of card it is. I'm too busy looking at stresstest's avatar! Yes I know, worthless, pointless post that doesn't contribute anything but I couldn't help myself. Sorry Mobi.
Honest Bob
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Honest Bob »

Hey I got one of those!

I tried to chain it with my Voodoo 3 2000 back when I found it. Cant remember if it worked or not though.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Voodoo 3 2000 didnt have a SLI connector, i had two of them, one for my puter and one for my dads. they did not have that connector on it
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I've got the exact same card! Mobi...maybe we could breed them!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Ace, your stupidity never ceases to amaze me. The Voodoo3 cards dont have SLI, they are single chip cards. We arent talking about Voodoo3s here, we are talking about Voodoo2s! Voodoo3 2000 != Voodoo2 8MB.

-Krom
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

I have an old Diamond Monster Fusion with the dreaded Banshee chipset. I think it's in the old P200 the wife is using.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Krom:
<b> Ace, your stupidity never ceases to amaze me. The Voodoo3 cards dont have SLI, they are single chip cards. We arent talking about Voodoo3s here, we are talking about Voodoo2s! Voodoo3 2000 != Voodoo2 8MB.

-Krom</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um... Krom?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Honest Bob:
<b> Hey I got one of those!

I tried to chain it with my Voodoo 3 2000 back when I found it. Cant remember if it worked or not though.</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the post directly above Ace's.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

KROM = PWND3D!! Image
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Yeah I noticed that right after I posted, but didnt feel like changing it because its still true and I'm a lazy bastard.
MehYam
DBB Head Flapper
DBB Head Flapper

Post by MehYam »

Mobius, why would you call yourself a lazy bastard? You should do something about that, like join a gym.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

no one answered my question about those 4 chips on the bottom right that have "100MHz" written on them, are those the Bus clock chips or what are they?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Krom:
Yeah I noticed that right after I posted, but didnt feel like changing it because its still true and I'm a lazy bastard.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

STFU, lazy, im right
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

They are RAM chips, just like all the others, just happens that the Voodoo2 in question uses two different types of RAM chips instead of just one kind for them all like mine. The stepping on the actual chips differs on my Voodoo2 also.

-Krom
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

OK Ace since your A1+ clueless

Voodoo²

V2 8MB = 4MB frame buffer& 2MB texture buffer& 8MB onboard ram
V2 12MB= 4MB frame buffer& 4MB texture buffer& 12MB onboard ram

In SLI mode Onboard Ram on the second card was disabled and ONLY the Frame/Texture buffer was used on the Second card

V2 in sli = you doubled Frame/texture Ram but maintained 8/12MB onboard ram

the stuff at the top is for the single Pixelfx 2 and two Texelfx 2 units. The rest is on the bottom right and on the back is SDRAM MEMORY( 25ns 100MHz )

V2-1000( 12MB ) by 3dfx was the card designation when the V3's came out the only card that supported SLI from the 3dfx branded line
V3 2000 was a PCI card V3 no SLI
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

yeah cause the V3 had no need for a 2D card like the V2s did cause they where made for 3D not 2D\3D like the Voodoo Rush and V3+

IIRC the 1st Voodoo card was a daughter card just like the V2 but slower and onley 4mbs if my memory works right
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

lol, we still have our Voodoo 2 12mb card in one of our older machines here Image

I still have a lot of fond memories of that thing. Playing D2_3DFX and Quake II with it on an old Pentium classic box...mmm, yeah, those were the days Image
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by BUBBALOU:
<b> OK Ace since your A1+ clueless

Text Replaced with "BLAH BLAH BLAH"
"The rest is on the bottom right and on the back is SDRAM MEMORY( 25ns 100MHz )"

Again replaced with "BLAH BLAH BLAH"</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thank you again Mr. Need-for-absolute-techno-babble-that-had-nothing-to-do-with-my-question.

TY, so those are RAM Chips

i didnt need a breakdown of the entire card, i just wanted to know what those 4 chips were